Classic Riding Academy Goodwood

pistolpete

Visit site
I had my first lesson here on Thursday and wow what a fab place. Gorgeous well trained horses and an indoor school with a great surface. Fabulous instruction.
I’m trying to get my riding fix as my pony is now retired and can’t face getting another at the moment. I had a lesson at a local school last week which I won’t name and it was awful. Just came away feeling sorry for the horse and with aching legs!
would like to do a decent hack sometime too. There’s Studland bay and the New Forest nearish but would love something a little closer.

Runaground

Visit site
Me too. Been going since lockdown one for the same reason (between horses) it's so worth the commute. It's lovely to be able to concentrate on myself after years of youngster riding and rehabbing. it's a pleasure to ride well educated classically trained horses with an enlightened and skilled instructor who is invested in your progress. A million miles from being a riding school that's for sure!

Reacher

Visit site
It sounds fabulous, I’m a bit jealous of those of you who live fairly close to venues like this!

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I live about 20 minutes away from here but have never heard of it! Perhaps I will have to investigate at some point.. well, at that price once my vet bills are paid in full! :p

Spanny

Visit site
It looks great - I'd be there like a shot if I was still in that part of the country. Does anyone know of anywhere similar closer to Bristol?? I've been a bit lost for schoolmaster lessons since Sam T sold up.

TheProdigal

Visit site
For years, I have quietly questioned much of the training I've been given. I too had a lesson at Goodwood this week and it all made complete sense. The early instruction most people get re. the aids is absolutely right - reins to stop, legs to go - is bang on, but obvs in a much more refined way, including weight and breathing aids. Usually I can't walk after a lesson, but after this one I felt no ill effects. These days many people do seem to be told to use their legs and hands in quite the wrong way. So much benign abuse, and I'm sure I've been just as guilty as the next person.

I was directed here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twisted-Truths-Modern-Dressage-alternative-ebook/dp/B007Y8EWHI

https://www.philippe-karl.com

gunnergundog

Visit site
Is this still run by the Lassetters? If so, has been the one place in this country worth visiting for decades. I first discovered it c 1978 when the dressage world champs were run there and Jennie L-C got the bronze.

Runaground

Visit site
For years, I have quietly questioned much of the training I've been given. I too had a lesson at Goodwood this week and it all made complete sense. The early instruction most people get re. the aids is absolutely right - reins to stop, legs to go - is bang on, but obvs in a much more refined way, including weight and breathing aids. Usually I can't walk after a lesson, but after this one I felt no ill effects. These days many people do seem to be told to use their legs and hands in quite the wrong way. So much benign abuse, and I'm sure I've been just as guilty as the next person.

I was directed here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twisted-Truths-Modern-Dressage-alternative-ebook/dp/B007Y8EWHI

https://www.philippe-karl.com
I agree instruction (both independent and in schools) is very often poor. The refining you talk of, will show that it's SEAT, SEAT, SEAT and not legs to go and reins to stop. Obviously leg is important, can add impulsion, give aids etc, but, the rein allows connection and will give you flexion but not "to stop". More and more will come from the seat as the learning journey continues. Beware it becomes an addiction!

teapot

Visit site
Is this still run by the Lassetters? If so, has been the one place in this country worth visiting for decades. I first discovered it c 1978 when the dressage world champs were run there and Jennie L-C got the bronze.

No, completely different set up and management with John occasionally teaching, and entirely seperate to the Goodwood Estate too. Char is still based locally.

Oh if only dressage in front of the house took precadence once again over their preferred horse power...

Last edited: