Chipped sesamoid bone.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
So...does anyone have any good outcome stories to share?

My lovely coloured lad managed to break the bottom of one in his hind a week ago friday in the field. Dog lame coming in that night, box rested, pretty much sound the next morning so we moved yards thinking it was the cut on his leg that had done it and was just very painful having caught it fresh. Only a teeny bit off till tuesday...again cut leg was the thought. Back in dog lame tuesday night. Xrayed which confirmed a chip.

So he had surgery on Thursday last week and are looking at 3-4 months of box rest. Hes a bit special as this was not the result of over extension...but almost a crush injury as the chip was pushed off front to back rather than pulled off so no direct tendon/ligament involvement and vets hope he will be ok and can get back to doing all he does now, but of anyone else has rehabed a horse from this would be great to know your experiences.

C.

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Not sure if it's quite the same but my mare fractured her sedamoid and damaged her tendon when was a 4 year old. It was caused by a crazy driver on the road which resulted in my horse falling flat out onto the road which is when she fractured it. She got straight up and me and my sister walked her back to the yard, she only had a tiny cut on her fetlock and wasn't lame at all in walk so I assumed she had just cut it. Didn't ride her for a few days and we noticed she was lame when she trotted in the field so got the vet out that day, vet said field test and Bute for a week and she will come back after she has finished the Bute, no improvement when she came back so had x rays and saw the fracture so she went off the the vets. Overall she was in box rest for around 9 months which was horrendous but she is now 6 and doing better than ever. She completely recovered from the injury (although I don't think the vets expected her too) and you wouldn't even know it happened to her and plan to start competing her in sj soon. I used magnetic boots and NAF msm supplement around the 6 month mark which I believe really helped.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Thank you and sorry for the late reply. Travelling with work so even worse for me atm. I am very glad your horse recovered as that sounds horrific.

Luckily i think we are hoping for only 2 months box rest, then walking and larger pen rest for another 2 the hopefully crack on.

Hopefully....