Childhood books

Burnttoast

Visit site
After a bit of interweb research (thank you, wikipedia!) I've found the name of a book I read as a child (11 maybe?). I remember loving it but couldn't remember the name. Anyway, here it is http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Stall...M2YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325103435&sr=8-1 and I've ordered a copy (thank you abebooks). Wonder whether I'll love it again? Anyone read this, and what other childhood classics do you want to revisit? If I had the strength I'd reread Patricia Leitch's *Dream of Fair Horses*, which is on my shelves, but it makes me cry so I'll leave it till I'm feeling stronger :p

BlackRider

Visit site
I always loved the Patricia Leith Jinny at Finmory series, and I'm sure that was responsible for me ending up with 2 arabs :D

Burnttoast

Visit site
Yes! I wanted Shantih and my mate wanted the highlands... Think I might reread them now I've finished Pratchett for the nth time. :D

BlackRider

Visit site
LOL - yes I definitely wanted Shantih :D:D

I also liked Horse from Black Loch too, also by Patricia Leitch - definitely worth checking out if you've not read that.

Burnttoast

Visit site
I think I have read it - don't have it so must have been a library borrow. Would I have been scared? ;) *back off to Amazon*

BlackRider

Visit site
Glad to be of help :D

The night of the red horse was my fave Jinny book - and the horse from the black loch was a similar type :)

starryeyed

Visit site
I used to love the Jinny ones too! And Sandy Lane Stables!
My favourite horsey book is one I discovered when I was younger, it's called Blind Beauty - by KM Peyton, I think, and it's about a blind racehorse. Need to re-find and re-read it!

dotty1

Visit site
I can remember reading The Black Stallion, The Red Stallion and Rosina Copper, but couldn't tell you what they were about now!!! - far too long ago!!

Burnttoast

Visit site
I've hidden my childhood books on top shelf so as to appear intellectual to the casual visitor :p Just standing on back of armchair to see which Phantom Horses I have .... all except the first, typical!

KM Peyton - brilliant, all of them. Love *The Team*.

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Another vote for the jinny at finmory books , also i read a book once called ' a horse called September ' no idea who wrote it but i do remember that it was a good story. I had hundreds of horse books but when we moved house and my parents split up , my mum took them all to a jumble sale - gutted:(

WildRider

Visit site
Ooooh yes, 'Jinny At Finmory' was an awesome series, Night of the Red Horse' was definitely the best of them. The 'Phantom' series always kept me entertained too, as did the Pullein-Thompson novels, and I'm sure I read a couple of Brit books with a pony called Misty that a girl won in a competition, but no idea who they were by/what they were called. The ultimate in horsey books from my childhood though has to be Ruby Ferguson's 'Jill' books.

...And if I can through a not-strictly-speaking horsey, but still country, book in, I loved/still love Enid Blton's 'Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm'!

Burnttoast

Visit site
Anyone remember who wrote the World's End books? Was it the woman who wrote Follyfoot? They were more country than strictly horsey as well, I think - just remember loving them but that's all I can remember (at ripe age of 37...)

Jinny at Finmory def coming out on top here :D

Spiritedly

Visit site
I loved Black Beauty and still have it. I also loved Thunderhead, the follow up to My Friend Flicka. Another one that sticks in my mind, I can't remember the title of but think it may of been by one of the Pullein-Thompsons and it had a pony called Adonis in it. Did anyone else read it?

Burnttoast

Visit site
I like the element of magical realism in Jinny. Maybe it doesn't appeal to others. I find different things in the books as I get older. Can't say the same for some others in the genre, tho I love the escapism.

World's End = Monica Edwards - thanks for memory-jogging, Maesfen, even if you're not going to be rereading the Finmory books any time soon :) ;)

springtime13

Visit site
Hmm I thought it was Monica Dickens (Charles Dickens grand daughter) who wrote the follyfoot and world's end series. My favourite authors in that genre would def be Patricia Leitch and KM Payton. Flambards is a real favourite from Payton and from Leitch I'd say Dream of Fair horses and Jump to the top. I have just read the Jill series again and find it amazingly unrealistic, as one minute Jill is just learning to sit on her pony and the next minute perfecting her collected canter and jumping 4ft jumps. I do enjoy the quaintness of the series mind.

ThreeTB's

Visit site
I loved the Jinny books (bought them all again off ebay recently :eek:) but for some reason my favourites are the Jill books - so very dated, even when I read them in the 70's, but I still remember 'Mummy's beastly hens' :D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
- thanks for memory-jogging, Maesfen, even if you're not going to be rereading the Finmory books any time soon :) ;)

Lol, you're welcome although I think you meant M Dickens. :)

. I have just read the Jill series again and find it amazingly unrealistic, as one minute Jill is just learning to sit on her pony and the next minute perfecting her collected canter and jumping 4ft jumps. I do enjoy the quaintness of the series mind.

I think that was part of it that it gave complete novices (like me) hope that yes, I could do that - given half the chance!;)

I don't like Jinny either Maesfen so you're not alone.

Glad to hear that Sue! Don't know what it was about them but they really grated on me. I found an old one recently and tried to read it again but compared to my favourite authors it just seemed so juvenile, not like the capable children in the Punchbowl or Romney Marsh series or those in the hunting trilogy of C P-T and TBH, those children more mirrored our own attitudes and capabilities (or what we wanted to be like) back then; it's just a sign of being old I suspect, more's the pity. I'm glad others like them though so won't knock them again. :)