Hi all

It appears a lovely chocolate 18 mth lab may have found me as a new mummy
smile.gif

What should I know about the breed, behaviour, wants etc

Thanks
grin.gif

Kallibear

Visit site
They a big, boisterous dogs that need a lot of exercise. Generally very friend, if a little over enthusiastic, and often less trainable that the black and yellows (i.e madder!). There are always expeptions to the rule though - I know some very quite chocolate labs (they're too fat to be bouncey
mad.gif
and a couple of nervous ones)

A well trained, obedient chocolate lab is a joy - a badly trained or disobedient one is a nightmare. I wouldn't say they were from novice owners who aren't willing to put time and effort into training, as they run riot otherwise (bit like golden retreivers).

They, like all labs, are very very prone to getting fat. They are the 'native pony' off the dogs world, plus very food obsessed and greedy. A huge proportion of the lab popultion (although it applies to the entire dog population) are obese - it's really sad as it chops 5years off their life
frown.gif

I love chocolate labs and will def have one next time (black labs and spaniels at present)

dunthing

Visit site
My son has a loony choc lab who was bought by a couple who were out all day. He was very fat and a complete lunatic. Not at all destructive but very boisterous. Son and family take him up on the ridgeway most days for a good gallop. I've been told that they don't make good gun dogs. Lucky you, I wish my landlord would let me have a dog because it would definitely be a lab. My last one was a yellow bitch who was 14 when she died and she was a rescue who looked like a whippet when I first had her. Good luck with your Choccy

GinaB

Visit site
I think Kallibear has covered most of it
smile.gif
I do love chocs, but as we use labs for gundogs we wouldn't get one as they don't tend to do well on the field.

Labs are a lovely breed of dog, most have a very trainable attitude but training classes are always a good idea
smile.gif
They can be prone to hip and eye problems (my older lab only has one eye as she had a cataract which developed glucoma) They shed a good bit of hair as well. They tend to be very lovable and love lots of love and attention, but chocs require more of a mental challenge, but are so playful
laugh.gif

Saf

community.webshots.com
Thank you all, having had a collie am I right in thinking that are mentaly about the same?
wink.gif
need lots of attention and don't slow down for years
grin.gif

pinktiger

Visit site
my mother has a choc lab,, and hes lovely, chunky (bone, not fat) and affectionate, hes a little accident prone (aot), and once when taken with a gunman, walked into the woods and promptly sat in the middle of a clearing refusing to move with a look of * if you want it, you go get it* hes not hyperactive but once excited 'take cover' he goes insane, running so fast his back end overtakes his front!!!!! one thing he doesnt do is 'bark' ever, never ever, ever, ever, heard him bark,,,
confused.gif
whats with that????

GinaB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all, having had a collie am I right in thinking that are mentaly about the same?
wink.gif
need lots of attention and don't slow down for years
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be about right
grin.gif

I do know someone who owns one that gets so excited to see his 'daddy' he just runs full pelt into him. He broke the guys thigh.
blush.gif

Blue-bear

Visit site
I have a 5month choc lab who generally is very well behaved and loved by all but does occasionally suffer from selective hearing!!lol.
As mentioned above they are prone to getting fat, but only if you let them. The thing i have found is that they are greedy and wont stop when they are full like most dogs but have found this has worked slightly in my favor with his training as he is so food orientated its easy to teach him things if he thinks he will get a treat.
I also go on a similar approach as i do with the horses, if they have worked hard they get fed a little more and less if less etc etc. So with him if he has had treats during the day or picked up stuff around the yard which he is very good at then he will get less, you see where im going.
I do find he will hunt out food though and they will 'steal' it if it is left out to tempt them!
I never had a lab before and like you was a collie lover but i love him to bits and he gives so much back to us, he loves cuddles!
I think you will enjoy yours alot as they can be trained and well behaved as any other dog can with the right work
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Jillyy

Visit site
Having owned both Labs and collies for many years, working, showing and competing with them...I'd personally never get a choccy lab myself. Like another member has said, they don't tend do well in the field, and that would be my only reason personally.

But if your not working you dog, and only intend for it to be a pet, i think labs make lovely dogs.
A dog who is boisterious, hyper or mad is a dog who doesn't get enough mental stimulation and exercise imo.

Having owned border collies and labs, i know that if bored, they will find their own things to do!! Keep them occupied, stimulated and exercised and they are an absolute pleasure to own!

I know plenty of owners with choccy labs and they are absolutely lovely!! Like i say, the only reason they aren't for me is because they don't do well in the field can be a bit frowned upon in the 'working world', and i work and compete so i just wouldn't put my time into one.