Chews.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
What long lasting chewy things do you give your dogs?

My older two can't have anything apart from nylabone type efforts. Anything edible seems to result in vomiting or horror poos.

I would like to see if I can keep little Henry a bit more tolerant of variety in his diet. And I want to have chews as another option rather than just stuffed kongs (which he's rubbish at and thus gets bored with!).

I am going to get some Yakers and Whimzees as I'm pretty happy that they are safe. What else do people give? No rawhide! I was looking at things like pigs ears and stuffed trachea and *vom* pizzles! But I don't know what the current thinking is on those things, how safe they are etc.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Paddywack and pizzles are the go to for Bear currently. Babies have small Whimzees which last about 10 minutes. They’ve had bits of paddywack. Bear goes through medium Whimzees walking across a room! He used to have a pig’s ear every night, but needs to watch the calories.

Yak chews are fab, but so hard I do worry about teeth, plus the babies treat it like an excuse to chase each other for each other’s. Antlers are good, but again, I worry about teeth, Bear and Zak lost the a tooth in the same place, dunno if it was related or if they just had a weakness in that spot.

I supervise treats, particularly as Bear sometimes couldn’t swallow the end of the ears.

Andie02

Visit site
We used to give our JRT's pig ears but we found them to be very greasy for them to have in the house. Tried cows ears, they are much less greasy, but found like CT they could have problems with the last bits of the ears. We wouldn't give them anything really hard like antlers.

The cheapest place I have found for 'good' dried tripe chews is Maltby's Stores in Hull. They also do dried Fish Skin chews at a reasonable price, the old lad likes those but the 'princess' prefers Skippers fish skin chews, some of theirs keep her occupied for about 20-30 mins, she is a gannet with them.

Maltby's do a wide range including bird food.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
He'd mostly be getting this kind of thing when he's out in the barn with me, out of sight of the other two. So not in the house but supervised closely enough to spot any issues. I'd only leave them properly alone with really safe things like a kong stuffed with soft things.

And because its not in the house I'm happy to give him the slightly more grim stuff. I just don't know what the best options are as I've always just had to avoid everything.

It might be that Henry is the same, but I want to try. I think feeding a variety of stuff is the way to go to avoid sensitive tummies if it's possible to do such a thing!

Iznurgle

Visit site
If you have a "poor doer" of a dog like I do, fresh pig ears (raw!) are excellent. Crunchy and chewy and cheap as chips from a good butcher. They are, however, an outside treat! They take my JRT X about half an hour to eat.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
We used to give our JRT's pig ears but we found them to be very greasy for them to have in the house. Tried cows ears, they are much less greasy, but found like CT they could have problems with the last bits of the ears. We wouldn't give them anything really hard like antlers.

The cheapest place I have found for 'good' dried tripe chews is Maltby's Stores in Hull. They also do dried Fish Skin chews at a reasonable price, the old lad likes those but the 'princess' prefers Skippers fish skin chews, some of theirs keep her occupied for about 20-30 mins, she is a gannet with them.

Maltby's do a wide range including bird food.

My paddywack is from there, nice range of sizes.

Visit site
Fish skin chews, I also gave mine chicken collagen things at Christmas, which they loved and pigs ears. I wish mine would eat whimzee's but they won't and I did try yak chews but there was an almighty punch up when the big boy finished his and tried to rob my tiny Yorkie girl. She is a 3rd of his size but totally rules the roost, he won't even walk past her when she is eating. He is a springer x shih tzu. Both are rescues.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I feed pigs ears but my small dog will chew one in minutes, so I do give her rawhide she loves it but I don't leave her with them if I go out and I'm just careful with them.

PurBee

Visit site
Chicken feet are highly nutritious, for minerals and for collagen especially. My gsd loves them. They arent really a long time chew to keep occupied, but a chewy treat she loves getting as a surprise addition to the diet. I get them pre-cooked in a packet from zooplus. I’ve been giving them for around 3yrs now and for a 10/11yr old her joint/tendon fitness is very good.

I did get filled rawhide large chews for her but she keeps taking them outside when new and burying them! She’s always with me so im curious why she seems to think she needs a secret stash of food buried around the land!

She’s not keen on thick tough rawhide…so i got thin rawhide filled with dried meats.

I’ve witnessed her hiding real bones before now, it’s so adorable…she finds a clump of long grass….drops the bone in the middle - all the while looking around to see if anyone is watching her, then proceeds to scratch up grass and mud over the stash. Runs away as soon as she’s done. When she saw me, her face literally said ‘how long have you been there?’ ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Fish skin chews, I also gave mine chicken collagen things at Christmas, which they loved and pigs ears. I wish mine would eat whimzee's but they won't and I did try yak chews but there was an almighty punch up when the big boy finished his and tried to rob my tiny Yorkie girl. She is a 3rd of his size but totally rules the roost, he won't even walk past her when she is eating. He is a springer x shih tzu. Both are rescues.

I would love to see the springer x! Bet he’s super cute.

hoofprints1994

Visit site
Dragonfly products are my go to for chews - they sell a great variety of really good quality, natural and healthy chews so I recommend browsing their site. My dog is quite fussy about what he will bother with chewing Haha, but loves pizzles for something longer lasting.

For a short lasting chew, I give him twisted beef bladders, which he loves and normally gobbles up in a few minutes. He also has a split antler (safer for his teeth as he can chew straight onto the softer 'honeycomb' texture inside) which he gnaws on every now and then.

Birker2020

Visit site
We give our dog those chicken twists either from Aldi or from Wilko's in a multipack. She loves them and they are 100% natural. I know some people don't agree with them. She also has the dried chicken breasts and the calcium bones with the dried chicken around them. One a day.

1646314017377.png1646314179947.png

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Having seen the sh!te my dogs have put away while out on walks, I don't get to precious about chews. I don't feed treats as a rule so it's only for when they have to be left alone for a long period to please themselves for whatever reason. The youngest one does get a Nylabone to stop her dismantling and flinging her water bowl around in a rage when the others go out without her and a Kong filled with her normal kibble before I leave for work. The oldest pretty much always has a gobstopper, an outsized hard ball that he can't tear to bits, he has no sense of self-preservation so cannot have anything small or potentially swallowable. Middle boy came with a liking for those pressed rawhide bones from Pets at Home, he's nearly ten and has never come to any harm having had them, he's quite a careful chewer, so he gets one every so often or if we're travelling.

I don't like anything that has the potential to break or blunt teeth as they're kinda important.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
OK so I say that thing about breaking teeth with the proviso that my dogs are power chewers and the oldest in particular literally wants to crush and destroy things, he takes the job very seriously. His teeth are still in remarkably good nick despite the workload!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The Rottweilers, despite having very powerful jaws weren't particularly destructive of their toys. They had some Kong toys that look a bit like 4-legged octopuses for 4 years. The Labs got some and made it their mission to take the 'skin' off the balls in the first week or so! Labs have been known to open their own dog meat tins by piercing the tin with their teeth and yet my parents had a pair of Labs that had soft toys for years with only their pompoms removed

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Lol mine will attack cans like a beaver, empty or full. I have a pile of destroyed bottles and cans that I've had to take off him that he's found out on walks. The full bottle of Mountain Dew which he pinched from a kids' surf school, pierced and sprayed around the place was a highlight. It's just genetics, he likes to hold All The Things, very very hard.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've got him a yakers to try, he's got his paws on a nylabone and is enjoying it so got him another one. Also pigs ears, whimzees, beef trachea, a pizzel (*vom*), some vegetable based 'rawhide alternative' thing, some chicken feet... just went wild on Pets at Home basically. And he actually managed to de-stuff his kong this morning so I've figured out how to make it easy enough for him! He doesn't seem to be a power chewer so hopefully they'll last him. We'll see.

Auslander

Visit site
Mine likes pigs ears, and any non-threatening dried meat treats. He accepts things he doesn't like the look of, but goes off and buries them when the giver of said treat isn't looking. He's very polite like that. I know that there is a bulls penis and a windpipe in my garden somewhere, as he thought they were a bit much!
His absolute favourite treats are dried sausages - they are one of the few things he will take from your hand. Mostly he wants you to drop treats on the floor so that he can look at them and sniff them before committing

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Mine likes pigs ears, and any non-threatening dried meat treats. He accepts things he doesn't like the look of, but goes off and buries them when the giver of said treat isn't looking. He's very polite like that. I know that there is a bulls penis and a windpipe in my garden somewhere, as he thought they were a bit much!
His absolute favourite treats are dried sausages - they are one of the few things he will take from your hand. Mostly he wants you to drop treats on the floor so that he can look at them and sniff them before committing

??? "Aw thanks, I'll put that away for best"

YorkshireLady

Visit site
So my one loves a chew and has always chewed prob 1 size up than his actual size. I but large whimzees...the sausage one prob lasts the longest. He still uses his rubber kong tyre! perfect to also put a bit of jr pate in or similar

olive wood and tree roots were v popular. Buffalo horn is his fav and the best value for money of any i have had. I will use a split antler, not a whole.

All of these not caused tummy issues - beef tendons, venison beef sausage, fish skin, pork rolls, yak chews,

i find i cannot feed lamb ones as a bit rich and he is allergic to chicken.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I thought I got fish skin chews for Ivy but she just cronched them up and left behind a load of fish scales everywhere so maybe it wasn't the right product.

Pizzle went down very well. I learned the hard way never to buy a giant one because of the smell I don't mind too much if it doesn't last too long!

She went off the yak milk and ostrich bone but we found soaking them to soften slightly has got her back into them (phew, they were pricey!)

Rabbit ear lasted 2 seconds. Trachea not much longer but it smells strong too so I've been hiding chunks round the garden for sniffaris.

JR lamb braids were okay as were the beef tails but not sure we'd go for them again.

I know I've done a good job with the Kong when she starts chewing it instead of licking or rolling it around. Stuffing and freezing is the key!