Children, horses and summer holidays

cobface

Visit site
How is everyone managing to fit riding in with children being off school?
I work part time of an evening and have changed my horses routine around, instead of riding 5 days during the day time and weekends off i now go after work (730pm) and ride and muck out of an evening and plan to ride weekends. Shes out during the night and in of a day, shes at livery so helps that there is someone to skip out and give extra hay in the daytime till i get down of an evening.

sandr

Visit site
Mine is out 24/7 at the moment, and he get ridden at weekends only now. I cant be doing with trying to fit riding in during the week. He isn't complaining.

Firehorse

Visit site
my kids go to a holiday club a couple of times a week. they love it and it gives me the chance to work in the morning and ride in the afternoon. they'll also be away with their dad for two weeks, so i'll be riding every day then, and when they come back, pony will deserve a bit of holiday himself :)

Lexie81

Visit site
I work term time so the school hols is the only time when i can ride every day and also spend time with my daughter. I school or lunge 3-4 days a week then at the weekends when hubby is home, or if the grandparents offer in the week i hack out. My daughter has a pony too so we spend time together doing things with her pony. She is 7 and pretty good, brings a book to read or rides her bike around the yard and fields while i school my horse and helps me to poo pick!

Maisy

Visit site
My mare is going on holiday to a friend in Yorkshire, who will ride her with her kids on their pony....(she lost her horse a couple of years ago and hasnt found another). My pony is going on loan and my 3 yr old is being turned away on grass livery for the summer.....

My kids are good as far as poo-picking etc is concerned and come and play in the fields whilst I am busy.....

Nickles1973

Visit site
I take my 3 urchins down the yard with me and they happily play hide and seek or footie in the fields (not the ones the horses are grazing in!) Or they have their DS's or even muck out for me while I ride if they feel like it. They can groom the YO's old 11hh field companion if they like and they are generally well behaved so I suppose I'm fortunate. I'm also lucky enough to be on a very small yard where one of my friends rides the YO's other pony and her kids are the same age roughly as mine so they can also play with them. I think my children are fairly happy with this arrangement, lets face it a lot of kids would love acres of space to run around and play with their friends and animals to care for if they choose. I try to get them home before lunch time and then we can do things like go to the park or swimming ect in the afternoon. I do the boring stuff like poo picking once my hubby is home in the evening.