choosing a buyer

WeeLassie

Visit site
I was rather surprised by a friend of mine the other day, she's selling her horse, a much loved 10yr old, as shes outgrown him, (in competing standard. not size) and is being rather fussy about buyers.
She had a lovely lady come to see him, good rider, got on well with him, had a great set-up at her home, I was absolutely amazed when my friend muttered under her breath 'well, she's not having him, she's 67 - she'l be giving up in a few years and selling him'.........
I just didn't know what to say!! And it got me thinking- what sort of things would put you off a buyer? Would age alone make the sale a no-no?

william95

Visit site
It depends about age. I've known several people sell horses to very nice, competent ladies in their 20's who are well matched to the horses and promise "forever homes"- which I'm sure they believe at the time but then in a few years time their circumstances change eg marriage/ babies/ job promotions etc and the horse is then sold to compensate for these changes. This wouldn't happen with an older rider so it can work both ways!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
good rider, got on well with him, had a great set-up at her home, I was absolutely amazed when my friend muttered under her breath 'well, she's not having him, she's 67 - she'l be giving up in a few years and selling him'.........
Or she could ride actively for the next 5 years (horse then 15), spend a few more years happy hacking and then retire horse on her own land with possibly a sharer to do gentle hacks.
Always more than one possibility.

Greylegs

Visit site
My friend's mum has just bought a nice new youngster at 72 (her!! ... not the horse!!) and is enjoying her riding more than ever. Your friend's 67 year old buyer sounds ideal.

I wouldn't sell a horse to anyone who was clearly not a good match for my horse, who didn't know the basics or who didn't have good facilities to keep him (not that he's for sale, I hasten to add; just talking hyperthetically).

oldie48

Visit site
As a hale and hearty rider of a similar age who bought her last horse at 65, I'm inclined to mutter something under MY breath. What a cheek. I know lots of older riders, some more competent than others but most would rather get rid of their husband than their horse! Also we don't have children, change jobs etc all those things that get in the way of riding. I am just off to do get Mr B ready for an outside dressage clinic at 19.00, perhaps I should cancel and go to bed with a hot water bottle and a glass of Sanatogen....Bloody cheek!

sychnant

Visit site
Two of my friends are in their 70's and still competing in dressage. One has a young ID and one has an ex-racer! So no, age alone wouldn't put me off :)

Charlie007

Visit site
When I loaned out my older NH horse I had a chap ring up wanting to try him. He was 68, the horse was 18 with mild arthritis but was a fabulous hack. That's all the chap wanted to do was walk round his village talking to people about the horse. He used to get him ready for a ride like he was going to a competition!! Hewas retired so spent all every day with the horses so my horse got so much attention. He did say to me once that if anything happened to him his ex wife would look after the horse and if anything happened to her he would look after her horse. Sadly he got cancer and died, but true to her word the ex looked after the horse. Horse was found dead in the field due to heart failure at the grand age of 27. So in my case loaning ( then selling) to an older person was fabulous, the horse was loved and treasured and I couldn't have found him a better home.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a potential buyer I've encountered people who obviously don't want to sell me theirs because (a) I'm not a "competition home" and (b) I'm 55............

To counter this, I say that I thoroughly enjoy hacking - both solo and with company, and pleasure rides and if I had the right horse I'd maybe enjoy an occasional quiet day's hunting as well; and secondly, that I have my own yard at home with my own land surrounding, and any horse that comes to me will be my "forever" horse.

Sparemare

Visit site
The lady who sold me my last horse had him up for sale for months and kept on pulling out of sales at the last minute. I persuaded her to come and visit me here on my yard so I could show her how he could be kept and to meet the other horses here. That was what clinched the deal for her. If I ever sold him in the future it would be to a mature person. I certainly wouldn't want a child riding him.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Ha, that's age discrimination under the Equalities Act 2010! I bet the horse really would have a home for life if the woman couldn't ride any more after some years but still wanted her horsey 'fix' by caring for one.

GirlFriday

Visit site
More to the point perhaps (I'm not sure about it being age discrimination: isn't it also hard for people over a certain age to get 25year mortgages?): if you want to ensure the future of a horse you don't sell it. Any home could pass it on (after all that is what you are doing!).

Has your friend considered loaning it?

mandyroberts

Visit site
Being of an age myself (mid 50s) I would suggest an older person knows what they want of life ie a horse, isn't going to change jobs, have children etc. When I was looking for a horse a few years ago, a professional breeder who I was talking to re buying one of his horses said whilst he would like the horse to go to a competitive home, horses them selves don't have ambition, so thats a problem for the seller not the life quality of the horse.
I actually think she is totally wrong

DW Team

Visit site
Gosh I am glad the lovely lady who I have just bought my girl from was not judgemental. I felt like I rode like a sack of potatoes. I wanted a happy little chunky to take me round and may be the odd low leavel dressage in time. My girl only 6 and I am mid 50's. The owner was not really going to sell but the mare will not/can not jump. Perfect for me. So pleased I was not judged.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Good grief, no, age wouldn't put me off. I don't tend to sell my horses, but have a friend who is a breeder, in her late 70s, and still backing her own youngsters, not to mention hiking all over her own not inconsiderable and very hilly land carting hay bales to the herds when the golf cart can't make it in the rain! I'm hardly unfit, but I was exhausted when I last went to visit and got roped in to help! It totally depends on the individual!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Age wouldn't put me off when selling but it's the sellers prerogative to be picky if they want to. I would leave her to it and make no comment unless asked.

oldie48

Visit site
I think it's also wrong to assume that "older riders" don't want to be competitive, be challenged or want to continue to improve their riding. We don't all want to plod round the lanes on a safe hack, not that there's anything wrong with that.