Class C license & lorry pro's/con's WWYD

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Bit of a long one I'm afraid!

I've got my B&E & just sold my trailer. Torn between a new bigger trailer (youngster has turned out bigger than planned!) or a lorry of some description - I won't be bothering this year as everything is still wishy washy but will be looking next spring.
I do a silly amount of mileage for work so have been meeting in the middle with my tow car being a Sorento - decent pulling power, maybe not as much as I'd like, but it does decent MPG. Size of my boy plus a buddy would still be legal with it, but I don't think I'd be comfortable towing that weight regardless of whats on paper. I had a Touareg for a bit which was amazing but it bled me dry as it whatever I have has to be my daily driver too! :oops:

So, looking at lorries. 3.5T all have too small a payload so I've seen 4T upwards at a fraction of the cost, presumably as people don't want to the the cat C test? So I'm trying to weight up the cost of doing my cat C or buying a bigger engined towing vehicle & swallowing the cost of the MPG - whether it would be less to do that than your average lorry maintenance. Is running a lorry really the financial suicide I read about with the plating etc? Whats the yearly bill tend to be on average? If I get a lorry we'll be out regularly so it wont be sat around much.

I will add that both my boys load a lot happier into smaller lorry with the wide ramp than a trailer -and to be honest I think I'd be happier not towing as over time I've got less happy about it.

Thanks! :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If you are going to do your lorry licence then I would suggest you do your class two as its the same price but you can drive up to 36tonn rigid. Even if you don't get a bigger truck than 7.5t you will have the licence to drive bigger. Plus depending on how much your horses weight even some 7.5t with living are not suitable for decent sized horses.

As for running a lorry it depends on what you buy.

Always take a truck mechanic with you to look it over. If its running qhne you get there turn around and walk away.

Tilt cabs are best as it's easier for the mechanic to work on etc.

Again it depends on the box on the amount of work each year to get it's through its plating. Putting money aside each month into a "truck account" would be my advice.

There are new rule son tires now, I can't remember fully but no tires older than ten years on the fronts allowed.

Moving it regularly even if you don't compete every weekend is advised other wise they can get stuck.

It is a lot more expensive than a trailer but with the right mechanic it should be fine.

zaminda

Visit site
Lorries aren't a cheap hobby, and do cost a fair bit when things go wrong. My friend budgets about 2k a year I think. The other option is a 4x4 for towing and a smaller every day car.
That said, a lorry is cheaper to tax and insure than many 4x4's.
I personally prefer driving a lorry.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Oooh good advice thank you! Definitely planning on doing my C instead of C1 to get the bigger truck allowance, once the guy explained it was exactly the same bar doing the test in a longer truck & not a load of extra things!

Would definitely get a mechanic & want a tilt cab if I end up getting a big one.

I looked into a 4x4 & smaller car, but then I think with the two lots of insurance, tax & servicing, plus trailer insurance & servicing along with lack of parking by my house, I think I have to keep it to one or the other :( I think I'd feel safer in a lorry too.

I've seen 4T Equitreks around which look good with the bigger payload but heard bad things. Half wondering if a smaller one with an uprated payload maybe the way to go to keep costs down.

Thank you for all your help so far!

zaminda

Visit site
I would actually go a bit bigger but non hgv, the payload is handy and frankly 4t is nothing.
Its been very handy having a lorry licence, I got mine through a horsey job, and now drive one for a living!
I first had a little lorry at 19, and it was cheaper to insure than my car!

suestowford

Visit site
I've done the lorry & small car for every day before now and it was quite expensive. But it was a very old lorry so kept failing the MOT on all sorts of things. It was lovely to drive though, easier than towing a trailer.
Have also had towing car & trailer and that was not without its problems as the towing car went wrong quite a lot too!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
That's true with the payload, its actually surprised me looking how rubbish some big lorries are! I only want storage, seats & a table with a microwave being a bonus haha! No full on cooker, fridge, toilet or shower!

Yes that's what I was worrying about, running a few different vehicles all adding up pretty quickly. I think its either going to be a large engine car to tow burning through fuel or a lorry costing maintenance - its just choosing which!

The prices on some of the 3.5 tonnes make the 7.5 tonnes look like a bargain even with the price of doing the test! :oops:

Jango

Visit site
If you do the C1 test it's in an ambulance type van. If you are never going to work with horses or drive trucks for a living the C1 is definitely easier to pass! With 7.5t lorries it's not the purchase price it's the maintenance that costs a fortune. Unless you have 50k plus to buy a newer one, like a previous poster said you're looking at around 1-2k each year to keep it on the road. Insurance and tax isn't too bad though. Just to add I love my 7.5t lorry, but they are money pits!