Child safety stirrups - please help...

Fiona

Visit site
I need some advice here.....

My 5yo has always ridden his pony in peacock safety stirrups and in proper jodhpur boots.

However twice at pony club, I have seen these stirrups completely not work, with the child (not mine ) left dangling upside down. Today, the child only escaped because her jodhs boot came off eventually.

I'm really very worried as I always thought these stirrups were fail safe :(

Are there any safety stirrups for children that can be guaranteed to work?

Obviously hoping the leather comes off the stirrup bar doesn't happen either :(

Please help a worried mummy..

Fiona

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The only time I've seen this happen is when the foot is too wide for the stirrup and regardless of the elastic coming off, the foot gets stuck on the very bottom metal part.

I have used these stirrups for my daughter for years and she's fallen off trillions of times but I always make sure when her feet grow, that the metal part of the stirrup is wide enough.

Fiona

Visit site
Do you think I've just been unlucky fw, to have seen two not perform within one year?

First instance was a child with a pony on trial so I did wonder if stirrups weren't the right size.

Today however it was a new pony with completely new tack.

My LO has just over 1cm either side in his 4.5cm stirrups. That's right isn't it?

Fiona

teapot

Visit site
Peacocks are definitely not fail safe, no stirrup is. You also need some force to pop the bands off, especially if they're brand new ones and the foot has to be in the right place to do so.

If the boot got stuck though (from what you're saying as it came off the child) I'd hazard a guess they were far too small for the rider.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't know I saw my friend's kid dangling by a leg and was told it had happened before and they couldn't understand it because the band was off. I said about them being too small and sure enough it was that.

Try his boot in them and see if there is any angle it can get wedged in for it to stick.

Fiona

Visit site
I'll do that fw, more than 1cm should be enough though shouldn't it..

The bands would definitely have been new teapot... I honestly didn't see how the foot was wedged as she came off the other side from where I was iykwim..

Fiona

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't know but could also be too small from top to bottom as well I suppose, if they have long narrow feet! We've gone on to 4.75 now which I can also ride in where necessary so can't see them being too small for her. She's nearly 8 tho.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It also depends how the fall happens. Years ago my son was sort of fired upwards and out of the saddle, and I actually watched as his leg was in the air and the Peacock stirrup fell back down over his foot. It was absolutely terrifying watching him being dragged. The stirrups were technically a perfect size for him - but after that I started using stirrup cages on standard irons, which completely prevent any chance of getting a foot caught.

Fiona

Visit site
I've just Google and 1.25cm seems to be correct...

I rode in 4.5cm irons until I was in my 20's fw, I'm such a titch lol...

I'd even buy free jumps if I thought they'd work, but I believe they have a minimum weight and don't work for littlies. ..

Fiona

Shay

Visit site
I've seen far too many PC falls with peacock stirrups resulting in a dragged child. I won't use them. They do work - but there are too many permutations of a fall - especially with a very light rider - which means the system fails.

For a young rider I like the bent leg stirrups. They are more "forgiving" when the boot size is wrong. Obviously not when a seriously over sized foot is stuffed in there - and my own daughter was dragged in similar circumstance when she was mounted on a pony to "teach it manners" when I wasn't looking and the stirrups were not swapped. But they are better on more types of fall and in more circumstances than a peacock.

Once they get a bit bigger / heavier I prefer system 4's, chain stirrups (only because they are cheaper on a growing foot), free jumps etc. And they must fit to the child's boot. When we do pony swaps at PC each child must take their own stirrups from the saddle onto the new mount. I hate the fact that at B test they tend to swap rides with no consideration at all given to the stirrup size and the rider foot. (actually in stage 2 as well come to think of it...)

Also make sure the stirrup bars on the saddle are in the down position. The up position is for storage - the leather needs to come free if there is an issue.

teapot

Visit site
I don't know but could also be too small from top to bottom as well I suppose, if they have long narrow feet! We've gone on to 4.75 now which I can also ride in where necessary so can't see them being too small for her. She's nearly 8 tho.

That's the other thing - peacocks can be quite shallow depth wise and boots can get wedged between top and bottom.

When we do pony swaps at PC each child must take their own stirrups from the saddle onto the new mount. I hate the fact that at B test they tend to swap rides with no consideration at all given to the stirrup size and the rider foot. (actually in stage 2 as well come to think of it...

I ride in my own stirrups in my rs lessons - both instructor and I absolutely hate bent leg irons which all the horses have. Imho they're as bad as peacocks for those with an insecure lower leg as they can get wedged on boots, especially if they're too wide. I refuse to use them for my RDA group too.

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
For a young rider I like the bent leg stirrups. They are more "forgiving" when the boot size is wrong. Obviously not when a seriously over sized foot is stuffed in there - and my own daughter was dragged in similar circumstance when she was mounted on a pony to "teach it manners" when I wasn't looking and the stirrups were not swapped. But they are better on more types of fall and in more circumstances than a peacock.

These aren't as safe as was believed as they allow the foot to change angle and then become wedged. The best are caged irons, though ugly the do prevent the foot getting stuck, but have the disadvantage that kids can end up with toe down all the time.

With regards t B certificate is expected that the riders will be very much of similar size with similar sized tack - if caught up in an exam where the stirrups are too small the candidate should advise the examiners.

Shay

Visit site
I suspect your area runs the B test differently. My daughter was 14 on a 148 Sj'er. She is also very small naturally - standing then under 5' and only just over now. All the other riders were 18+ and all mounted on full up horses. We didn't have a problem and she passed. But I did worry about the well over 6' lad with massive feet who had her pony. He did look most odd and her stirrups for a size 3 foot could never have fitted him correctly.

Fiona

Visit site
It also depends how the fall happens. Years ago my son was sort of fired upwards and out of the saddle, and I actually watched as his leg was in the air and the Peacock stirrup fell back down over his foot. It was absolutely terrifying watching him being dragged. The stirrups were technically a perfect size for him - but after that I started using stirrup cages on standard irons, which completely prevent any chance of getting a foot caught.

I didn't know that was why you had the stirrup cages r :(

Unfortunately I've just passed them on to a friend with a riding school who teaches a wee one with cerebral palsy and she's finding them very helpful.

Fiona

Tnavas

Visit site
Surely at B test level the onus would be on the riders to check the tack is suitable for themselves to ride before getting on?

It is but also the TD ans examiners should be sure everyone is safe. I do say to my B students to check them and also when I'm examining B for them to check the stirrup size, especially as they are usually jumping the 'Strange' horse.

Shady

Visit site
I didn't know that was why you had the stirrup cages r :(

Unfortunately I've just passed them on to a friend with a riding school who teaches a wee one with cerebral palsy and she's finding them very helpful.

Fiona

Fiona, you can still get your foot trappped and be dragged using Matrix cages, i know because it happened to me twice and my foot was completely wedged solid between the top of the stirrup and the rim of the cage ( and i have little feet), there is a slight difference in height and fit when they attach and it leaves a gap. I tried EZ caged afterwards, lovely but massive, then i bought a pair of Barefoot ones, they do them in childs sizes too and the added benefit is that they are 90 degree which makes them easy to find and they stick to your feet like glue!

Fiona

Visit site
While I would love to get some cages again, they are all working in PC at the moment on keeping their heels down and stirrup on the ball of their foot, so adding cages would be a retrograde step, though obviously safer.

Why is nothing ever simple...

I really don't know what to do :(

Fiona

Tnavas

Visit site
Do you think I've just been unlucky fw, to have seen two not perform within one year?

First instance was a child with a pony on trial so I did wonder if stirrups weren't the right size.

Today however it was a new pony with completely new tack.

My LO has just over 1cm either side in his 4.5cm stirrups. That's right isn't it?

Fiona

Yes you are correct about the width of the stirrup, though with a little person just check that the width and the height of the stirrup don't allow the whole foot to go right through the stirrup.

There are some things you can attach to the stirrup that join stirrup to leather and unlock should the rider fall but I can't remember what they are called.

To ensure that the stirrup leather will come off in the event of a fall, ensure the clip on the saddle is always down, that the leathers are fine enough to slide off easily and that the end is never put through any loops on the saddle.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Hate hate hate peacock stirrups it amazes me that they are still allowed PC given how many accidents there are with them :(
Swan neck stirrups are great and I've never seen an accident with them getting caught up.

Tnavas

Visit site
Hate hate hate peacock stirrups it amazes me that they are still allowed PC given how many accidents there are with them :(
Swan neck stirrups are great and I've never seen an accident with them getting caught up.

I've seen them with the whole foot slipped sideways and through the gap - they were very popular here in NZ 25-30yrs ago but have fallen out of favour as not as safe as believed.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Tnavas you mean swiss safety clips which you can still get, or barnes buckles which if you are lucky you’ll get on ebay as they aren’t made now. I ride with these (i have a set of both) but im not sure if there is a minimum weight needed for them to work. Ive heard lots of things about freejumps not freeing the foot too.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I've seen them with the whole foot slipped sideways and through the gap - they were very popular here in NZ 25-30yrs ago but have fallen out of favour as not as safe as believed.

Which ones? Peacocks I've seen: foot gone through, rubber not given; rubber gone, jodh's hocked up on the hock bit; foot wedged in the gap; and the old favourite someone too heavy riding in them and the stirrup snapping :(

EmmasMummy

Visit site
No stirrup is fail safe. But bent leg are definitely the best option! My 3yr old ended up upside down and hanging last year as he slipped and got his foot stuck. These were 3.5" stirrups and size 9 (infant boots).

Eldest insists on pitting so much foot through the stirrup if she does come off she will get stuck, so I have decreed that the toe stops are going back on!

pennyturner

Visit site
The only drag fall we have ever had (6 kids of my own, plus friends, charging around like loons most weekends) was from a small pony with peacocks. The rubber came off, but the stirrup locked around the upturned boot. Pony was in canter when it happened, and could easily have spooked into a runaway, but mercifully had enough sense to realise that the way to stop the thing bouncing around underneath it's feet was to pull up. Child's foot came out of boot at about the same time as pony came to a stand-still.

Until reading this thread, I thought it was a freak accident. Now I'm not so sure.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Swan necks

You'd be surprised when it comes to bent/swan neck ones. I somehow and worryingly got one stuck on my boot fairly recently!

That does surprise me, I've used them for over 25years without incident but nothing is completely infallible and having said that I have probably jinxed myself. And yes I have crash tested them thoroughly.
I would have to ask though teapot what boots you were wearing vs size of stirrup? May have nothing or all to do with it. So for those who prefer the cages what would you recommend in competition where they are not permitted?

teapot

Visit site
That does surprise me, I've used them for over 25years without incident but nothing is completely infallible and having said that I have probably jinxed myself. And yes I have crash tested them thoroughly.

As I said in a previous post I refuse to use bent legs for my RDA group, they're not safe enough imho. I use standard irons and leather toe stoppers. My II instructor hates them too...

I would have to ask though teapot what boots you were wearing vs size of stirrup? May have nothing or all to do with it. So for those who prefer the cages what would you recommend in competition where they are not permitted?

I was in a flatwork lesson when it happened, no idea why but one iron ended up wedged onto the laces part of my Ariat long boots. They're not that narrow width wise, am a seven foot size, and stirrups were the 4.75 width. One of those things but I had to stop and forcibly remove it with my hands.

Last edited: