Chinese Lanterns

Teeni

Visit site
I don't like the fact they make these with wire knowing they can land everywhere and hurt any animal. But the worst thing is the fact you don't know where they are going to land, i've heard a few stories where they have landed on barns etc and completely gutted the farmers supply of straw and hay.

KitKat_89

Visit site
I know of fields burt down and have found plenty in fields which would ultimately be cut for hay or such, they are a menace! And I can second you never know where they will land - saw some let off on the beach on bonfire night and one landed on the walkway above the sea wall right infront of people walking! I don't know if these petitions make any difference in the end but I can't not sign it!

Thanks to everyone else who adds thier name :)

rascal

Visit site
Done! These things were a real problem at our last field, luckily so far not at the new one. Hoof size wire not to mention frightening for our almost blind boy. We got fed up of picking the things up!!

haras

Visit site
My mare had colic surgery last year... cause of colic a small length of thin wire... probably from a chinese lantern landing in a hay field.

She was in foal too....

fortunately she pulled through and gave me a healthy filly foal this spring.

i'll sign.

EstherYoung

Visit site
If you've had any incidents with them, please report them to the BHS too as they are keeping records. s.hardy@bhs.org.uk is the contact.

We've found a few in our fields (my youngster was playing with one of them). Also we encountered a fully puffed up one bouncing down a narrow walled lane towards us while I was riding - luckily Spud, although he was terrified, was very good and let me go and catch it and put it out of harms way while he hid behind me, but a less bombproof horse could have caused an accident as there was no-where for us to go.

Horrid things.

TheFarmersWife

Visit site
Done!
We've lost a bullock to one of these after he choked on it. Also found the wire wrapped round a pet goats horns and embedded in the fleece of a sheep (didn't realise until it broker the shearers clippers).
I've walked our farm picking up bin bags full of these menaces. Although some are biodegradable, most (the cheaper ones) are not, they have a wire structure.
The NFU are trying to get them banned but the government aren't interested.
Thanks formatting it
X

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Done - also please do what I do and if you see a catalogue with the blinkin things being sold, email the catalogue and tell them you wont be using their catalogue again and neither will any of your friends until they drop them. There have been house fires on thatched roofs caused by them too, so it's not just a farming issue and also lots of false alarm call outs for emergency lifeboats and helicopters to rescue people as they float across the sea.

Sarah Raven and Nauticalia already dropped them in response to my (and poss others) pressure.

The next target is Presents for Men who have them in their latest catalogue :-(((

I really dont understand why they cannot be banned. Im not keen on banning things as a rule but the menace of these so far outweighs the benefits and they are already banned in some other EU countries. Rules about being careful where you set them off only work on careful people!! And there are no safe places to set them off in a country as crowded as ours.

So give the retailers some earache - they should not be making money from animals agonising deaths!

NeilM

Visit site
Signed.

We watched dozens of these things being released all over the place on Nov 5th. I was very relieved on Sunday morning to see that none had landed in our paddocks.

Roll on Dec 31st, that's when the next big launch will happen :mad:

hayinamanger

Visit site
Signed and thank you for posting this. These objects are a menace, I cannot understand why they are not banned as a fire hazard. I am always finding them in our fields, they worry me, as cattle will eat anything. I've yet to find one without the wire, most have both wire and bamboo, a bit of bamboo would easily pierce the digestive tract of any animal and cause death.

Feathered

Visit site
Off to sign this now, these things are another pet peeve of mine. Picked one up on recently metres away from the straw barn... Just a gust of wind and that could have been a whole different outcome.

Also when we had the really dry spell over the summer we had had one fire on the local common as it was but the pub that sits on the edge was still letting these things off when they had parties/weddings on... So irresponsible!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Signed!!! And forwarded on...

Didn't Countryfile do an edit on these? If I'm mistaken, then they ought to...

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
Chinese Laterns are one of the most evil menaces created, especially for anybody in the countryside.

I am told this issue is of considerable concern to MP's.

All you have to do is get hold of your MPs e-mail address - just Google his name and it is almost a certainty his or her e-mail address will appear in their website.

Send him or her a short e-mail about the dangers and I would give very short odds that something is going to be done by Parliament fairly quickly, about making them illegal and making it a serious criminal offence to set one off and holding the person personally and financially responsible in the civil courts for damages!

Even if they don't land on one's property they cause considerable anxiety.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Done!
We've lost a bullock to one of these after he choked on it. Also found the wire wrapped round a pet goats horns and embedded in the fleece of a sheep (didn't realise until it broker the shearers clippers).
I've walked our farm picking up bin bags full of these menaces. Although some are biodegradable, most (the cheaper ones) are not, they have a wire structure.
The NFU are trying to get them banned but the government aren't interested.
Thanks formatting it
X

Friend lost two heifers last year, damn things were in a hay bale. They are a danger on so many counts. Signed.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Although the present for men ones are wire free, so you'd be better targeting pound shops etc

Signed as I hate them and balloon releases. I don't understand why mass littering is accepted if it floats....

The bamboo used in the wire free ones are just as dangerous as the wire to an animals gut and the fire risk is identical. Both types are completely unacceptable.

Agree that the hard core target is the ebay/pound shops but unless well known retailers take a lead, there will never be a tide of opinion building up that these things are not responsible or nice things to use.