Clay soils

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We’ve nearly made of through winter on clay - thank goodness for the hard standing. Now i’m wondering how to repair the poached bits.

If you roll clay does it make it worse? Will harrowing help? We have a quad so I’m thinking about what to buy - a chain harrow and / or a water filled roller.

We have lots of moles, I’m thinking this is a good thing on clay to help drainage. Is this right? We just kick over the mole hills.

The grass was more like standing hay in one field, and some of it is trampled down - do I top it now? I’ve got a strimmer so could do a bit at a time.

Any advice greatly appreciated :).

Goldenstar

Visit site
I chain Harrow then roll with clay the time you do it is vital to wet horrible mess to dry it won’t flatten .
I would top the fallen grass it will be a pain to do .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm on "Red" Devon clay here...... ohhhh the joys! Two coloured horses, and their white bits aren't white, they're pink! Plus manes and tales. Total nightmare.

The problem with clay is that one day its a sodden gooey mass; the next day it'll be hard and ridged-up, so as above poster says, your timing will be crucial.

Here, in the Spring, I have a blokey who comes in and harrows then rolls the paddocks, which leaves it looking lovely!

Sheep are fantastic for rejuvenating clay soils as they tread down all the ridgey/muddy bits and even it all out, then chomp away and keep the Spring grass at manageable level. I've got a farmer who puts their sheep on my land periodically - an ideal solution as I don't then get to worry about the sheep's husbandry (other than putting one back on its feet if it gets stuck on its back). Perhaps this is a solution that might work for you?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've been keeping horses on heavy clay for rather too long now and - believe me - there is NO easy answer. I celebrate when I see a mole hill. I use a root rake to break it up a bit when it sets solid in dry weather, and then the harrows - then re-seed the bad bits (by hand) then roll. Well, that's the aim. Of course, getting the right equipment working at the right time is the key - the weather rarely plays ball! Definitely sheep at the right time if you can find some. And loads of muck!! And - of course - check the pH of the soil.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I had my fields harrowed (we are clay) with a tine harrow and it left lots of fist sized mud balls everywhere ... rain came and pooffff they all exploded and went over the ground beautifully, I was so impressed. Im a bit against rolling, especially on clay as you are compacting the soil and compacting the grass roots .. both of which arent particularly healthy BUT my neighbour harrows and rolls her fields and they look so smart and always seem to grow well but maybe she fertilises as well?

vickie123

Visit site
I have my fields harrowed and rolled each year and I’m on clay with horses out 24/7. I also seed the bare patches. With this winter being so mild I’ve used our little water filled roller this week. The fields always come good by late Spring whatever winter throws at us. I just have to remember that when the horses are whizzing round the field in winter driving me nuts. I have sheep on the winter paddock from late April to August.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
we harrow and often it doesn't need rolling after but timing is definitely crucial.

The good thing about clay is the grass always seems to come back well regardless.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We're on heavy clay in the Potteries. One of the bonuses of being on livery on a working farm, is that the farmer is very experienced in managing grazing on clay and has the equipment to keep it. Timing, as Ester says is crucial. It gets narrowed and rolled and comes back after each winter.

whiteflower

Visit site
Liming will likely help as clay is broken up by lime but agree timing is crucial

Just make sure you check the ph before adding lime. We are on clay and the soil is slightly alkaline so liming it would not be a good idea.

We harrow with a small tractor and heavy duty framed metal chain harrows. This allows us to not need to roll as the roll compacts the already compacted ground further. We also use a aerator to try and help decompact the land

oldie48

Visit site
I'm also on heavy gray clay but lucky enough to have plenty of grazing so horses go into a 7 acre field for the winter, come out in the spring and I rotate them between 2 smaller paddocks taking a cut of haylage off the big field in the summer. I get the big field harrowed and if needed also rolled and yes timing is crucial as it sets rock hard very quickly. A local farmer does it for me. What I find really helps is having well stoned gateways, it keep the horses away from the gates and there's little to eat there and stops them getting poached. Buttercups are a real pain, so I usually get the paddocks sprayed about every two years. I also get sheep put in the big field from time to time depending on the amount of grass etc and they are great at cleaning the grazing up.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I would avoid rolling, it compacts the air out and inhibits grass growth. I'm a sheep fan if you can borrow some or if not see if your local farmer has Cambridge rolls they have a similar effect but don't do so much damage.

gina2201

Visit site
Were on clay here in Cornwall - I tend to only roll the gateway areas and properly poached bits and not the whole field, just harrowing the rest of the field evens it out pretty well, they don't get too churned up as a whole, but as above timing crucial as i refuse to let the tractor go in whilst still too soft otherwise will churn up the field, but equally can't be too hard! Where we have rolled grass has grown back fine.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Any advice on the right timing? I assuming when the ground is soft - but not wet, if that makes sense?

We have two sheep that belong to the person who used to have the field.

It sounds like I should invest in a Harrow but no roller. The fields look ok other than gateways. How often should you Harrow? (I am a very novice field owner!!)

We do have a lovely local farmer who delivers our hay and will do jobs if we need anything. So if there’s other things I should do I can ask them to help :).