Chiffney???

Kristine

Visit site
can someone please explain to me why some horse's need these and what they do?
and also why some horses only need them at certain times of the year!
Sorry to sound so dumb!

Rambo

Visit site
They just give you more control over the horse from the ground. As to why they might be needed at certain times of the year, I can only guess that some horses ar emore of a handful at certain times of the year...i.e Spring
tongue.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I have never heard of a horse only needing one at certain times of the year...unless it is a stallion during covering or something???
A chiffney is a bit that is really designed as an anti rearing device when leading in hand. When pressure is put on the bit by the handler a curved area of the bit presses into the horses tongue and once the horse stops fighting or doing what ever it is doing the pressure is released.
I have one that I have had to use on my Welsh at times because he was bargy and bolshy to lead and could get away from me even in a bridle.
I still to this day put it in for loading or those occasions when I cannot afford to let him get away if he gets strong or excited...so like when trotting up for the vet inspection at endurance rides. I would say that over the last year I have never had to call it into action, so it just hangs there in his mouth...it is a just in case scenario.
There are lots of varying opinions on the use of these and some people claim they hurt and are cruel...I do not think so if used correctly (my instructor trained me) and would prefer to have a safe, well behaved horse than one that potentially could get away and run loose amongst other horses at shows etc!!!

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
here here pottamus - am fed up of people slating them when it is the handler to blame for mis use not the actual bit itself. After all a double bridle is very harsh in the wrong hands but the amount of 'novices' i see riding in one is untrue

Tempi

Visit site
i have one for Bloss - she can get too much for me when bringing in from the field as we have to walk down a steep hill with trees on the left hand side and when its windy she just leaps and snorts, and shes very large and heavy and i dont want her standing on me!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont personally like them and would never use one. I have a strong, bolshy horse but I simply use one of those thin rope controller halters which works very very well. But if a chifney is the ONLY thing which works with some (like stallions etc.) then I guess its better than them running riot!

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
[ QUOTE ]
I dont personally like them and would never use one. I have a strong, bolshy horse but I simply use one of those thin rope controller halters which works very very well. But if a chifney is the ONLY thing which works with some (like stallions etc.) then I guess its better than them running riot!

[/ QUOTE ]

well i have to disagree my friend tryed the b-nice halters of various types (& brands) & leading in a normal bridle, none of which worked so she tried a chiffney & even at times that doesnt work but for the safety of the animal/handler/other people (liveries/road users) it is better to have something that will stop the horse as some horses i know simply fight through the b-nice controllers & get away from their handler

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Totally agree about the Be Nice or pressure halters, completely useless with my bolshy two year old! Don't personally use a chifney but know they do have their place, I use a Serretta which is a spanish device - has solid noseband and works a treat without touching the mouth
grin.gif