Child's safety stirrups

Chianti

Visit site
I have a pony on loan and a child who shares him. The pony came with tack and the child has been using the leathers and stirrups that came with the pony. I have my own. The stirrups are the ones with a rubber band on the outside. Am I correct in thinking that there should still be a gap between the foot and the edge of the stirrup? I've recently seen the child ride and there isn't really a gap anymore. I've suggested to mum that she should buy new irons but have just wondered if that should be my responsibility. What do people think?

Shay

Visit site
Yes there should be a gap. There is also a weight limit for peacock stirrups outside of which they don't work correctly. I don't know if that applies for this child or not. I'm paranoid about child riders having the correct irons for our PC pony.

Chianti

Visit site
Thanks - I'd forgotten about the weight limit. He's a very good pony but she does jump on him and her position isn't always totally secure. I'd said to her mum when she started riding him that she would need new irons at some point. I'd feel very guilty if something happened.

Shay

Visit site
Personally I don't allow Peacock stirrups. I know I'm in a slightly odd position as I offer shares on a proven PC competition pony and do have a fairly free rein to specify what I want. I have a fair size range of bent leg irons but if someone doesn't fit what I have they are required to buy their own. I know others have no issue with peacock stirrups but over the last almost 20 years (eek am I that old?!!) of pony club I have seen more accidents than saves.

The insurance position is really that the owner - regardless of their level of involvement - is liable for any accident. But there have been recent developments which suggest that if you hold yourself out as any form of authority you might render yourself liable. This is a litigious society. You could use that as a lever to get the parents to buy new irons. Even if you have just told them in text or email that they need to do so this could limit your liability.

No-one wants a child hurt of course. But sometimes parents are their own worst enemy. At least if you have a legal line drawn it should help if the worst happens.