Chinese lanterns

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
Our school is having a big bash in the summer and is planning to round off the evening by releasing Chinese lanterns.
I know there has been concern about these, particularly with regard to animals swallowing the wire from them.
Am I being paranoid? Has any research been done?

Purple Duck

Visit site
I think they should be banned. Friends of mine have lost lambs due to the wire

AND I also see it as littering

Also- IF we get a nice warm summer then I think that sending Fire up into the sky is a bad idea.

Sorry- I could go on forever- I just think they are bad.

xXx

Capriole

Visit site
evil things. The wire is a hazard, and so is letting little naked flames loose to land where they will, barns, thatched roofs etc etc., I really think they should be banned.

mtj

Visit site
If you do a search on the NFU website you'll get to see the issues.

Miserable deaths for livestock, crop/heath/woodland fires and risk to thatched homes.

Totally irresponsible and also agree they should be banned in the UK. Some other European countries have already banned these fire/wire bombs.

Best of luck to the kids if they have role models like the organisers of this event.

merlins-mum

community.webshots.com
Yeah. The fire risk is also a concern although at the moment probably not an argument that people will take seriously!
Thanks for the NFU tip. I will look up that info and take along to the next meeting. Better to have done the research and have the backup otherwise it just looks like nimbyism.

Purple Duck

Visit site
Yeah. The fire risk is also a concern although at the moment probably not an argument that people will take seriously!
Thanks for the NFU tip. I will look up that info and take along to the next meeting. Better to have done the research and have the backup otherwise it just looks like nimbyism.

Yay!
Great job!
ALSO... depending where the school is... You could go and find local wildlife area's farms, livery/stud yards etc and ask them...? I am sure they would be happy to pen a letter to state they would not like it done? xXx

attheponies

Visit site
Having retrieved many of these ghastly things out of my horses' fields & various hedgerows I consider them to be an absolute menace. They land in various stages of decomposition leaving paper, plastic, wire or sharp bamboo.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Horses at the yard bolted through a fence over night, lanterns have been found in the fields........ Don't need to be Einstein.:mad:

Also a big concern if near hay crops or heathland after a dry spell. :(

mon

Visit site
Also balloons released cause countryside littering and possible to harm animals, why do people have to set these things loose in sky, who benefits, only the vendor.

D5edon

Visit site
Hi, there is currently a petition which is on the direct gov website. I think I saw a letter to H and H where it gave the link. I absolutely hate Chinese lanterns and cannot actually believe they are legal. Even forgetting for a moment the damage they can do to barns, horses and countryside (although' can't forget that for long), I once saw one come down and land on top of a car and cause considerable damage - it needed someone to put it out before it caused further damage.

Shantara

Visit site
Chinese lanterns should NOT be banned.
Chinese lanterns are fixed objects that hang from things.

It's THAI lanterns that float and set fire to stuff.