Chiffneys?

Tia

Visit site
Oooh stupid blooming people!! That makes me so mad - idiots in charge of bits like these!

Emma suggested I posted a piccy of one of my bits to see what you guys made of it. Not sure whether I will as I think that some may not understand the bit, however it is the most favourite bit that all of my horses love - however it is used by someone with very gentle hands.......me!!
cool.gif

I would NEVER allow anyone else to ride my horses in this bit though.

dieseldog

Visit site
I don't see how it can break a horses jaw, you would have to have superhuman strength to exert enough pressure.

I use a Chiffney on mine when we stay away at shows as he will determindley tank off in whatever direction he feels like, with a chiffney he walks on a loose leadrein beside me and never puts a foot out of place - which is kinder me trying to suffocate him with a leadrein round the nose to stop him or him wearing a chiffney?

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Used properly, havent got a problem, and used one happily on my boy when he used to pi$$ off with me!! But it makes me cringe when I see them used incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used one. What's the correct way to use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, tying a horse up with one is the worst offence I have seen.

I am not against them, but do think most people use them as a quick fix gadget rather then doing proper training. Only time I would ever use one, would be as a lip chain if we were having problems with the vet.

S_N

Visit site
I personally would and have used them like Tia describes. However, TB's of all age groups and sexes (though often fillies have them removed after the 1st day of showing) in Kentucky, consigned to public auction, wear them for showing to potential buyers and when they walk through the sales ring. They are fitted with clips to a leather headcollar and then a leather shank with a brass chain is attached, passing the chain through the ring of the headcollar and the ring on the chiffney and clipping back to itself.

KatB

Visit site
I agree GT, would never ty a horse up in one??!

Tia thats just how ive always been told to use it, bacause that way it is stabilised, and only has the same sort of action as a bridle would have, with the "harshness" of the shaped bit. I was always told the unfixed way with just the chifney was incorrect. The two rope way is another way I have seen it used as correct, but have never needed the "direct" action of it in this manner because just having the chifney in with a slight contact from it being on the headcollar has always made the horses i've handled respect me and not tank off.
I always unclip the chifney so its just on the headcollar when tying up.

charlie76

Visit site
I've used one on a horse that used to rear and p*ss off when leading him out to the field- they are fine if used correctly.Better to use that then smacked in the head by flying hooves!

druid

Visit site
That's exactly how I use one - and only for havign S shod as she's a tit and rears when she gets bored.

Iestyn

Visit site
If I had to lead my horse any further to his paddock then he'd be wearing one to be lead to his paddock. Luckily we are the first paddock about 40m from his stable, but if he has to go much further to his field he becomes a liability - for my safety (or whoever's leading him) more than anything.

tchamberlain

Visit site
I have one for my boy, most of the time he's just in a headcollar, but at the showground he wears it to suppress all the excitement, I use it as KatB describes, I find the action, although maybe not as much as some, is enough for him to behave... just wearing it without it being clipped is enough for him to behave!
smile.gif