Chickens and eggs...

HeyMich

Visit site
Could I pick the all-knowing HHO brain please?

We took delivery of 2 new chickens just over a week ago, from a local friend who was downsizing her flock. They look happy and healthy here in their new home - they have plenty of space on grass, fresh water, layers pellets, crushed oyster shells and the occasional carrot top - they haven't lost feathers and aren't fighting.

They've only given us one useful egg so far, which isn't a problem as I know they may take a while to settle. However, we have found quite a few broken eggs - it's as if they eat the yolks out of them as soon as they're laid. Is this something that will also settle with time? Are we doing something wrong? Any handy hints or suggestions?

These are our first chickens since growing up (in my mid 40s, and still not sure I'm an adult yet...) so it's very exciting for us all, but a bit disappointing that we're not dining on fresh omelettes every day!

Leo Walker

Visit site
This is a really bad habit and needs to be sorted ASAP. Look for a rollaway nestbox. Once fitted that should sort it for you.

And just in case make sure they have access to grit, and maybe add some poultry spice to their layers mash/pellets. But the main thing to do is to sort the nest boxes so they cant eat the eggs.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks LW, I knew you'd know! ?

Bugger. I was worried that would be the answer. Yes, they have plenty of grit. Not sure we could fit a roll away box - the coop is palatial but made of offcuts of wood that we had around the farm - y'know, not being able to buy supplies at the mo. To be honest, I'm not sure they actually use the nest boxes for laying eggs. They definitely go into them to poo, but not much else... Ugh!

Leo Walker

Visit site
You could make one easily enough. If you google it there's examples. Its basically just a sloping bottom to the nestbox. You can encourage them to use it by leaving fake rubber eggs in there That can sometimes put them off egg eating as well, but not very often

HeyMich

Visit site
You could make one easily enough. If you google it there's examples. Its basically just a sloping bottom to the nestbox. You can encourage them to use it by leaving fake rubber eggs in there That can sometimes put them off egg eating as well, but not very often

Fake eggs! Brilliant idea. I'll scour the kids' toy boxes... I have some beautiful ornate painted ones that my MIL gave me as a present - not sure if the chickens or the MIL would appreciate me using them as decoys!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I bet that’s why they were got rid of. It’s a cullable offence in my book.
You could try leaving fake eggs around, I have heard they get bored with pecking them.

HeyMich

Visit site
I bet that’s why they were got rid of. It’s a cullable offence in my book.
You could try leaving fake eggs around, I have heard they get bored with pecking them.

Yes, I was wondering. I'd hope not though, as we got them from a local friend, and I think she would have culled herself them if needed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Perhaps the stress of the move led to some soft shells and that kicked it off.
What bedding do you have in the nest box? Although hay is not recommended they love it and you could make it fluffy to help hide the eggs.

HeyMich

Visit site
Perhaps the stress of the move led to some soft shells and that kicked it off.
What bedding do you have in the nest box? Although hay is not recommended they love it and you could make it fluffy to help hide the eggs.

Yep, they have hay - purely because there's loads of loose hay in the barn and it kept the kids busy for a while sweeping it up and making nests for the chooks in the nest boxes. I could use shavings, as I have plenty of those too, but hubby is less keen, as he wants the poop for the veggie garden and the shavings take too long to rot down.

And yes, the 1 egg we got last week was very soft. The shells on the broken ones now are much thicker, but obviously cracked by beaks.

Archangel

Visit site
My first thought was that was why they were moved on as well. How annoying. I have had one that did this and fed pilchards/sardines every morning for a while and put a golf ball in the nest box. Is the run open at the top? Could magpies be getting in?

irishdraft

Visit site
My chickens would do this occasionally if possible you need to keep an eye on them and remove eggs asap then hopefully they will stop

HeyMich

Visit site
My first thought was that was why they were moved on as well. How annoying. I have had one that did this and fed pilchards/sardines every morning for a while and put a golf ball in the nest box. Is the run open at the top? Could magpies be getting in?

Pilchards/sardines? Why? I'll gladly try anything, but would like to know the reason behind the fish!

Nope, the run has a chicken wire top, and I don't think any big birds could get in. I had thought of that, as we have some very loud jackdaws nesting in our eaves.

Clodagh

Visit site
Fish is very high in protein (as are eggs!) and the theory is that they are eating eggs because of a dietary deficiency

Archangel

Visit site
Of course, thanks. I'll give it a go! I'll get the kids out digging up worms from the muck heap too - plenty of free protein there!

The bones in the fish are soft so a good way to get calcium in to them.

I have baked and then ground up the eggshells and fed them back to them as well.

My hens went berserk for one of these yummy block things Might just take their mind off eating the eggs.

It might be just one hen that starts it (was with mine) then the rest pile in so you might need to split them up to see who it is.

Sometimes I think it is easier to just buy eggs! Mine are currently laying in a cardboard box in the tack room - all because they don't consider the straw in their nest box to be quite right. Such brats!

HeyMich

Visit site
The bones in the fish are soft so a good way to get calcium in to them.

I have baked and then ground up the eggshells and fed them back to them as well.

My hens went berserk for one of these yummy block things Might just take their mind off eating the eggs.

It might be just one hen that starts it (was with mine) then the rest pile in so you might need to split them up to see who it is.

Sometimes I think it is easier to just buy eggs! Mine are currently laying in a cardboard box in the tack room - all because they don't consider the straw in their nest box to be quite right. Such brats!

Thanks. They already get the ground up egg shells already, but I don't bake them - just dry them out. I'll try baking them too.

And yes, I've already had to go to the shop to buy extra eggs, which grates somewhat... Blimmin birds!