Claiming back mis-sold PPI....

welsh1704

Visit site
Yes just got five grand back. Ring up you loan company and ask them what to do. I just had to log a complaint over the phone four weeks later i had a cheque. I had ppi on my mortgage. Do not go through a company do it yourself xxxx

SS.89

Visit site
Please DO NOT go through a private company as they charge you a fee which is non refundable, I've seen in some instances this to be just under £700 !! Working for a bank I see cases of it every day where we have no way of getting that charge back. But your bank or loan company are the ones to go to :) as previous poster stated they just need to log it as a complaint and they investigate it.

SS x

biccie1

Visit site
I could type a very long reply, but it's a lot easier if I just give you the link!

http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

All details are on there. You do not need a claims management company (if you win they will take a percentage of your redress and research shows it does not increase your chances of winning, whatever they say). Go directly to your credit provider, and if no joy you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Make your complaint personal to you. Standard letters from websites are a good starting point but don't leave in complaint points that are irrelevant (such as referring to a loan when you had PPI on a credit card) as it makes the complaint handler wonder what else you have said is incorrect.

Last edited:

Fidgety

Visit site
Both hubby and I did (two different banks).

Hubby's wrote to him admitting that they'd 'probably' mis-sold PPI and for him to fill in the forms and send them back, and for mine I simply went onto the banks own website, followed the links, downloaded the forms and sent them off. All relatively straight forwards and painless and no more difficult than applying for the loan in the first place :cool:. Don't use a claims company, they will take around 25% of whatever your claim is for doing nothing more than you're capable of doing yourself.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I'm waiting for mine, I rung Lloyds up and they are dealing with it.
I spoke to a " no win no fee" but they take around 30% fee plus be careful as if you have a current loan and they get the ppi taken off it which they will.... You will get a bill for the % off ppi that they have saved you. Def go through who u took the loan out with

cathy rd

Visit site
Yes! got £3,000 after just 1 letter and form filled in; double what the mis-sold insurance cost me.

Use the Money Saving Expert.com template - they are brilliant.

Avoid crappy claims companies, you don't need 'em!

Good luck!

jellybean55

Visit site
I got back just under 5k. Wasn't even going to bother because I thought it would be too much hassle but glad I did!

I just printed off the online form through Lloyds website, said I was told I couldn't take a loan without PPI, received a letter saying it would take 12 weeks to look into. Once I had confirmation of what I was owed, the money was put into my account within about 3 weeks :D just in time to buy a new kitchen in the sales :D

As others have said, make sure you go directly to whoever sold you the product, don't go through a 3rd party!

birchave0

Visit site
the 6 year rule relates to when you discovered you had reason to complain, i.e realised the the insurance had been miss sold, nothing to do with the age of the policy/loan/credit card

I've had PPI refunded on more than 5 occasions in the last 4 years, on both loans and credit cards.
As others have said do it yourself, DO NOT employ any kind of claims company!
However it is not always simple, it took over 3 years to get 3k back from lloyds TSB.......
Good luck and if you need any help just drop me a PM ;)

mulledwhine

Visit site
Yep just got £8000, went into my bank they gave me the number , rang it, they did every thing else, 6 weeks later the money was in my account.

Don't go through ppi companies, it takes minutes to do it yourself .

Good luck

Hippona

Visit site
Just had an offer back...

Went directly to the bank...didn't have all the details of old loans etc so they gave me an address to write to to get the info ( free) and once I had that I sent in the form from the bank web-site.

Its only been 6 weeks from sending the stuff off to getting my letter - I have to sign and send it back and apparantly it just arrives in my current account.

ROG

Visit site
Anyone done it? Successfully? How?

F :)
Got forms off internet to send to banks to get details as we had none - shredded after loans paid off
Sent forms to banks to obtain account numbers and loan details
Used different forms off internet to apply for PPI repayment
Deleted non relevent parts of form befor sending as the forms give various options
Banks paid back all PPI within 6 weeks
cost = a few stamps

Fairytale

Visit site
Golly, great response, thanks folks!

Actually did go onto the bank website, found the question, found the form from the Ombudsman, filled it in and sent it off!

Now lets wait and see eh?! This could be next winter's haylage all being well ;)

F

Skyebald

Visit site
Natwest for me. Its a substantial amount....and some of the policies went back to 1996 so I'm well impressed actually.

That has given me some hope, I'm with Natwest and I know I took out a loan and they made me take the PPI or wouldn't allow me to have the loan but goes way back to 1993 cos I remember it was for my first ever brand new L reg car !!! Might give it a go and see what happens :p

tinap

Visit site
Yes just got £3600 back off a Lloyds tsb credit card. I just rang Lloyds ppi cclaim number, gave them my card number & they did the rest. In my bank account in 10 weeks :D

Red30563

Visit site
We've been battling for about 2 years to reclaim PPI that was missold on a business loan. We started out following the procedure with the help of template letters from Money Saving Expert site.

The only response we've had is the bank saying that they have no record of us! We have sent them the proof - the letters from the time we took the loan out, the loan agreement etc - time and again.

The case is now with the Ombudsman - but all we have had from them over the last 6 months are letters saying they are overwhelmed with cases and that it will take some time to get to ours.

We reckon we are owed about £2000 and it's money my company could really do with right now!

monte1

Visit site
Hi there , I have been reading this thread with interest, so, a quick , rather numpty question, what if I don't know or can't remember if i ever had a loan, credit card etc with PPI attached , is there some way I can try and trace records, i.e from my name and address etc ?

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Hi there , I have been reading this thread with interest, so, a quick , rather numpty question, what if I don't know or can't remember if i ever had a loan, credit card etc with PPI attached , is there some way I can try and trace records, i.e from my name and address etc ?

You can sign up with credit expert and they have details of all credit agreements (loans, cc's etc) for the past 6 years. I think they do a free trial, but you need to give them card details when you sign up- so long as you remember to cancel, you won't have to pay!