Christmas Weekend Plans!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lottie has finished her month off post Aintree, so I got back on board this week. I have missed riding her! She feels fab. Full of beans but sane and obedient. Great to back.

Focus now is:

- Improving her core strength with pole work
- Carrying on with the Joe M foundations work. I want her light, soft and responsive to ever more subtle cues.

Not sure how much I'll ride this weekend, as I have a houseful from tomorrow, but I'll get out on Saturday, and try and squeeze a cheeky one in on Sunday too.

Merry, merry Christmas to those who are celebrating. And I hope those who aren't manage to have a peaceful day, doing whatever feels right, makes you happiest or offers you the best self care. x

j1ffy

Visit site
Work has been winding down steadily this week so we managed a daytime jumping lesson on Tuesday - only our 5th or 6th this year. As ever the focus has been keeping Chilli calm and confident, encouraging him to slow down and think. He seems to be getting the idea!

We’re heading to my dressage trainer’s today for an overnight stay with two lessons, then a yard Christmas SJ comp and hack on Saturday before a few days off for Chilli while I head north to OH’s family for Christmas.

Have a wonderful time everyone!!

humblepie

Visit site
Watching Ascot on Saturday - would go but imagine will be way too busy there although intending to fight the crowds to go to Kempton on Boxing Day given the horses that are due to run. Might manage to sneak a hack early Saturday or late Sunday as those currently looking the best for the weather - it is looking really windy all weekend so will see how it goes.

Have a good one all.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Well I'll be doing a pus dance, really hoping that is why Henry is NQR. Nothing showed up at the vet so abscess seems most likely. Really really hope so.

I'll go for a few rides on Coolie, just gentle walks and Mr 2 said he wanted to ride too so that will happen as well!

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you all have a lovely time, however you spend it!

alexomahony

Visit site
I have an arena hire (SX) booked for Saturday in prep for ACE next weekend, but it's looking like 40mph winds and I need to travel on the motorway so we'll see how the weathe rfairs before deciding on going or not. It owuld be nice to have a pop round before the comp, but won't be the end of the world if not.

Early hack out on Sunday and then some manic Christmas Pressie shopping as I am very unprepared... should have gone last weekend, but Olympia was on TV!

Have the best few weeks everyone - whatever you are doing!

millitiger

Visit site
We hacked today, very lucky he is absolutely bombproof on a loose rein, even in 45mph winds.
This weather is drying the fields up beautifully though!

Jump practice at home tomorrow, then a few days of flatwork and hacking around the Big Day, as I am hosting and cooking this year.
Hoping to add a bit of polish to our half passes

28th we have Howden Way SJ and XC training.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you have a good festive period, whatever you're doing.

SEL

Visit site
Well I did intro A this morning. We bucked & spun and did leaping. I got a clap for staying on. I deserved the clap! Very nice comment from the judge about him needing to listen to me more - yup, I thought that too 🙄

Jumping lesson on Saturday. It's a group and I'm hoping any leaping is actually aimed at the fences.

Feeling my age......

Happy Christmas weekend everyone.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well I did intro A this morning. We bucked & spun and did leaping. I got a clap for staying on. I deserved the clap! Very nice comment from the judge about him needing to listen to me more - yup, I thought that too 🙄

Jumping lesson on Saturday. It's a group and I'm hoping any leaping is actually aimed at the fences.

Feeling my age......

Happy Christmas weekend everyone.

Love this! Well done or competing in a gale!! And good luck for Saturday

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Christmas is already over for me, but I've got a couple of jumping lessons planned on Saturday. One on Enormosaurus, who is a livery at the riding school, her owner is a non-rider but wants her bringing on. I've been approved to ride under my instructor's supervision. We'll see how it goes. With her, it seems I have a good lesson and a bad lessons alternately. Last time was a good lesson... She is a very sensitive mare who needs riding with tact, firmness and as little hands and legs as humanly possible. She has a temper and has scared me before by rearing, but we solved our issues in the same lesson, so I'm willing to keep trying. She certainly makes me have to try harder and ride better. The second lesson will be with Little Madam and I'll see what new craziness I can try this time. Last lesson, I asked if I could jump without my reins, we did a pre-set wide jump. Oxers have been an issue for me and Little Madam on and off and part of the issue is my hands. This forced me to really trust her and let her enjoy herself without me nervously hanging on. I will admit that I did have to give myself a bit of a talking to when the jumps got higher and wider, but she flew them. We both need to relearn to trust each other and have fun. I'm not sure I will start competing again with Little Madam in the new year as I'm planning to try and breed a foal from her, so we may as well have fun.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
No riding plans for me, mostly fatigue related but also need to direct energy elsewhere over Christmas!

Dressage writing last week was good, the judge was particularly nice and keen to answer questions which makes it even more rewarding. I've since been in touch with BD and looking at volunteering for one of the Winter Area Festivals next month.

I've not finished watching the BBC coverage of London International and there's probably some horsey vlogs I can watch to get my horsey fix. I'm missing riding for sure, a good sign I think as with the nerves sometimes I wonder if I really want to do it but when I don't do it I really do want to!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Arrive hotel
Afternoon tea.
Sleep.
4 course banquet.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Walk on the seafront.
Christmas Dinner.
Sleep.
Afternoon tea.
Rest.
Buffet dinner dance.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Crawl up the seafront.
Full lunch.
Panto, oh yes we are!
Four course dinner.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Drive home.

Collapse.

oldie48

Visit site
Well I won't be doing any riding as we are away over Christmas but I'm schooling Mr D tomorrow and I think he'll have a bit of a break until I come home. I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and everything they wish for in 2024.. I love reading what everyone is up to, so keep posting. I may not have much to add but I do enjoy hearing about your journeys and I am still so excited to be going to the Olympics! Is anyone else going to be there for the dressage? xx

humblepie

Visit site
Great first lesson of our two day stay today. Chilli was by far the most relaxed and focused that he’s ever been, a joy to ride! The wind was supposed to have died down by now but it’s still gusting so I guess I’ll be rocked to sleep in my lorry tonight.

That is fabulous. I remember staying overnight in Wales years ago and listening to the wind worrying about driving back over the Severn Bridge. Much less windy today and hope you have equally good lesson.

Cloball

Visit site
The plan was to school today, Christmas livery hack tomorrow and groundwork Sunday but the little darling had caked herself in so much mud it took me an age to groom her 😆 dastardly plan. She was an angel in the wind though so I can't complain too much. Our schooling was even joined by a rabbit and a pheasant. Totally different pony to the spring who decked me because on of the letters clapped in the breeze 😆

Carrottom

Visit site
Arrive hotel
Afternoon tea.
Sleep.
4 course banquet.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Walk on the seafront.
Christmas Dinner.
Sleep.
Afternoon tea.
Rest.
Buffet dinner dance.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Crawl up the seafront.
Full lunch.
Panto, oh yes we are!
Four course dinner.
Sleep.
Full breakfast.
Drive home.

Collapse.
OMG that sounds exhausting, enjoy!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Thursday was a lesson with Joe, BH went brilliantly.

Yesterday was the builder's last day before Xmas, so we were going round tidying up the half finished jobs, I was labouring and also did a tip run. No riding.

Today I've already been swimming in the lake, the workmen are now here to fit the shutters upstairs. It will take until around 4.30pm so it looks like no riding today either. I'm OK with that, up until yesterday, BH had only had 1 day off in the previous 6 weeks or so.

411571292_1394785284724358_7852367596707348041_n.jpg

I must ride tomorrow though as, on Christmas day, we have a boozy pub ride planned!

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Survived and enjoyed the lesson on Enormosaurus this morning. I learned today that she needs to let of steam before she can listen to me. I had been trying to get her concentrated in walk and trot before cantering and it wasn't going too well. It turns out that a few circuits of the arena in canter were what she needed before she could work properly. She had a few strops and dragged me back to the gate once before calmly and firmly insisting that when I say we're going left, we're going left, seemed to get through to her today. She certainly tests my skill and my nerve. My ankles are hurting now and I've still got the lesson with Little Madam to go.
My instructor keeps telling me I shouldn't talk when I ride her, but I've always talked to the horses I ride, in some cases to great effect. He recons pros don't talk to their horses when they ride, I don't know how universally true that is (it seems to me that in horse riding for every example, there is a counter example), but I don't really care, I'm not a pro.

And nice surprise, yesterday night I went to a prize giving for the departmental circuit (basically they add up points over several competitions to find out who wins). I thought it was for dressage with Mr Metronome, but it turns out it was for show jumping with Little Madam, so I now finally have a trophy for Little Madam in my "trophy cabinet" (grand name for a glass fronted cupboard).