Clean and cheap bedding?

Passionflower

Visit site
My mare is on straw at the moment but she is really messy and I have to take out alllll of her bedding every night. I want something cheap but also warm for the winter and that's why I liked straw! But it is just hard work now using a whole bale then taking it out the next day! Does anyone have any suggestions? :) thanks!

xTrooperx

Visit site
I used straw and swapped to shaving, and found it so much cleaner and easier to clean, but I have noticed if I do a small/shallow bed I have to do full clean but a deep/big bed it doesn't get as messy, very weird.
I've heard good comment about pellets, though I've never used them.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Make the straw bed deeper. Kal is on straw and I've found that if the bed is not established/is too shallow it's nasty and I have to remove far too much, but once it's established and plenty deep enough (at least a foot deep) then it woks really well (and trust me, I'm a tad OCD about ammonia smells and stable stains).

Hope this helps.

P

You Wont Forget Me

Visit site
I've heard good comment about pellets, though I've never used them.

If your horse is really that messy i wouldnt advice using pellets, i changed to pellets after hearing all the good comments but i was spending so much more money on them than i was on shavings and they are disgusting if you have a wet horse like really disgusting!
I would say stick to straw or shavings although unless you can get shavings from a local saw mill i dont think it will be cheaper

SNORKEY

Visit site
My mums mare was very wet and messy on straw so she swapped her to shavings with a layer or that comfy bed small wood chip stuff underneath. She was a lot cleaner and easy to manage.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Our beds have no less than the equivalent of 25small straw bales in, if they are deep enough they can't stir all the crap around so much imo.

L&M

Visit site
I have recently swopped to cardboard (Future Animal Bedding), mainly as horse has mild wind issues.

I have been very impressed with it - I have rubber mats and put down approx 1 bale in a corner for the horse to toilet on. It is absorbent and totally dust free.

As my chap is a clean boy so can't say how clean a bed it is, but at under £5 a bale bought in bulk, I find it far cheaper than shavings.

I top up the bed with 1/2 a bale twice a week