Choice of stable?

kahahak

Visit site
Have been given the choice of a 12x12 indoor stable, american barn style, open one end full of horses. Ventilation is ok however have nothing to compare this to.
The other choice is a LARGE outdoor stable, in a set of 5 however the other ones are pony stables and the ponies cannot see out of them so whether my horse could see company would be a question - does anyone have experience of this?
What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as long as the ventilation and light is ok in the barn, i would choose that as horse would be able to see other horses, and its much easier in the depths of winter re mucking out etc...

kahahak

Visit site
as long as the ventilation and light is ok in the barn, i would choose that as horse would be able to see other horses, and its much easier in the depths of winter re mucking out etc...
There are lights and it can be a bit dusty if im honest.. my horse can have a bit of a cough from time to time so i do soak his hay. is 12x2 too small for a 17.1?

paddi22

Visit site
a bit would depend on if your horse is the private type. some horses hate other horses constantly looking at them or being close to them when they are eating. i do now some horses that just don't settle in amaerican barns. One lady had to put a partition across hers as her mare just wouldn't relax and eat if the other horse was standing against the same wall. I know one of mine would be happier in a private walled box.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if its dusty in the barn i wouldnt be happy, also i meant natural light which is important if your horse is in during the day..... my friends horse is 17 hands and he is in a 12 x 12 box and has plenty of room,but i think with a large horse i would be inclined to go for the larger stable and hope he settles, would you be able to move him into the barn if he isnt happy with the outside box?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I have a block outside and have had a small pony in or one that rarely looks out and the horses in the adjoining boxes have always known they were there because they can hear them moving about and eating which is fine for the average horse, it may not suit one with serious separation anxiety.

If I were you I would go outside for the better air quality, the ability to keep the dust down generally as well as having the larger stable.

Casey76

Visit site
I only have one experience. My horses are used to being in an barn type set up with a grill between the boxes so they can see all around and touch noses with the horses next door.

I took them to a clinic where they had full height walls and tall doors. The boxes were much darker and smellier than they were used to, and T could hardly see over the door. Although they could see the horse directly across the row, they couldn’t see anyone else, and they basically spent the entire 4 days shouting; not necessarily to each other, but to anyone who o-would answer.

Perhaps they would have settled eventually, but they weren’t very happy in the more enclosed environment.

SEL

Visit site
Both mine loved being on livery in a barn. They are nosey and can watch what's gling on. I didn't appreciate how much I liked a roof overhead until I moved yards to outside stables - both got wet at times in last year's torrential rain. It was dusty in the barn though and I had problems with eye infections with my mare

In outside stables my gelding settled fine but my mare had a proper wobbly. I had to move stables with one that had another stable straight opposite. She did not like a room with a view.

What size box do you have now? My draft won't lie down if he thinks the box is too small

kahahak

Visit site
Both mine loved being on livery in a barn. They are nosey and can watch what's gling on. I didn't appreciate how much I liked a roof overhead until I moved yards to outside stables - both got wet at times in last year's torrential rain. It was dusty in the barn though and I had problems with eye infections with my mare

In outside stables my gelding settled fine but my mare had a proper wobbly. I had to move stables with one that had another stable straight opposite. She did not like a room with a view.

What size box do you have now? My draft won't lie down if he thinks the box is too small
Right now it is just a quarantine box so just standard wood 12x12 however im not sure whether he has lay down in this. I think I will go for the outside stable as im sure that he will be able to here and smellthe other horses, and tbh double the space in the winter if they are in for a wet week will probably do him a lot of good to be able to move around lots! Just hope he settles in well. I feel as thought the lack of visual stimulation in the barn will probably stress him?

Surbie

Visit site
It was dusty in the barn though and I had problems with eye infections with my mare

That's interesting - am on the second eye infection since July with mine who is in a dusty barn. I hadn't thought about this as a possible cause. Thanks!

9tails

Visit site
If the outside one has an overhang, I'd go for that. Mine isn't keen on american barns with grills, she doesn't like being watched and I always find the walkways are too narrow with other people's junk outside their stables.