Chunky Labrador breeders?

tatty_v

Visit site
Does anyone know any breeders of chunkier, thick set labradors? We recently lost our dog of a lifetime and if we do decide to have another, we’d like one of a similar stamp and temperament. Our boy’s sire was Naiken Way Out West but he was bred by a friend who isn’t breeding any more and I can’t see that the Naiken stud are breeding any more either.

I’ve added a photo - he was genuinely the kindest soul I think I’ve ever met.
D79AA57A-9582-445D-944A-ED58EBBA22F0.jpeg

Spotherisk

Visit site
Maybe the KC website will have the type you want advertised for sale?

I am sorry you lost your boy, it’s so hard. I hope you don’t mind me saying but I’ve known many people who’ve bought the same type/breed colour etc and then are disappointed that the new dog just isn’t as good as the original, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to choose something a little different. The very best of luck finding the perfect dog.

tatty_v

Visit site
Maybe the KC website will have the type you want advertised for sale?

I am sorry you lost your boy, it’s so hard. I hope you don’t mind me saying but I’ve known many people who’ve bought the same type/breed colour etc and then are disappointed that the new dog just isn’t as good as the original, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to choose something a little different. The very best of luck finding the perfect dog.

Thank you, I’ll have a look on the KC website, dimly hadn’t thought of that! It is something we’ve mulled over as he really was a wonderful dog, but OH has always had labs and has a strong preference for chunky over working. I’ve suggested other breeds for a change but I’m not gaining traction and I do have to admit my heart still melts for a lab…

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Now that is a handsome Lab!
Sorry I can't help with the breeder, ours are working bred, little scuttering things;)

Look for pups bred from showing lines, they will be chunkier.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I am sorry for your loss. Showline is definitely the way forward if you want heavier labs, but don't forget to check hip and elbows scores of parents, and preferably several generations.
I would however agree that it can be a mistake trying to get another just like your lad, he was unique . I have seen sad cases where people have tried to get a carbon copy of their much loved dog and have been disappointed.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have a Sandylands boy, looks very like your lad. We had a Jimjoy a few years ago very similar looking. They are in Shropshire.

Sandilands are gorgeous, or certainly used to be. Our first yellow bitches were Sandilands breeding. If I were you OP, I would look for a yellow Lab for your next one, then you would not be so tempted to compare. Having said that we have had loads of labs, including relatives of previous ones and they have all been different from each other.

Nettle123

Visit site
Our Sandylands boy is the healthiest lab we have ever and and only one bout of kennel cough in 12 years. As far as I know the kennels are still in Warwickshire, not sure if they are still breeding though.

wren123

Visit site
I totally agree about the chunky labs! We've always had show labs but they are all completely different.
Our current bitch has quite a chunky face, my mum always said she looked like a boy. Our two labs have had sandylands in their pedigrees.

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
If you want to get specific on the champdogs site I mentioned you can select show, gender, and colour. I think there are about 15 show litters on there right now, around 100 working litters, although some are classed as dual purpose which I don't really like but that's just my personal opinion.