chronic liver failure

mavandkaz

Visit site
Back in feb i was given a 20+ yr old shetland (i already have her mum). Since she started losing her winter coat i noticed she is in poor condition with very little coverage. She is also wobbly on her feet. Had bloods taken and they have come back showing liver failure.
What small things can i do to help her? Vet has suggested small but high quality feeds, and a supplement high in B vits and amino acids. Any recommendations?

Cazza525

Visit site
A friends horse had this. Funny turn last august, kind of like a fit and tests revealed liver damage. This also affected her sight. Im sure the vet prescribed some type of potion to put in the feed but i cant remember what it was!

The same mare continued to suffer with her sight until 3 weeks ago when she had another fitting 'episode'. She was put down there and then. She was 15.

I think what im trying to say is that if i were you i would pts sooner rather than later. The liver is an organ that cannot repair itself and liver failure can cause multiple problems. Kindest thing.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Don't worry i won't let her suffer, as soon as she goes downhill the vet will be called. Actually was prepared for it last night as she had stopped eating and looked so dejected, turned out she had food stuck in cheeks and soars on her tongue from sharp teeth, so couldn't eat. Her teeth have now been done and she is much happier. She is very alert and a right character so not time to sat goodbye yet, just want to help her if i can

Misog2000

Visit site
Box of Frogs has given really good advice on previous liver threads, probably worth having a search for some of those. The liver can regenerate itself with the right support, providing it has not been damaged by ragwort, so if she is looking bright and well in herself then don't give up hope yet. My whole yard had liver problems last year, with some of the ponies having stupidly high blood test results and the vets being very concerned. They all recovered bar one who unfortunately got lami as a result of the liver damage. Will keep my fingers crossed for you x

MaHats

Visit site
How very very sad. Are you sure your vet cannot recommend/supply a supplement, most vets do; and a Vit Jab which will help allot. Is it rapid loss of condition? Even if you are only checking her for condition once a week, it would seem quite rapid; except for the fact that her teeth caused her to be unable to eat, so it could be either the liver, the teeth or both which have caused the loss of condition.

Death from Liver failure is horrific; and with such rapid weight loss, and sudden issue with her teeth, I would probably be doing big things to help her as well as small things.

Call a feed company and get their advice regarding feeds with suitable low protein levels, get some Milk thistle maybe, and there are some great supplements, call your vet and ask for a recommendation; because he/she has seen the blood results and therefore has substantially more information.

_HP_

Visit site
Just keep a close eye on her...
I have just lost a 22 yr old mini shetland to liver failure and it was horrid. He was doing well (or so I thought). He was eating well and chirpy but had a few subtle signs (in hindsight) of what was to come. I had only had him 5 months and didn't know his 'normal' character/mannerisms.
I found him one afternoon, jammed into the fencing, roaring and fitting. I called the vet and while he was on his way, the pony recovered and then fitted twice more and eventually died before the vet got there. It was not pleasant and I only hope he was 'not with it' enough to know what was happening. I have never felt so helpless in my entire life. Had he not been at home, God only know's what would have happened as he had no idea where he was and was literally throwing himself at the fencing.
My point being that it is an horrific way to go and I really wish I'd known so I could have saved him that last 20 minutes....
Good luck with your pony x

mavandkaz

Visit site
Thank you every one for your support. I think she has been poor for quite a while, her previous owner never wormed, had teeth done etc and she was in a field full of ragwort for nearly all her life. i have had to rug her several times during cold, wet weather as she shivered, which i now know was from having no fat, unfortunately her large belly threw me for a while. She hasn't lost weight quickly, its just become more apparent since losing her winter coat.
HP - thats my problem, not knowing what is normal for her. Her balance isn't great and she walks with her nose on the floor. I had thought it was because she is blind in one eye and being somewhere new, but now looks like her liver problems. She is kept at home so i can keep an eye on her. Have noticed she likes to stand and snooze with her head almost in the hedge so will keep an eye out for head banging.
However she is in good spirits,vet commented on how quick she was when she went to mob him for treats and i have to keep her separated from my big 16.3 gelding as she bullies him and won't let him in the field shelter and steals his feed!

paulineh

Visit site
Ring Roger Hatch from "Trinity Consultants" number is 01243551766

Website www.trinity-consultants.com.

They do a very good liver tonic called L94. I have a little New Forest mare who had liver problems and we gave her this along with what ever she wanted to eat and she is here today three years after the problem.

Roger will help you

fatpiggy

Visit site
A friends horse had this. Funny turn last august, kind of like a fit and tests revealed liver damage. This also affected her sight. Im sure the vet prescribed some type of potion to put in the feed but i cant remember what it was!

The same mare continued to suffer with her sight until 3 weeks ago when she had another fitting 'episode'. She was put down there and then. She was 15.

I think what im trying to say is that if i were you i would pts sooner rather than later. The liver is an organ that cannot repair itself and liver failure can cause multiple problems. Kindest thing.

Um, actually the liver is the ONLY organ that CAN regenerate itself!

OP I thoroughly recommend Restore from Global Herbs. Use milk thistle as well. You need very high quality food but absolutely low fat - don't add oil or use feed that has it added. Do a search on the the threads here , there is plenty of good sensible and successful advice. Well done for taking on this poor old lady and doing your best to help her.

threeponies

Visit site
I have a 23 year old Shetland with chronic liver failure, he eats Baileys High Fibre Complete cubes, the ones that used to be Badminton. He has haylage not hay and used to have milk thistle and yea sacc but he won't eat those now. You need to be careful not to give any oil, some high fibre cubes have oil added so read labels. No alfalfa at all, you could feed grass nuts or Readigrass though. I have already lost a pony to liver failure my vet couldn't find a cause for it, my pony didn't look or act ill until it was too late.
My wee guy has had a GGT level of 1600+ since last February and he's still full of beans and a good weight.
Good luck with your pony :)