chewing the bit.

AliJo

Visit site
I have just googled this and I'm getting conflicting advice. I have just changed bits to a sweet iron D-ring snaffle (well, we think its a sweet iron as the mouthpiece is black but please correct me if I may be wrong). Anyway, since using it I can sometimes hear my horse chewing it. She is producing saliva which I know is a good thing but not sure about the chewing (she does this with her mouth closed). Could someone please explain how and why she could be doing this and if I need to worry. Thanks.

Chex

Visit site
I think its ok if done a little bit once the bit has first been put in. Some horses chew a lot if they are anxious or just not relaxed.

Natalie_H

Visit site
You would hear if she was! I think it's unlikely to be related to gastric ulcers because, as you said, she didn't do it with the last bit. Give her some time to get used to it & see if the situation improves.

AliJo

Visit site
I forgot to mention that it also has a curved mouthpiece and I've just found information that says this encourages the horse to chew. Mind you, I don't understand why it would need to do this.

cassiejane

Visit site
Chewing helps the horse to salivate and keeps the mouth mobile so to speak, if its done in a relaxed way with mouth closed then its good, if its grinding and playing and opening the mouth then its bad. Its hard to say without seeing it but I would get a good instructor to watch you ride and see what they advise you .

Nailed

Visit site
its a sweet iron bit.. The sweet irons are training bits which encourage the horse to chew on them and thus relaxing the horse. they also encourage salivation so you horse is just doing the text book.
lou x

allijudd

Visit site
what peg 10 isnt saying is that peggy (the horse) is rolling the bit in her mouth the clunkin it off one tooth so it makes a clunking sound.......

but she is moving it which is a definate improvement on before......