CHRIST LAMMFELLE Bareback pads

poppyblossom

Visit site
Hi everyone,

does anyone use a Christ Lammfelle Bareback pad??
I often see them and they just look so comfortable... I may soon have the opportunity to rehome a lovely horse I’ve ridden for years, a gentle old guy who will just be pottering on hacks, nothing interesting and never anything terribly fast...so had thought of maybe trying one out on him.

I was curious to hear any reviews from anyone who has one, and if so what kind of riding you do in it?

thanks in advance folks x

Attachments

• B9FC760C-08BC-4EC3-A893-76975D4E6749.jpeg
    B9FC760C-08BC-4EC3-A893-76975D4E6749.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 20

PurBee

Visit site
I havent used one, yet others who online said theyre highly rated, very comfy, the cream of the crop as far as pads go.

There are some pads with stirrups attached that could only be used for gentle ambling on short rides, due to the lack of padding, and push down onto the spine. Theyre all really designed for stirrup less bareback riding, and if the rides were to be longer, more energetic , a proper saddle is called for.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have one. I decided on the one with the extra foam support for both the horse and for me. It is extremely comfortable.

Mine is the sort that has a place to hand stirrups but I don't as I feel there isn't enough structure to concentrate the pressure with stirrups. Also, the place for the stirrup is a ring, so you would need safety stirrups.

palo1

Visit site
I have one and it is wonderful!! I haven't got a horse that dislikes it but I don't use it with stirrups. I have ridden a newly started horse (fab for that tbh) in it and w/t/c and even done some small, unintentional jumps (mare jumping fern across a pathway) as well as rather lazily for more established horses out hacking and schooling. I felt really super secure and comfortable and it helped my mare to resolve some minor muscle soreness due to a too tight saddle. :) It is also brilliant for helping your own position. I would use one all the time really if I didn't actually feel that stirrups are helpful - which I do!! I think they are a fab tackroom investment and certainly the Christ Lamfelle are the best. :) I think for those that wanted to ride all the time, something like a total contact pad/saddle thingy would work really well with the bareback pad and overcome any concerns about pressure points; it is a set up that I think is quite intriguing!

planete

Visit site
Ok without stirrups but I personally thought it could be quite unsafe with stirrups as the whole set-up could easily slip around the horse. I much prefer the Total Contact with a good pad giving spinal clearance. With this, I can even mount from the ground if necessary.

Pippity

Visit site
I have one and I love it. I haven't quite had the courage to hack in it yet, but it's fabulous for schooling. It was also helpful for confirming that, despite what my saddle fitter said, my horse's sudden onset of bucking was due to saddle fit.

When I did finally switch from the pad to a proper saddle, it was very strange to have suddenly lost so much communication with my horse.

I do have stirrups on mine, but they basically just hang there as a security blanket. I use Barefoot stirrup leathers, which are designed for the ring-type fastening - https://www.barefoot-tack.co.uk/stirrup-leathers-drytex-502-p.asp I had trouble finding leathers short enough, because the ring seems to be placed very low.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It's the one I recommend for those looking for a bareback pad. Don't use stirrups (so probably not great for hacking in most cases) and whatever the marketing/evidence says I would never use anything that is effectively bareback that takes stirrups, except for teeny children.

QueenT

Visit site
Hi everyone,

does anyone use a Christ Lammfelle Bareback pad??
I often see them and they just look so comfortable... I may soon have the opportunity to rehome a lovely horse I’ve ridden for years, a gentle old guy who will just be pottering on hacks, nothing interesting and never anything terribly fast...so had thought of maybe trying one out on him.

I was curious to hear any reviews from anyone who has one, and if so what kind of riding you do in it?

thanks in advance folks x

I love mine! I use it for the lazy days when I would otherwise have gone without a saddle. I don’t use the stirrup rings, as there is no tree to distribute weight. I walk a lot, do very short trotting intervals, canter is supereasy as you have a little thigh support. I use it with a numnah so we can use it on more horses. Nice and warm these months. Worth every penny :)

SEL

Visit site
Sorry to jump on thread. 13h pony recently off box rest after an operation and its a bit hit / miss as to her riding future. She told me in no uncertain terms that her saddle doesn't fit any more when I popped on for 10 mins but I need to get her ticking over just to see how she performs.

I've always liked the look of the Christ lammfelle pads - how stable would they be on a flat backed, no withers pony?

palo1

Visit site
Sorry to jump on thread. 13h pony recently off box rest after an operation and its a bit hit / miss as to her riding future. She told me in no uncertain terms that her saddle doesn't fit any more when I popped on for 10 mins but I need to get her ticking over just to see how she performs.

I've always liked the look of the Christ lammfelle pads - how stable would they be on a flat backed, no withers pony?

Well I have used mine on a young native (Welsh D) who at that point was pretty flat backed with no withers (hence problems finding a leather, treed saddle). It was perfectly stable to ride on though you need a bit of strategy for gettting on. It has a decent girthing arrangement and sits beautifully into the horse. A lovely, lovely thing!! :)

Reactions: SEL

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I have the Iberian one and absolutely love it. I use it on the big horse and the pony and it is very comfortable and secure on both. I've done polework and hacked in it as well as schoolwork and it is much more secure than just bareback. Little fatty pony in particular goes really well in it, probably because she is very green still so being able to properly wrap your leg around her really helps.

On the big lad I use it more for me than him - my position can go a bit wayward on him because of his hulking great shoulder and way of going so it helps me work properly focus on that without going full bareback (he's a tricky ride bareback because you just end up sliding backwards). He goes the same in it as in a 'normal' saddle. I have hacked him out in it a lot.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

My pony has a little wither now, but still not much, and she is very wide through the ribcage as well as croup-high. She goes really well in it and I've never noticed it move at all tbh.

ETA: sharer not me riding, but this is the only picture I have of it on:
Screenshot_2021-01-12-13-52-31-48_20210112135818470.jpg

Last edited:

Pippity

Visit site

Mine's been used on a 17hh Shire, a 15.2hh Anglo-Arab, a 12.2 native, and my own 15hh XXW little-wither cob. It's been stable on all of them.

SEL

Visit site
Mine's been used on a 17hh Shire, a 15.2hh Anglo-Arab, a 12.2 native, and my own 15hh XXW little-wither cob. It's been stable on all of them.

that's good to hear - what size and type did you go for? From reading up I don't have to get the pony size because they don't have the same issues with length on their backs that normal saddles do - is that right?

SEL

Visit site
My pony has a little wither now, but still not much, and she is very wide through the ribcage as well as croup-high. She goes really well in it and I've never noticed it move at all tbh.

ETA: sharer not me riding, but this is the only picture I have of it on:
View attachment 63137

wide through rib cage and croup high is also microcob's build! Both the 16" saddles that have fitted her (apparently) in the past are ending up on her shoulders.

I do like the idea that they can be used on a pony and something with more 'chunk'. I have a stash of saddles which no longer fit any of mine and given they are all in light work I'm not really in the market for yet another if I can find something suitable for hacking which can pop on anything.

Might be getting the credit card out.

SEL

Visit site
Well I have used mine on a young native (Welsh D) who at that point was pretty flat backed with no withers (hence problems finding a leather, treed saddle). It was perfectly stable to ride on though you need a bit of strategy for gettting on. It has a decent girthing arrangement and sits beautifully into the horse. A lovely, lovely thing!! :)

I can't actually get on from the ground now without someone hanging onto the stirrup to stop her saddle rolling so have perfected the art of climbing onto the nearest fence, gate etc and launching myself in the direction of the saddle.....:rolleyes: They do look gorgeous and I would need to make sure it was kept well away from the cat to avoid it becoming her new bed.

Pippity

Visit site
that's good to hear - what size and type did you go for? From reading up I don't have to get the pony size because they don't have the same issues with length on their backs that normal saddles do - is that right?

I went for the Premium Plus, because I wanted the extra support of the knee rolls.

It doesn't matter if they go past the last rib, because they're completely soft and floppy.

palo1

Visit site
I have the premium plus too; really super supportive though I think you could manage well with a bit less if you wanted :)

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I love my Christ Lammfelle pad, I originally got it when I was having saddle fit problems and used it for around 5 months for hacking and flat work. It was used on two cobs, both with a small amount of wither but both x wide in saddle fit, with no stability problems. I always use a breast plate with it. I am now having problems with my hips so find it a bit uncomfortable as it is wider than riding in a saddle.

Hackback

Visit site
I love mine. I took some of the padding out but I really like the thigh rolls - feel so secure. It's cheating to call it bareback really. I don’t use stirrups but feel that I sit better in it than a normal saddle. I use it on cold days and when I'm in a rush (saves having to change into jods and boots).

Someone did mention to me that hacking without proper tack means your insurance is invalidated. It depends whether a bareback pad is considered proper tack I suppose, might be something you want to consider.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I love my Christ Lammfelle pad, I originally got it when I was having saddle fit problems and used it for around 5 months for hacking and flat work. It was used on two cobs, both with a small amount of wither but both x wide in saddle fit, with no stability problems. I always use a breast plate with it. I am now having problems with my hips so find it a bit uncomfortable as it is wider than riding in a saddle.

That is true, if you have a wide horse you do appreciate just how wide they are without a 'proper' saddle on

SEL

Visit site
Someone did mention to me that hacking without proper tack means your insurance is invalidated. It depends whether a bareback pad is considered proper tack I suppose, might be something you want to consider.

? pony is going to need to be bitless because of soft palate issues - that's if she manages ridden work at all - so I'll be stuffed if that's not considered proper tack!

GoldenWillow

Visit site
? pony is going to need to be bitless because of soft palate issues - that's if she manages ridden work at all - so I'll be stuffed if that's not considered proper tack!

When pony was off proper work with breathing issues I started playing around bitless partly to see if it made any difference partly to see what we could learn, both inhand and ridden. I checked with NFU who I am insured with and although it was a slightly woolly answer it seemed to be if the bitless option you were using was classed as a bridle you were ok. An English or German hackamore was definitely classed as a bridle although I use a side pull.

Cragrat

Visit site
Has anyone used one on a sharkfin TB?

My other TB has a fairly flat wither - am I best buying the high wither version to use on both?

poppyblossom

Visit site
Great to read through everyone's thoughts on these pads ? definitely thinking of investing in one if I decide to take the big guy on properly, my one though is how I get on if I have to get off on a hack ?