Chirp Chirp They are back .................................

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Heard a familiar Chirping - Looked up and out swallows are back ducking and diving around the yard, must have comeback at first light.

Anyone else??

Bernster

Visit site
One person on my FB but not round us yet. I was thinking about these fellas yesterday as I was in Fs stable, had a peek at the old nest but nothing there yet.

We have a yard cat and when she's on the yard (hunting no doubt) the swallows do this amazing aerial display of circling and swooping at her to try and out her off. Sadly it doesn't, and she's wily enough to wait and swipe at them when they go past. Has even caught one mid air before. I try and distract her!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Haven't seen any yet here in Devon. It has been so wet and cold I doubt there are enough flying insects for them to eat. The skylarks have been soaring and singing for some weeks now though.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I took all their nest from last year and bought new deeper ones for the stables they were in, as the shallow ones kept having babies falling out.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Clsowr6.jpg

Visit site
Ours aren't back yet. :(
(Though i dont know if they're swifts or swallows? How do you tell?).
They're just the 'freaking cute lil flappy things that divebomb anyone who dares enter their stable'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Spotted 10 miles away at a nature reserve, but mine aren't back yet and I haven't seen any out walking.

I'm in Ceredigion.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our first one got back last night. Being horseless now I had shut the top door on the stables so had to rush out and open them for him or her. At least there is plenty of mud for nests, in the past I have been known to run the hose for them.

Clodagh

Visit site
I took all their nest from last year and bought new deeper ones for the stables they were in, as the shallow ones kept having babies falling out.

I'm really cross as I meant to sort out their nest, no hatchlings fell but in two places the whole nest fell down. I wanted to put cups up for them.

Floofball

Visit site
Ours usually return on the 12th so I’m hoping they’re following up behind this horrible wet weather! Numbers were down last year but they had a good summer and many had 3 broods so fingers crossed lots make it back :)

SEL

Visit site
Not yet - but the local rook population are lining their nests with horse hair. Naked pony day yesterday and found the rooks sitting on the horses pulling hair out!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
None here yet in very South Oxfordshire. And I'm wondering if we'll hear a cuckoo this year, they've been absent for the last three and I miss them.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
One person on my FB but not round us yet. I was thinking about these fellas yesterday as I was in Fs stable, had a peek at the old nest but nothing there yet.

That will be me I guess! :D

Yes, I was shouted at last night for daring to enter their stables!! It really lifted my spirits for the first time in a while, it has been a tough few weeks.

We are based in West Berkshire. x

jodie3

Visit site
I've recently moved to a new yard and was very excited to see the swallows yesterday!
I thought it was a bit early for them yet?
At least there is plenty of mud for their nests this year.
I'm in Sussex.

cavalo branco

Visit site
Yes! Our first single one returned on Thursday! Exactly 3 days after last year too, amazing after all the cold weather we've had. They spend the summer diving in over the horses' heads. We get swallows and house martins every year, we're in Sussex.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I saw some today about a mile from my house, it definitely lifts the spirits especially after such a miserably long wet winter. I've got it recorded that they were back in this area (west Wales) on the 4th April last year, so they're only a few days late.

JJS

Visit site
I haven't seen them yet (West Yorkshire), but hopefully it won't be too much longer!

Mule

Visit site
I'm not overly fond of sparrows. They have built two nests in the rafters of my horse's stable. I get tired of having to remove bird poop from his back!

popsdosh

Visit site
Ooh! Thank you so much!
I think we have ourselves a lovely family of swifts :)

Its to early yet for swifts! they dont normally appear until early to mid may. They are more solitary and less likely to be around buildings this time of year. Although they are very easy to distinguish from House martins and Swallows as they are larger and have a different flight and shape and most important no white.

Yeomans

Visit site
First ones arrived here in Kent/East Sussex borders yesterday. Does that mean that the weather is getting better?....

Mrs B

Visit site
One seen high over the yard on Thursday, but they're back properly now; swooping into the barns this morning :) :) :)

(East Devon coast)

WandaMare

Visit site
Thought I heard one around the stables yesterday, spotted him this morning. Lovely to hear their little chirps around the yard again. We're in South Bristol.

Mule

Visit site
Hang an umbrella upside down from the rafter, under the nests. This is what I do. I’ll take a picture later!
Oooh that's clever. Good advice. I'll do that. I can't picture how to do it though. A photo would be great

Mule

Visit site
I had a look at the rafters and I understand how to fit the umbrella now. They haven't arrived yet so I must get to work before they do