Christening gifts?!

BallyJ

Visit site
Looking for gift ideas, my 1 year old nephew is being christened in a couple of weeks and I'm a godparent.

What do I buy?! No real budget (within reason!!)

Thought about a really nice wooden Ark but mum bought him one for Christmas.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
These are probably out of fashion now but I have a silver egg cup and spoon set (somewhere) that was a christening present, over 60 yrs ago. Something to keep, with a soet of usefulness

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a set of Beatrix Potter Peter rabbit plates and a silver teddy money box at my parents house which I think are from my christening.

abbijay

Visit site
Depends on your family but we give money to put in savings or premium bonds for Christening presents. They can put it towards a car/first home/horse when they are 18.
I have all my christening gifts in the loft and never get them out or use them.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I gave all my godchildren a Swiss Army Knife - for when they were older!
My children all have one as well and think it's a great thing to have

My brother bought those for our boys on Christmas. Brilliant gift.

I have a box full of Christening tankards, silver spoons, egg cups and bangles. Keep asking the kids if they want to take them now they've grown up, but they never do.

The gifts that have been appreciated most, where the beautifully ornate silver picture frames which now hold photos of their great grandparents taken between 1890 and 1910.
Also have a lovely edition of Treasure Island and a box set of Beatrix Potter books, which have now been read by the grandchildren.

BallyJ

Visit site
I am worried that i'll get him something to sit in a cupboard!

Send him plenty of money for Birthdays/Christmas's as all of my Neices/Nephews are very lucky to have all grandparents and great grandparents! So they are thoroughly spoilt with physical gifts,

I like the idea of a Silver Photo frame, and put a photo of him, my brother and his wife at their wedding this year. Can always get him an outfit/toy along side!

Cowpony

Visit site
We got one of our Godchildren a case of wine which was expected to be at its best when he hit 18. You need advice from a wine merchant, and we paid a small amount each year to have it stored with them, so it was kept in optimum conditions. We bought a couple of extra bottles for his parents so they could taste it at intervals and check that the drinking notes were correct. They were kind enough to open each bottle when we were visiting so we got to taste it too! The idea was that when he hit 18 he could either get it out of storage if he wanted to drink it, or get the wine merchant to auction it for him if he wanted the money.

I can't say it gained hugely in value (but a similar case we bought for our own children did quite nicely!) but it was an interesting and fun investment.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We got one of our Godchildren a case of wine which was expected to be at its best when he hit 18. You need advice from a wine merchant, and we paid a small amount each year to have it stored with them, so it was kept in optimum conditions. We bought a couple of extra bottles for his parents so they could taste it at intervals and check that the drinking notes were correct. They were kind enough to open each bottle when we were visiting so we got to taste it too! The idea was that when he hit 18 he could either get it out of storage if he wanted to drink it, or get the wine merchant to auction it for him if he wanted the money.

I can't say it gained hugely in value (but a similar case we bought for our own children did quite nicely!) but it was an interesting and fun investment.

That's a great gift. On his first birthday our grandson was gifted a very fine bottle of whiskey and a letter, to be opened when he came of age.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm a big fan of a really nice book for chtristening. The sort of thing they can have read to them when they're really little then start to read themselves as they get older - and hold onto into adulthood as it's full of memories. There's a lovely Winnie the Pooh full collection one.

HeyMich

Visit site
You're all coming up with such fab ideas!

my parents are going for the silver tankard so thank you Haymich!

I'm looking at either a nice book or a silver frame. May do both!

Yeay! I've finally said something useful on HHO!!

We bought my godson a pewter tankard for his christening and my OH used to make a really lemonadey shandy in it for him when we went there for important occasions. Now it just gets filled with proper beer...

dogatemysalad

Visit site
An apple tree. I bought one for my friend's son and 35 years later its really big and stands there for all to see and lovely apples to boot.

That's so lovely. On holiday in Lanzarote, I noticed a valley with long lines of Palm trees, which intrigued me so I asked a local why they planted them like that. Apparently, villagers used to plant a palm tree for every new baby.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
A good book of nursery rhymes, or take a look on Etsy at some of the personalised story books. I gave my grand daughter a story book, which had rhymes and short stories with her name scattered through them, and arrived in a lovely presentation box too. Think it was around £25 from memory.

BallyJ

Visit site
A good book of nursery rhymes, or take a look on Etsy at some of the personalised story books. I gave my grand daughter a story book, which had rhymes and short stories with her name scattered through them, and arrived in a lovely presentation box too. Think it was around £25 from memory.

I'm sharing these with the family group chat (not containing the parents!) My SIL and other Brother are going for this one!

Thank you all for your ideas!!

BallyJ

Visit site
An apple tree. I bought one for my friend's son and 35 years later its really big and stands there for all to see and lovely apples to boot.

I Love this one! Unfortunately I don't think their garden is big enough.

Laurac13

Visit site
A local craft shop to me sells little wooden chairs or stools with the child’s name engraved on them with their date of birth there are very cute