Cheveral House Racehorse Rehoming

BlueSocks

Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of rehoming and ex racer. Cheveral House Racehorse Rehoming is fairly local to me - does anyone have a Cheveral House ex racer and what are your opinions/experiences of the yard? How has it gone with your horse? Be great to hear some stories, be it good or bad! Thanks in advance x

Polos Mum

Visit site
I had one from there several years ago, the lady was lovely and honest.
The yard is on a steep slope so there is no flat surface to get a vetting done - if this is important to you it rules them out
She also has a shielding relative on site so at the moment is not doing viewings - until Covid is sorted they are only being sold from video's / descriptions - again if you want to try they won't be any use to you currently.

Mine was as she described - although I was naive about what 7 years of racing had done to his brain.

I lost him about 2 years after buying (only a year into work as I'd given him 12 months off to chill out) to kissing spin that didn't respond to treatment - I wouldn't buy an older ex racer again - but that's not their fault more an issue with the industry.

Michen

Visit site
They are basically a dealer- not saying that's a bad thing but make no mistake they are doing it to make a profit.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I had one from there several years ago, the lady was lovely and honest.
The yard is on a steep slope so there is no flat surface to get a vetting done - if this is important to you it rules them out
She also has a shielding relative on site so at the moment is not doing viewings - until Covid is sorted they are only being sold from video's / descriptions - again if you want to try they won't be any use to you currently.

Mine was as she described - although I was naive about what 7 years of racing had done to his brain.

I lost him about 2 years after buying (only a year into work as I'd given him 12 months off to chill out) to kissing spin that didn't respond to treatment - I wouldn't buy an older ex racer again - but that's not their fault more an issue with the industry.

Thanks @Polos Mum sorry to hear you lost him after such a short time. I suppose with ex racers sold cheaply this is the risk we run - some turn out well, some don't. Glad to hear you had a good experience with them despite what happened after though. Did you bother having him vetted when you got him? For such cheaply priced horses I'm never sure if it's worth it or not, particularly as a stage two probably doesn't pick much up anyway.
Did he turn out to be a bit of a headcase then? Or just more challenging than anticipated?

BlueSocks

Visit site
They are basically a dealer- not saying that's a bad thing but make no mistake they are doing it to make a profit.

@Michen I know, this is where I'm sticking a bit with them, obviously like you say, it's not necessarily a bad thing and the prices are so low if it all went wrong I don't think I'd feel ripped off, but obviously they look like they don't do a huge amount with them pre sale, is it's not like they re school etc. But they do seem to have a nice attitude towards finding good homes. Hmmm!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
No experience but I always like the look of the stock they get in. They sometimes share people’s posts of their sold horses out in their new homes doing fun things, maybe worth contacting one of the new owners for their experiences?

Polos Mum

Visit site
Thanks @Polos Mum Did you bother having him vetted when you got him?
Did he turn out to be a bit of a headcase then? Or just more challenging than anticipated?

I didn't get him vetted at home - like you say for less than 4 figures i felt it wasn't worth it - he'd raced for 6 years so I thought he must have been reasonably robust.

Mine came from a yard that I found out afterwards trained them by chasing them round a small gallops with a vehicle - he was v tricky to turn out - which I hadn't anticipated. I should have done more digging into his trainer and how that individual manage them - to get a better feel for what to expect.

Given what I now know about the damage done to breaking a horse in at 2 I wouldn't have another one if given for free. Yes there are some lovely ones competing at top level but given the volumes they are very much the exception not the rule and it's a gamble I'm not prepared to take emotionally (the financial gamble is relatively small but the heartache when you see a years worth of time and a nice animal ruined is hard).

I gave him a year off to let his head settle down so he wasn't to much of a headcase - until his back was sore - then it was nuts but understandable once I'd seen xrays :(

sprytzer

Visit site
My daughter and I bought 2 from Kate, both from photo/videos, both arrived as described and do what it said on the tin!
Would recommend highly, there’s a lot of Cheveral horses in our wee area of Scotland and we have our own fb Page to follow them.
Kate is not a dealer she gives these horses a 2 nd chance at life where many would be thrown in sales or end up with bin end dealers.
Kate’s daughter is Hayley Turner the well know jockey.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I didn't get him vetted at home - like you say for less than 4 figures i felt it wasn't worth it - he'd raced for 6 years so I thought he must have been reasonably robust.

Mine came from a yard that I found out afterwards trained them by chasing them round a small gallops with a vehicle - he was v tricky to turn out - which I hadn't anticipated. I should have done more digging into his trainer and how that individual manage them - to get a better feel for what to expect.

Given what I now know about the damage done to breaking a horse in at 2 I wouldn't have another one if given for free. Yes there are some lovely ones competing at top level but given the volumes they are very much the exception not the rule and it's a gamble I'm not prepared to take emotionally (the financial gamble is relatively small but the heartache when you see a years worth of time and a nice animal ruined is hard).

I gave him a year off to let his head settle down so he wasn't to much of a headcase - until his back was sore - then it was nuts but understandable once I'd seen xrays :(

Chased them round???? Flipping heck not surprised he was a bit disturbed then! Care to share the name of this trainer so I can be sure to avoid one of their horses?! PM me of course. It's amazing what people think is acceptable isn't it?

BlueSocks

Visit site
My daughter and I bought 2 from Kate, both from photo/videos, both arrived as described and do what it said on the tin!
Would recommend highly, there’s a lot of Cheveral horses in our wee area of Scotland and we have our own fb Page to follow them.
Kate is not a dealer she gives these horses a 2 nd chance at life where many would be thrown in sales or end up with bin end dealers.

Hi @sprytzer that's great! How long have you had yours? Good to hear you know others too. I requested to join the FB owners page so I could see how people were getting on, don't know if I'll be accepted though as obviously I don't match the criteria at the mo. Had yours had any basic retraining of just some time off?

sprytzer

Visit site
Hi @sprytzer that's great! How long have you had yours? Good to hear you know others too. I requested to join the FB owners page so I could see how people were getting on, don't know if I'll be accepted though as obviously I don't match the criteria at the mo. Had yours had any basic retraining of just some time off?
Hi, we’ve had them 3 yrs now, both had plenty of down time to chill, not doing much with them at the moment due to my daughter renovating her house and my health, but they’ll not leave us now.

Attachments

• 272996E2-38C4-4C7E-9161-5027C2AF326E.jpeg
    272996E2-38C4-4C7E-9161-5027C2AF326E.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 31
  • 3B43A456-4B8B-48BE-850D-2C4403F2B1E8.jpeg
    3B43A456-4B8B-48BE-850D-2C4403F2B1E8.jpeg
    403.7 KB · Views: 31

BlueSocks

Visit site
Hi, we’ve had them 3 yrs now, both had plenty of down time to chill, not doing much with them at the moment due to my daughter renovating her house and my health, but they’ll not leave us now.

Ahhh they are lovely!!!! Looking nice and chunky too even in the wilds of Scotland! Thanks for sending the pics x

BlueSocks

Visit site
Kate won’t sell to anyone either as she tries to make sure you match the horse, if not suitable she will tell you.

Yeah that's what attracted me to Cheveral, they do seem to really care where the horses go which I hope also means they disclose any problems etc.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’m from the area originally so have come into contact with a fair few of their horses and the some of trainers they have come from. My impression is that they have a good reputation and do seem to take time over matching horse and home.
There is always a lot of interest with their horses via Facebook, so the downside is that there is usually a lot of interest in each horse.

I did enquire years ago for a horse but they were swamped with applicants and do seem to go to ‘quick buyers’.
Personally, I’ve had more success with approaching trainers directly.

Melody Grey

Visit site

From what I can tell, they are a dealer by definition in that they are a business selling multiple horses rather than having a re-homing fee as charities would.

They are making money from selling horses, whether that is their main objective or not.

Michen

Visit site

She is a dealer. They get given ex racehorses for free and they are then sold usually within days for £500 quid or so. Sometimes more if ridden. Nothing wrong with that but they aren’t “rehoming” in the charitable sense they are selling. It is a business.

Trouper

Visit site
I would try somewhere like the Thoroughbred Rehoming Centre. It may be a lot further away from you but they will have done the groundwork on all the horses, can match you to the right horse and you have the security of the charity behind you if things go wrong with you or the horse.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I would try somewhere like the Thoroughbred Rehoming Centre. It may be a lot further away from you but they will have done the groundwork on all the horses, can match you to the right horse and you have the security of the charity behind you if things go wrong with you or the horse.

Hi @Trouper , thanks for the suggestion. The distance isn't a problem. For some reason I just feel a bit weird about the loaning thing that most of the charities seem to do. I've never not owned my own horses so to loan feels a bit alien to me! I know it's a lifetime loan thing and I'm being daft but it's just this nagging thing I have about it. I'll definitely give it more thought though.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I was also quite interested in the Godolphin rehoming programme. It appeals to me that you take ownership of the horse after a trail period, and that they've had some rehab and groundwork. Anyone had any experience of them?

IrishMilo

Visit site
Look up Sophie Kate Silvester on Facebook. She works at a racing yard in Newmarket and regularly has ones who haven’t made the cut for sale for dirt cheap.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I was also quite interested in the Godolphin rehoming programme. It appeals to me that you take ownership of the horse after a trail period, and that they've had some rehab and groundwork. Anyone had any experience of them?

I had one off Godolphin a few years ago. I registered with them then they called me when they had something suitable in. I viewed him and collected him a week later. After 3 months I bought him for £100 plus vat. He was lovely but not quite what I wanted. He started to panic out hacking. After that we just stuck to the school and progressed in dressage. He was great at that. Unfortunately a couple of years later he was diagnosed with psd in both Hinds. I went through a lengthy rehab with him but he was so unsettled. I called Godolphin and they immediately offered to have him back. He went back and settled straight in. Unfortunately a few months later he was pts as nothing could be done. Cant fault Godolphin. A friend has a horse from Cheveral bought for £500 unridden. He has been nothing but problems health wise. I think rehoming from Cheveral is no more of a risk than buying from elsewhere.

BlueSocks

Visit site
I had one off Godolphin a few years ago. I registered with them then they called me when they had something suitable in. I viewed him and collected him a week later. After 3 months I bought him for £100 plus vat. He was lovely but not quite what I wanted. He started to panic out hacking. After that we just stuck to the school and progressed in dressage. He was great at that. Unfortunately a couple of years later he was diagnosed with psd in both Hinds. I went through a lengthy rehab with him but he was so unsettled. I called Godolphin and they immediately offered to have him back. He went back and settled straight in. Unfortunately a few months later he was pts as nothing could be done. Cant fault Godolphin. A friend has a horse from Cheveral bought for £500 unridden. He has been nothing but problems health wise. I think rehoming from Cheveral is no more of a risk than buying from elsewhere.

Thanks @Fern007 , it's really useful to hear everyone's experiences. Sorry it didn't work out for you with your horse but obviously that's a very good reflection on Godolphin taking him back etc. Yeah it does seem like when looking at ex racers, really it's pot luck wherever they come from. Although I don't know if we read more into it because they're "ex racers", let's face it buying and owning horses in general is often pot luck too!

HashRouge

Visit site
I think rehoming from Cheveral is no more of a risk than buying from elsewhere.
Yeah I'd say that. I've followed Cheveral House on Facebook for years and they do seem to have some lovely horses come through, but obviously there are always going to be the associated risks of having an ex-racer and knowing they were likely backed far too young.

stormox

Visit site
I know someone who had a super horse off Cheveral, she took her time with him and 2 years later is going really well, hacking schooling and jumping. He's giving her loads of fun. I wouldnt worry about people saying she,s a dealer - a lot of so called 'charities' turn out to be dealers!
There is also Derek Shaw ex racehorse rehoming, and I know of a lovely fella from there too.