Cleaning rusty horseshoes

Kaylum

Visit site
Thanks both i dont have access to a farrier as i dont have a horse at the moment but good suggestion thanks. I will try the coke x

scrat

Visit site
I just use wire brush and poke any compacted mud out of the holes with an old screwdriver. Paint with Hammerite, at least two coats, which is available in loads of colours. Make sure you get the paint to fully cover including nail holes otherwise the rust will appear again.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I have a little clamp that holds my electric drill to a workbench (or table top); with the drill held like that, I put a rotary wire brush in the chuck, set the drill running, and hold the horseshoe against the wire brush.

You need to be wearing eye protection and old clothes for this, as it sends quite a bit of debris flying around. You'll probably want to wear leather gardening gloves, too; if you touch the brush with your skin, it will sting. Quite a lot.

The friction will also warm up the shoe, driving off any moisture.

I don't paint the shoes, but wipe them over with Renaissance Wax; it's expensive stuff, but a little pot goes a long way. There are now other micro-crystalline waxes available (this, for example) that I only learnt about tonight.