Chiffneys?

Benefice1

Visit site
i dont personally use one but my friend has one for leading her horse in/out to the field as he just pi**es off in anything else, he respects the chiffney and doesnt do anything - i know that in the wrong hands they can be very severe and can injure
crazy.gif

Pasha

Visit site
I used to use one to load my Anglo - only because once he wouldn't load at a show once and some so called 'experts' came to help and made him rear... we just used it as a precaution really but he never reared after that so stopped using it

KatB

Visit site
Used properly, havent got a problem, and used one happily on my boy when he used to pi$$ off with me!! But it makes me cringe when I see them used incorrectly.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Used properly, havent got a problem, and used one happily on my boy when he used to pi$$ off with me!! But it makes me cringe when I see them used incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used one. What's the correct way to use it?

Stasha22

Visit site
I have one which I occasionaly need to use on my TB mare. I think they are fine as long as the person using it knows what they are doing. Dangerous in the wrong hands though.

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
I have had experience with both good handlers and bad handlers and when it is used incorrectly it makes me cringe so badly. I have seen a horse have its jaw broken due to bad handling.

Marquire

Visit site
I used one on two occasions with the youngster I used to have as he took as complete dislike to loading first into the lorry ( he would walk straight in if my other horse was put in first). He would rear vertical and paw at you with his front feet and as he was 17.1hh this was very frightening. A pressure halter made no difference.

An very experience horseman I know advised using the chiffney and the first time loading the horse he reared as usual at the bottom of the ramp but came straight back down again immediately then walked straight into the box. The second time, he just walk straight in. I never had to use it again and he loaded perfectly from then on.

I think they have their place.

Marie

KatB

Visit site
Should be fitted as a bit, with a sliphead. A leadrope should be attached to the back ring of the chifney, and the headcollar so the chifney is stabilised and can only be used to limited force. Hope that makes sense?! So many people use it without stabilising it on a headcollar.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
J had one once when he first arrived as he was a devil horse. Some people will remember the upsetting threads I posted on here. Leadrope over the nose simply didn't work. I don't like them, but I think sometimes they are a necessary evil.

I've heard if used incorrectly they can break a horses jaw. True or false?

Alibear

Visit site
hmm see I've always been taught it is incorrect to attach to the head coller as it is then forced into it's action mode and is always in force.

Un - attached with a loose rein means it's doing nothing and one short pull if need arises.

So there you go as with all horse tack many way to Rome perhaps?

As for the breaking jaw incident, have always been told it's possible but never actually know it to happen. Possibly a horsey urban myth that's handed around to make sure people take care with this piece of kit.

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, if its fitted correctly it shouldnt?! I have seen someone using it "free" and let go of the horse, that then ran off until it pulled it up by standing on it. needless to say its mouth was in a mess, and could EASILY see how it could break a horses jaw. Whan attached to a headcollar it can only go so far as it is anchored?! A chifney is ALWAYS in action due to the shape of it comparec to shape of mouth? My old boss used to hammer his almost flat so it wasnt as harsh.

RubyR

Visit site
I had to use one when my cob was on box rest. I had to walk her in hand everyday and the she would rear in a headcollar, which just got too dangerous. A chifney was the only thing that gave me control and meant she could get the in-hand walking I had to give. Once she was turned out again I reverted to the headcollar.

Alibear

Visit site
hmm see if it's not clipped up onto the head coller it hangs flat so the tongue depresser and the mouth bars are flat on the tongue not having any action on the tongue or bars , when clipped up the bars are in action as is the tongue depresser.

As ever I can see both points which is why I end up in such a muddle with these things, but when it's clipped up to the headcoller and you pull on it , it doesn't move so I wouldn't think it has much effect?

I was taught to use it when i had a mare who was very bad in hand though, she didn't bolt off; just permenatly danced and spun on her hind feet and occasionally tried to box any body near by

(yes we even had people diving behind haybales when they saw us coming
smirk.gif
luckily we did work through it all and she ended up very sweet , well unless you were loading her on a bad day )

KatB

Visit site
yep can see where your coming from, but when its clipped up, as you said, the pressure is there, but doesnt have alot of action. Therefore the horse will generally not bother tanking as the small amount of pressure will make it walk "behind the bit" if you like. This method is safer because only a limited amount of pressure can be exserted (sp?!)

Alibear

Visit site
yep get your point, I just also remeber people tying to lead my mare and clipping the chifney to the headcoller and my promptly watching them get trampled.

But then she was a bit of a one off
grin.gif

KatB

Visit site
crazy.gif
well just going how I've always been told is correct! Have seen it used the other way, just personally think its riskier!!
grin.gif
But if it works for you, and you've never had a prob, then why not!?

Tia

Visit site
A chifney should be used in conjunction with a headcollar and really you should have 2 lead ropes - one attached to the chifney and one attached to the headcollar. The headcollar rope is the one which is held taught and the chifney rope is held slightly looser. When the lead rope on the headcollar fails you then the rope attached to the chifney comes into effect.

The chifney should never be put into action with constant tugs - it should be a sharp pull and then immediately released. It should never be used with constant contact. When not being used it will revert back to just laying on the tongue.

kildalton

Visit site
I think they are useful if used correctly, although I remember reading about a mare who lost her tongue because she stood on the lead rope attached to a chiffney. A tank of a cob with no manners when being turned out on our yard is like a lamb with the chiffney.

Tia

Visit site
I have always thought it was an urban myth too! And I can't imagine how a chifney when used correctly could ever break a horse's jaw. There is no curb strap attached hence it cannot possibly snap the jaw.
confused.gif

A long shank bit (of which I have many) is perfectly capable of breaking a jaw or at the least inflicting serious injury to a horse!! However only under extreme misuse!!