Chopped Straw Bedding and Deep Littering...

Scarlett

Visit site
I have a big Tb gelding who drinks and pee's a lot due to various issues. He is out as much as possible but as he can't cope with grass it's often better to bring him in. I have, up until now, got by on a shavings bed and more recently shavings with wood pellets under it. Not entirely happy with it as it does get dusty so looking at alternatives as I will need to think about putting a bed down for winter. He also likes to wander round his stable which mushes his bed up nicely. I have found that a big deep bed is best and ideally I'd like to deep litter and only remove the wet twice a week (I managed this on a shavings and pellets combo, however I was using 2x each every week and in the end it was all one big mush of dust and soggy shavings) and I am wondering if there is anything else out there that might suit?

I have seen chopped straw locally and looked at Nedz Bedz Pro this am online which sounds ideal (but isn't avail locally so would involve a hike to go get it) - would chopped straw do the job? If so which brand do people recommend?

Any other suggestions?

ihatework

Visit site
I had a really minging wet one that mushed bed too. Anything short chop wise was similar.

By far the best & cheapest method was a base layer of unsoaked wood pellets with a deep straw bed over.

Daily the top was skipped/skimmed off and fresh straw added. Then once a week it was dug out.

Theocat

Visit site
Another option is to do a proper deep litter - leave the wet completely (you will need plenty of bedding initially but it settles down) and let the bed really firm up. Once it's established I found it fine for a wet horse; the top stayed dry and I just removed the poo and dressed the established base with a bit of fresh shavings on top.

Not everyone likes proper deep littering but managed correctly it can be a very good system. It saved my sanity with a wet horse!

honetpot

Visit site
If its chopped straw its not that absorbent and it smells. If its rape, or hemp chopped straw its really good for deep beds, but you have to let it pack down.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I would happily use Bedwell Equinola (chopped rape straw) for deep litter or semi deep litter bed. Not had a really wet horse on it but I prefer it to shavings generally and it seems to settle and sit very well. I'm currently semi deep littering my horrible disgusting creature on Easibed. It's ok but would prefer some Bedwell! Actually would prefer rubber mats and sawdust but that's not an option at the moment!

pansymouse

Visit site
I use chopped wheat straw because that's all I'm allowed to use. I find it perfectly manageable but there again my horse isn't excessively pissy or prone to churning her bed up. I do try and sneak some miscanthus in to give it a bit of bottom weight and stabilise it more - about 20 - 25% goes undetected and does the trick! I pick out everyday and take the wet out twice a week.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thanks folks - looks like I might just stick with what I have unless I can get chopped rape straw.

Will put down a deep pellet bed and top with shavings (Can't use normal straw) and see how that fares first.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have an under bed of chopped rape straw with shavings on top and semi deep litter. I find it works well for one of mine who is incredibly messy as I only remove the wet twice a week. For the tidy one I can leave it much longer. I like the way the sub bed packs down so quickly and I can build proper banks which isn't always possible with just shavings.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'd not want to deep litter Nedzbedz (I do use it)-its not particularly absorbant as mentioned although I do really like it, my current two are pretty clean. For the really bogging horse that I had, auboise was the best bedding but other than that, shavings under straw works well.