Chew toys for horses

Boughtabay

Visit site
As title really. I have a very mouthy horse - thought he’d grow out of it but he hasn’t and I could do with something I could hang up or tie up that he can pick up with his teeth and flap about as he’s recently turned his attention to stripping a wooden beam in his stable 🤦‍♀️

He doesn’t crib he just loves picking things up in his teeth and playing with them 🙄

Boughtabay

Visit site
Jolly Ball! You can get normal ones or if he’d prefer peppermint or apple scented ones. They can fling them around loose or you can tie them on string so they don’t get lobbed over the stable door 🤣

Oh a scented one might work! He’s got a treat ball that he pays no attention to so I hadn’t thought of another ball 😂

Taliesan

Visit site
I've bought an XL dog rope toy for Apollo to play with. I wanted a short one so, when he flings it about, it isn't long enough for him to whack himself (or me) in the face:

Not sure I'd ever leave him with it unsupervised though.

I know you said yours doesn't crib, but I've bought a Goughnut dog stick for Apollo to crib on:

He just loves having things in his mouth. He doesn't crib as often now and, instead, will go to chew on his stick instead of sucking in air. I've bolted it to a piece of wood to hold it in place.

You could also drill a hole through it, thread some rope through and then hang it up somewhere?

I've often thought about buying another to take with me on walks so, when he feels the need to chew something, I can offer him the stick instead of him picking a piece of my clothing.

I wouldn't just give them the stick on its own, as they could try and eat it, but they are a great thing to use for chewers if bolted to something else to hold it in place.

If you want a photo of what I've done with this for Apollo's cribbing devices then I'm more than happy to take some tomorrow.

I do have a jolly ball as well and it was very much ignored!

Boughtabay

Visit site
I've bought an XL dog rope toy for Apollo to play with. I wanted a short one so, when he flings it about, it isn't long enough for him to whack himself (or me) in the face:

Not sure I'd ever leave him with it unsupervised though.

I know you said yours doesn't crib, but I've bought a Goughnut dog stick for Apollo to crib on:

He just loves having things in his mouth. He doesn't crib as often now and, instead, will go to chew on his stick instead of sucking in air. I've bolted it to a piece of wood to hold it in place.

You could also drill a hole through it, thread some rope through and then hang it up somewhere?

I've often thought about buying another to take with me on walks so, when he feels the need to chew something, I can offer him the stick instead of him picking a piece of my clothing.

I wouldn't just give them the stick on its own, as they could try and eat it, but they are a great thing to use for chewers if bolted to something else to hold it in place.

If you want a photo of what I've done with this for Apollo's cribbing devices then I'm more than happy to take some tomorrow.

I do have a jolly ball as well and it was very much ignored!

If you wouldn’t mind taking photos that would be awesome! He does enjoy carrying and chucking sticks about out in the field (and destroying willow trees 🤦‍♀️). He also enjoys leadropes, clothes, brushes …🙈😂

Steerpike

Visit site
I have one of these for one of mine that likes to chew sometimes

southerncomfort

Visit site
My boy is the same, I bought him a jolly ball and he totally ignored it!
Mine has to wear overreach boots permanently due to having long shoes for support. You can imagine the fun he has with those (and the rate at which I need to replace them!)

100% the same with Bo. He's like a toddler, absolutely everything goes in his mouth.

Was not remotely interested in a jolly ball. Tried to get him to play but he just looked at me like I'd lost my mind!

Boughtabay

Visit site
Branches from horse friendly trees so he can enjoy stripping the bark off- also good nutritionally

He did recently manage to get a rather large twig jammed in the top of his mouth so I’m trying to keep him away from wooden objects he can get inside his face too far 🙈 he does love a good branch to whack about though!

Boughtabay

Visit site
I have one of these for one of mine that likes to chew sometimes

That’s so cute - do you leave it with him unsupervised/is it durable? I’m slightly concerned about leaving him with something that he’ll break and then eat 🤦‍♀️

Steerpike

Visit site
I have it hanging in his stable, he has chewed the arms and legs but the body is made of thick suede material and he hasn't got through that. I got mine at badminton and the had different shapes like apples, unicorns the carrot, can't remember what else!

dottylottie

Visit site
mine is super mouthy, throws her buckets etc around but isn’t remotely interested in the jollyball…i gave her one of my dogs rope toys and she shredded it overnight! i’ll attach a photo of the style, once she’d shredded it into individual strands i plaited them but she never bothered with it again🙄

her favourite is chewing the ends of the rope on her haynets, delightful to go and take down when it’s all soggy🤢

Boughtabay

Visit site
This thread at least makes me glad I’m not alone in having an overgrown dog 🤦‍♀️ but less optimistic that I’m going to buy something that he enjoys as much as swatting his leadrope about/stripping the beams/stealing my clothes 😬 I’ll stock up on chew toys AND a tub of creosote then…

Polos Mum

Visit site
When my youngsters were changing teeth I found they really wanted to chew. I put a few big logs (which we had for the log burner) in their stables and they happily picked the bark off and chewed on those.

One of mine also likes old tyre buckets to throw around - they get ripped eventually but he only has almost broken ones to start with.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Youngster not bothered with large dog toy….decided to pull neighbours rope left over from salt
lick through the bars and chew on that (she has her own salt lick too). Hey ho….