Chewing!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
No we taught ours when they were tiny that dogs stay on the floor, 40 kg is too much to have sitting on you. they were very good about it tbf. We are having more trouble with the Lab pups who think that rule doesn't apply to them - one is particularly persistent. The Rotter only sits on the furniture when there are no humans about. She is a very good girl, it's just a pity that we have had 2 short-lived ones, so no more! I can't cope with it.

They were taught but like to occasionally check I still mean it :D They like to curl up right next to feet or body and rest a head if they can on a bit of a human. I've banned people from sitting on the floor as the dogs will be on top of them for cuddles in the blink of an eye. They'll back off on command, etc., but I don't want to chance someone getting hurt.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Our first one was a rescue who loved eating coal, amongst other things. We taught her to 'give' whatever she had in her mouth, in exchange for a treat. One day, I noticed she had something in her mouth, said 'give', she carried on chomping, so I automatically put my fingers in her mouth, she locked her mouth shut, exactly where it was, not on my fingers, but I couldn't get them back. Then I realised that I had nothing to give her, couldn't reach anything and I was at home on my own. I ended up tickling the roof of her mouth, she looked horrified and spat my fingers out rapidly.:D

That's a funny image :D Glad your fingers were okay! One Grot would be fine and gentle, the other wouldn't let my fingers get into his mouth if he had 'a thing' in there. He's the one I wouldn't push it with unless the item in question was going to kill him.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
That's another good point, my rule of thumb is, that if my hand is on it, it belongs to me, which is why all the items I have for my own dogs are large enough for me to be able to put my hand on it while it is still in their mouth and they cannot lock down on it. So if they don't out when I tell them to at a distance, if I go over and put my hand on it, I can definitely get it back :p

PAS I am not adverse to sticking a thumb or finger into the back of my own dog's mouths if they are being bold. I then forget and do it with other people's dogs and this is why I am not a piano player :p

Good point. They won't take anything I'm holding unless I tell them they can have it. It's the things they're not meant to have and just take when we're not around, plus the furniture... and floors... though, to be fair, they've not eaten any of those for many months :D

They'll both let go if they think my hand is in their mouth and I yelp, which has helped retrieve a few things.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
As well as being stimulating, chewing for dogs can also be like us using a stress ball. It makes them feel good/is calming for them.
So I'd eliminate things like stress as well as boredom (this isn't a criticism, it just 'is', dogs don't see the world the way we do, things that we think are calming or stimulating, may not be for them).
So any change at all, something as innocuous as a new floor or work being carried out, one more or less person in the household, a new smell...as well as maybe considering adding some brain training to their day, etc, with the stimulus being inteteraction with you rather than being given something static to go away and occupy themselves with.
Mine was 3 before I could leave him unattended but he still needs something in his gob on a walk as he will grab a can or bottle or whatever. 'Just' walking doesn't really do it for him. Bionic stuff isn't soft but it is pretty durable. His ball of choice would be the Starmark foam ball, but it's for carrying, not chewing to the point of destruction. You can see him really squeeze and flex his jaws on it, pressure and release, calming him down, it's a real primitive, satisfying prey movement, I find it fascinating to watch.
I also don't like the very hard stuff, he'd just break his teeth.

Thank you! After much mulling over, I think I might've got it sussed:

I've been doing more client work over the last two / three weeks. It's necessary, but of course I can't tell the dogs that; it's meant they still get out to the field only not for as long as had become the norm, plus I'm in a different room while I'm working. D's still with them. I guess they'd just got used to more time out and there being the two of us to hand. Can't do anything about the time, can shift things around so am more available.

A little concerned that if anything happened to either D or I then the dogs would suffer. Thinking back, they didn't like it when I had to work away during the week and regressed then as well.

Hm. Going to have to re-think how we manage client work. Can't have two stressed Rotties. Or a stressed GSD, she internalizes things and, thinking about it properly, she's not super happy either. Will spend the afternoon sorting the diningroom so I can work in there.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site

twiggy2

Visit site
I bought some tree roots designed for dogs to chew, so far with an assortment of 4 dogs and a litter of pups we have not had splinters, some little bits come of but they are very small and pass through rather then being sharp splinters.
If the dogs need some encouragement to focus on the blocks of wood at busy times, I rub coconut oil, marmite and or peanut butter into the ridge on the blocks.
We have a young dog being rested at thw moment and it's keeping her occupies in the crate.
I will see if I can find them.
In the past I have just given dogs thick short sections of safe branches such as Apple,if it a soft/green branch I have never found them to splinter but they are messy.

skinnydipper

Visit site
They like to curl up right next to feet or body and rest a head if they can on a bit of a human. I've banned people from sitting on the floor as the dogs will be on top of them for cuddles in the blink of an eye.

I totally get it. When a molosser "collapses" on you you know about it. I feel my legs are going to break at the knees.

From someone stupid enough to sit on the floor :D

Last edited: