Chewing through the lead rope - any alternatives?

frostyfingers

Visit site
My horse loves shovelling as much of the lead rope as possible into his mouth and chewing, eventually he chews right through and several times he's freed himself this way. I tried putting some split hosepipe on but there's always something left for him to chew and he just goes for that bit. I'm just using the ordinary twisted ones, are there any others which are stronger and less likely to get bitten through that I could use? Webbing ones any good? I've had him 6 months and we're on rope number 4 so far, could be an expensive habit!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would put cribox on the rope to deter him chewing. Ok with a rope maybe, but what if he wants to chew through your best show reins.

Beausmate

Visit site
Use a tie chain? All the racehorses where I worked had them, with baling twine on the headcollar as a break point. They were all flat horses, so mostly mouthy youngsters that would chew anything and everything.

TGM

Visit site
I use nylon lead ropes for my two rope chewers, they find them much less tasty than the normal cotton ropes.

fornema

Visit site
I have a couple of super thick (3.5 or 4cm in diameter) extra long ropes which do the trick for my youngster who also will inhale the entire thing, putting too much rope in her mouth seems to really put her off. Other than that I would use the tightly plaited/woven ropes (unsure how else to describe, these unfortunately do not break even with about 700kg behind them so I would make sure you're using them with a leather head collar or thined twine

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Cover it liberally washing up liquid. Won't harm him or you when you also get some on your hands!

Please don't use straight washing up liquid as it's one of the most toxic things on this planet and will burn the throat and insides. It's only because it's well diluted and we use it from being months old that we get away with it.

Echo the rack chain. If you use some string with it then do put the string on the headcollar not where the chain is fastened to the wall in case it is broken; horse doesn't need a broken nose as well.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Sounds revolting, surely it would be impossible for me to handle though!?

A box of surgical gloves (100 to a box?) will cost you about £6 at the chemists. Other than that, we have indoor plumbing with soap and running water! :D

I've seen a horse tied briefly to a gate while another was lunged 20 yards away chew right through it's lead rope and get loose. Not mine and if any of mine DO chew a lead rope, the problem gets sorted pronto before it becomes a problem!

frostyfingers

Visit site
He starts on it as soon as he's tied up, sometimes even when you're just holding him. His quickest escape was in the time it's taken for me to pick his feet out, and brush his mane and tail! I've tried a haynet, tried a haynet with apples in, tried a dog rope toy smeared in molasses, tried another leadrope - none of them are as tasty as the one he's tied with! I asked the dentist to check that his teeth/mouth were ok but he was given the all clear there - I think it's just a habit he's developed, rather like someone chewing their fingernails or something.

TigerTail

Visit site
You can get rubber tie up lines that are good or chain - no nasty chemicals to be ingested then. I use one like this as my mare does quick little tugs of her head and leans on the rope all the time the rubber tired her out s d she doesn't bother now

http://www.fieldguard.com/shop/rubber-tiesleads-r20/

Last edited: