Chicken help

Evie91

Visit site
I’ve kept chickens for more years than I care to remember. More recently ex batts but decided to run the flock down (not replace when they died), wanted new coop and then to buy some fancy breeds And another cockerel.Anyway bird flu hit so that plan on hold. Right at the beginning of Defra lockdown I lost a hen leaving one on her own. Didn’t get a companion as worried about flu, travelling in lockdown etc so she has unfortunately been on her own. Now in a position to add a hen and she is not well.

Over the years I have not managed to find a chicken savvy vet. The chickens I have lost mostly seem to succumb to the same illness. First poop goes greenish and more liquid. Sometimes fixed with bio-yoghurt, but usually comes back and they go down hill and are culled. Otherwise the combs get a purplish tint at the top and go much darker - wonder if it is circulation issue, then the poop Goes greener,liquid, they appear tucked up,then reluctant to move - that’s the end stage for me and neighbour culls them. One I left too long and started with the death gasp, was culled but I realise I left it too late. Not all go like this but I definitely notice a pattern, as they get older, this is what seems to get them- all the tinctures and cider vinegar seems to make no difference. It doesn’t appear contagious either.

This chook is my favourite such a little character. I really want to do what I can for her. Shes not laid for 2yrs, she is a pet.She’s got the poop ans started with the purplish bits, she looks tucked up but she is still trying to eat ad drink and move around. Any ideas of what else I can do?

My ex batts only ever seem to last four years max, I’ve had her three.

vhf

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run, as I also do the pet chook thing. I read somewhere reliable that the green poop is indicative of not eating, rather than a specific disease, although a certain shade of green did relate to a particular issue:eek:
I did find a semi-interested vet (kept hens himself) and he seemed to think although younger ones do get specific treatable diseases it's often not cost effective to treat them, and the older ones sometimes just aren't viable, and there's little realistically you can do for them - they were never designed to live long unproductive lives and everything starts to fail once the eggmaking kit gives out. I give mine lots of treats and comfort, and ease them on their way. Will she eat scrambled egg? That's often recommended as a pick-me-up food, maybe with porridge oats, or I cook them a veggie stew... I also found that Lincoln Yea-Sacc (that's mostly brewers yeast so far as I can smell) had a massive perking-up effect! Have used cat food on terminal cases- I doubt it's good for them, but liken it to giving an old horse a last few days on too much grass!

mini_b

Visit site
i had one ex batt go like this, I took her to vets, thought she was off and they might be able to cure whatever ailment it was.

started as yours did with funny poo, tucked up etc
The purple is a lack of circulation as you said, or oxygen starvation.
I got the explanation she had multiple organ failure and when they start looking awful that it’s already too late. Vet said it’s common in commercial layers, laying every day and it places a big strain on their body.

You’ve given her a nice life after her old job. The day my girl looked really bad I brought her inside in some blankets, made some scrambled egg and then took her to vets where she was then PTS (I took her thinking I’d bring her home to be honest!)

it’s horrible them all going the same way but without a proper “explanation”.

QuantockHills

Visit site
So sorry to hear she's poorly. I'm a volunteer with 'Fresh start for hens', rehoming ex-commercial chooks and sadly, the purple tinge you describe is often the sign of heart failure and there wont be much you can do, other than to make sure she has a dignified end and doesn't suffer. She's had a very good retirement with you as many ex-batts don't last long at all. xxx

Evie91

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I’ve given her some banana, cream, bread and sugar mashed up this morning and will try all of the suggestions made.
She has been such a character - comes in the house, lies in the dogs bed! I’ll keep my eye on her and get the neighbour round if needs be. The only vet I managed to find said that to PTS a chicken they injected straight into the heart!! So I prefer my neighbour to dispatch at home.
I’ve always said about ex batts that they are not bred for longevity- most stop laying about 12 months after I have them. I always think if they have as much freedom as the time they spent in captivity then anymore is a bonus but for this one - I wanted her to live forever!!

mini_b

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I’ve given her some banana, cream, bread and sugar mashed up this morning and will try all of the suggestions made.
She has been such a character - comes in the house, lies in the dogs bed! I’ll keep my eye on her and get the neighbour round if needs be. The only vet I managed to find said that to PTS a chicken they injected straight into the heart!! So I prefer my neighbour to dispatch at home.
I’ve always said about ex batts that they are not bred for longevity- most stop laying about 12 months after I have them. I always think if they have as much freedom as the time they spent in captivity then anymore is a bonus but for this one - I wanted her to live forever!!

enjoy your time with her, I understand how you feel about her. Sending massive hugs xx

Griffin

Visit site
She sounds like you have given her such a lovely retirement and she has really enjoyed herself.

I agree with other posters, it sounds like heart failure sadly. You have done everything you can for her, lots of hugs.

Nicnac

Visit site
Aw sorry to read this Evie. I am new to chooks after wanted some for many many years and now have two ex-batts and two youngsters since August last year. I really feel for my ex-batts as one lays ginormous eggs and the other quite big ones compared to the smaller ones of the youngsters.

I will get more ex-batts going forward as they are so lovely whereas one of my youngsters, who was really late to mature, is now huge and a bit of a bully.

Chooks are wonderful characters and really get under your skin so I can understand how sad you are feeling. Hope she enjoyed her lovely meal!

Evie91

Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies. I will keep an eye on her and call on my neighbour when the time is right.
Nic Nac - ex batts are just wonderful, IME they are so tame and much less flighty than breeds I’ve had previously. I’ve had them for years but they just don’t seem to last very long. It Is a wonderful thing to see then feather up and chatter on!