Chipping to hoof wall

JellyBeanz2

New User
Visit site
Help. Bought my horse in December. He came fully shod but had to have at least backs off as per yard policy for new horses. He was also very overweight but has since lost 50kg. No hard feed only hay. He’s been barefoot since December. This week his hooves have started splitting and chipping. First just one back but now the fronts too. Sent photo to farrier who said not to worry as he isn’t lame and just to put hoof oil on. Vet (who came for mite treatment) said not to use oil but to put silverfeet on.
I’ve just started giving him a handful of feed each day with Biotin but concerned about keeping off he extra weight. Just found out today he was always previously shod. So don’t know what to do.... get 2 fronts back on or will he be okay without? And if there is anything else I can be feeding or putting on them?

Attachments

• DF52F0DB-B823-4532-AB53-8166CE80D436.jpeg
    DF52F0DB-B823-4532-AB53-8166CE80D436.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 35

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The walls look rather long so they are breaking off. Keep them trimmed a bit shorter and with a good roll on the edge and they won't break off as much, they normally just break like this when the hooves have grown too long.
Don't panic about them so long as he's sound but hoof oil won't do anything. A hoof friendly mineral supplement such as Equimins complete pellets will improve feet over time.