Childrens meet, what to expect.

scewal

Visit site
My 4 year old son would like to attend our local childrens meet. What happens at the childrens meet. I have never hunted myself so would like a few pointers of what to do or expect to happen, thank you.

Aesculus

Visit site
My 4 year old son would like to attend our local childrens meet. What happens at the childrens meet. I have never hunted myself so would like a few pointers of what to do or expect to happen, thank you.

Check www.bailyshuntingdirectory.com for the relevant hunt and contact the Hunt Secretary who will be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have (and find a 'nanny' for you/your son) and most importantly make sure all three of you (son, you and pony) have a great day out.
They will be able to give you a much more objective viewpoint than anyone posting here.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Lots of small hairy excited ponies ridden by small excited children. Usually with little or no brakes and all careering about. Mum and Dad sat in Discovery in the warm whilst we try and catch said pony, put child back on, tighten noseband and suggest maybe a snaffle and a cavasson is not a good idea. Dry tears and put on lead rein. Repeat this about 5 times in assorted coloured ponies!!

Only joking..............................slightly!!

scewal

Visit site
Lol love your description! My little one is still on the lead rein, but i expect pony will turn into a coiled spring.

L&M

Visit site
Our childrens meets are usually fast and furious, and not for the faint hearted! I remember a lady turning up to one of ours last season, it was her first time out and she had picked this meet as thought it would be safe!! Suffice to say she went home early and we have not seen her since!

Having said that I often field master the more nervous/non jumpers and we always have a lovely time. We do take it steadier and more often than not, do attempt a few smaller obstacles, which makes their day.

You say your child is on the lead rein, so would assume at some stage you will get left behind, so ensure you have a mobile phone plus relevant numbers if you want to find the field. However most 4yr olds will be happy to just attend the meet, stuff their pockets full of sweets, but once the faster action begins want to go home!

Have fun!

Last edited:

Tammytoo

Visit site
What to expect? Chaos!!

Not for the faint-hearted, but if your child is brave and confident he'll love it, but might be better to just attend the meet, unless you are very fit!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Give the pony three days of very hard work prior so he arrives at the meet subdued. Have a good strong lead rope with a knot at the end and some comfortable and supportive footwear for yourself.

Don't let the pony get too close to the hounds, in case he gets alarmed and starts to kick out - I have seen this happen to a lead rein rider, who was ejected from the saddle, but really it was granny's fault for getting pony mixed up. Keep the pony's head towards the hounds and mind out for yourself and son that you are not in kicking range of any other pony as well.

See if you can get some other lead rein ponies to walk with at the back so your pony isn't left by himself with the others disappearing into the distance.

Make sure pony and rider are clean and tidy but don't go out and buy anything new. Arrive in plenty of time to get rider on excited pony and walk quietly to the meet. Stand in a corner so you can survey all. You should get offered food and drink. The Master will say a few words before you all move off. Then you can stay as long as you and your son want to.

The older children will be given jobs to do, and there will be adults on quiet horses to give them a lead over jumps, make sure they are OK, etc.

Vicki1986

Visit site
One of my first meets was a children's one, was great as its was very informative, and as I was on a pony I looked like a child anyway!
The children roared with laughter when I fell off at the first jump.... And five hours later having hacked home I remember it being one of the best times I'd ever had riding. Was not really any 'slower' than a Normal meet. Was good fun though! I have much respect for those who manage tokeep hold of a pony on the lead rein.
I have been out since on another and did have to catch a few runaways which was good fun. Have fun!

scewal

Visit site
I think i shall play safe, and shoot off after the initial meet. I am pretty fit but as my son hasn't been riding very long i don't want to dent his confidence. The meet is less than 1 mile from my field. I have found out they first use the x country course at the house then off to the woods.

My son has borrowed all the gear and is so very excited to look smart. My partner hunts, hence my sons huge interest. But he has asked to go 'frog hunting' on horse back instead!!

I think i will give the pony a long lunging session before we part, as he is full of beans at the moment.

caberston

Visit site
carnage :D

he'll love it though, great that you can start off in small doses :) never fun if on his first outing he gets frozen solid and pony gets massively wound up- risk putting him off for life! good luck :D

Last edited: