Chinese Lanterns

Rostor

Visit site
If you, like me, think that chinses lanterns should be banned please sign the e-petition below.

"Ban the use and sale of Chinese Lanterns in the UK". Why? Because - Wildlife, farm animals, domestic pets, aircraft and coastguard services are affected by the use of these non essential, air born, menaces. FARMING:- Chinese lanterns released into the air at outdoor events such as weddings are killing livestock, and setting fire to fields. EMERGENCY SERVICES:- The UK Coastguard says it has seen a large increase in the number of rescue teams and lifeboats being called out to false alarms, because decorative Chinese lanterns are being mistaken for distress flares.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/13051

also please share :)

Thanks for reading

coolio

Visit site
Farm local to me posted pics of a barn owl caught in one of these. They have spent the last 10 years working hard to improve habitat for wildlife and were gutted to see this happen.

I believe they have started a twitter campaign to get these lanterns banned. Will find out more.

billowfarm

New User
Visit site
@bantheskylanter on twitter for photo of damage these pesky things can do. Interesting article in farmers guardian - spain have banned sky lanterns :)

scrunchie

Visit site
Signed an online petition a few months ago. Not sure if this is the same one?

I haven't had any probs with the lanterns and never really given them much thought until the first petition was passed around.

Shantara

Visit site
They are beautiful and look gorgeous when there's hundreds of them floating off into the distance...

...but no one seems to think of the damage :( Will sign in a bit.

Let's keep them Digital, eh?

Disney%2BTangled%2BMovie%2BFlynn%2BRyder%2BRapunzel%2BLanterns%2BBoat.jpg

haras

Visit site
My mare had colic surgery due to swallowing a piece of wire that caused abcesses, a perforation and peritonitis... she was in foal at the time.

Whether the wire came from a lantern or not I will never know.

I've signed