Cleaning box out when you change yards?

rachk89

Visit site
I would clean out and disinfect. I couldn't disinfect when i left my last yard though as it was freezing cold and i would have created an ice rink. Not worth it. But otherwise i would.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO and I well remember one livery who left, having deep littered her loosebox......... and "promised" faithfully to return and sort it.

She didn't. So I rang her to remind her that this hadn't been done. So she came - and halfheartedly cleaned out about half of it, and I never saw her again.

Yours Truly was left with the rest of it to deal with :(

Damnation

Visit site
Always leave clean and tidy.

I've never had the pleasure of full livery, always been on DIY. I don't disinfect (some yards can be funny about that) but all bedding is removed and stable is swept and cleaned out. Matting removed and cleaned and put back in if requested.

Srea's where my stuff was is always left tidy and swept out. As much as we leave yards for various reasons, one day you may have to return, so I like to leave on good terms.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Thankfully only ever done one yard move and the place we left we left spotless and disinfected. Actually paid another weeks livery as it was 5 horses on semi-deep littered beds and my sister and I didn't think we would have time to move 5 horse + all the stuff + leave it as we should in one weekend. We were right, it was a huge undertaking and we only went a mile up the road!. :)

Where we moved into had over a foot of deep litter on top of a dirt base and a 'walkway' out the front of the 5 boxes, also a foot deep. It was an utter nightmare, took months to clear it out of all the boxes (thankfully horses out 24/7!). Worst thing was the livery that left it all was still on the yard... :(

ossy

Visit site
I've always been on full so no I don't do anything to the stable. If I was on DIY I think it would depend how I got the stable in the first place.

dibbin

Visit site
I'd always clean out. I left the clean bedding at my last place (YO asked me to), but removed my mats and gave the stable a thorough clean and sweep out.

I'll do the same when we're leaving our current yard.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I went back on the same day to clear out my box,my yard owner was already doing it as she had someone moving in later that day and needed the stable! I did feel bad that I didn't do it but atleast the thought was there.

Annagain

Visit site
At our yard, the rule is you leave it empty and swept out and remove anything you put in there, like haybars. YO then disinfects and repaints before another livery moves in. I've always cleared out stables when I've left, but not always found them cleared out.

When my old boy died (in his stable), YO texted me a day or so later and asked if I wanted to deal with it or if I wanted her to. I remember her asking, but can't remember what happened. I thought it was nice of her to check as different people will want to do different things in that situation.

CBFan

Visit site
I always muck out and sweep out thoroughly, sometimes sloshing the box out with a bucket or two of disinfectant and generally I will wash out the box I am moving into as most people don't bother...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd always leave a stable clean. If I moved onto a yard to find a filthy box waiting for me I'd be inclined to turn round and go elsewhere as I'd expect their standards to be bad in other areas.

zaminda

Visit site
What I have done has varied over the years. I used to take my pony home for the holidays, and most of the yards moved me into a stable with a bed in, and wanted it left just mucked out with the bed up which was fine. One yard I went to the deep litter was over a foot deep, and disgusting. When I have been a more permanent livery, I have left it empty, and cleaned out, bar when yard owner turned into a loon, on which occasion I left pronto!

Potter84

Visit site
Well the first yard I left because the stable kept flooding and the yard owner wouldn't even acknowledge request to fix the leaks so one day I tacked up for a hack and left.

Didn't even bother mucking out or tidying anything up 😂

charlie76

Visit site
I have a yard, none of my liveries that have left, with the exception of one I think, have even mucked out the box when they left let alone cleared it out and disinfected!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I have a yard, none of my liveries that have left, with the exception of one I think, have even mucked out the box when they left let alone cleared it out and disinfected!

Maybe youre one of "those" yard owners that people Have felt the need to do a flit from?

pansymouse

Visit site
I have a simple rule in life which is leave things as I would expect to find them and in the case of stables that's spotless and smelling of Jays Fluid. As I'm a neat freak and love the smell of Jays Fluid this no hardship for me at all. Incidentally I've never actually taken on a stable in this condition but I have a clear (and disinfected) conscience. I've found I usually have to muck out my new stable and dispose of random rubbished dumped in it :(

mytwofriends

Visit site
I moved to a yard once where the YO helpfully said she'd personally prepared my new stable for me, so my horse would be able move right in. Friendly, I thought. Upon looking and having a quick prod through the banks, I found boatloads of saturated bedding (gone red, so super wet.) Nice.

Things didn't improve much, I have to say, and I've chalked that yard up to a bad experience.