Choosing a stallion for a mare

brackenhappy

Visit site
well for this stallion a girl at the yard had spent a year lookin for a stallion for her mare and went with lone ranger so i thought after all the feedback she gave and the fact that YO has one due anytime to top gun would go and look for myself! he has the kind of temprement i like and moves so thought bugger it and sent bracken the next week!! next time (if there is one!!) i'm gonna look bit further afield as bracken can smell the men in the air and was fine when she arrived (normally cant get near her for an hour as she hates change and new places!!) not gonna look at anythin yet as dont want to jinx myself though!!!

brackenhappy

Visit site
god knows!! have decided to restict the number of calls...................so i'm gonna phone tomorrow!!!! they should have some kind of news then as the vet comes on on a friday!!i hope in a way they leave her to come into season natrually as the last 2 times she was jabbed in and no foalie!!with no reason!! think i need serious chat with her about her expenses LOL

Faithkat

Visit site
It depends on what your mare is, i.e breeding and type, and what you want to produce. Look to see what stallions there are of the breeding and type that you want and which will complement your mare, then start nitpicking with regards to which stallion has the conformation to make improvements on your mare etc etc, oh, and temperament is important and they must have the WOW factor.

TiaPony

Visit site
You need to know your mares strongest and weakest areas of conformation and choose a stallion that can improve the weak points and could not be 100% in the areas your mare is strongest. For instance if you have a long backed mare with perfectly conformed limbs, you could use a short backed stallion who doesn't have the worlds most perfect leg confo. Tempremant also plays a large part, as well as the prefered size

htobago

Visit site
I think that the most important thing, assuming the stallion has some stock on the ground, is to look at what he has produced to mares of a similar type and quality to yours, ideally with the same 'faults' as yours.
smile.gif

If you have fallen in love with a young/first-season stallion, who does not yet have any offspring, then it is all the more important to look at his pedigree: he may be an outstanding individual, but does he have the pedigree to ensure that his good qualities are likely to be passed on?

I'm having a photo-pedigree album done of my 3yo stallion - going back 5 generations, with photos of every horse in his pedigree. This will be on CD as well, so I can send copies to breeders who enquire about him - it will save them a lot of research as they will be able to see at a glance what has gone into his genetic make-up.
smile.gif

But if the stallion owner can't provide something like this, you have to do the research yourself.
frown.gif

brackenhappy

Visit site
thanks!!................have had to buy her a new turnout her rug turned up..............shredded!! she might not get it tho unless shes pregnant!!!!
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Sponeck I chose for his temperment, & paces, he has a great walk, & canter. He has some of the best Trak breeding & he has some very nice offspring, sadly very few in the UK. I hoped to improve on the mares paces, which he seems to have done. Even though his son is 1/2 Trak, 1/4 Welsh, 1/4 QH, he has the QH bum & sprint, his standing start is quiet impressive for a PB!
Cool Diamond Star was chosen for his jumping technique & again he has a good walk & canter. He has the breeding to produce an Eventer, though he has done well in the few dressage tests (I think he has been placed each time). I also needed a short coupled stallion as the mare is a tad long in the back. So far the foal is showing very balanced paces, though I think he may have inherited his dams back.