Cleaning sarcoid scabs

humblepie

Visit site
Horse has had sarcoids lasered. Obviously following vets advice and keeping in touch with photos etc. Haven't been touching them other than cream but now scabbing up vet has said to ensure kept clean. Anyone have practical experience of management two weeks on from surgery? Thanks.

live2ride

Visit site
I was told to not mess with the scabs and leave them well alone after having multiple sarcoids lasered off, if really had to clean (which I never needed to) lightly hose with water.

As every time you touch them you will interfere with the scabbing process. Have had 5 lasered off, some in quite awkward positions and all of them I just left alone. One on the wither got particularly dirty as every time he rolled, it was in the mud. all healed perfectly.

Marigold4

Visit site
I taped a dressing over my horse's lasered sarcoid at night so that it didn't get bedding in it. It just about lasted the night without falling off and did a good job of protecting it. Other than that I didn't clean at all, just rubbed off the scabs when they were loose enough. The wound scabbed over several times before it was healed - I think it took a month before the scabbing stopped. Looked horrible but no infection or complications.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was told to not mess with the scabs and leave them well alone after having multiple sarcoids lasered off, if really had to clean (which I never needed to) lightly hose with water.

As every time you touch them you will interfere with the scabbing process. Have had 5 lasered off, some in quite awkward positions and all of them I just left alone. One on the wither got particularly dirty as every time he rolled, it was in the mud. all healed perfectly.

Thats why I suggested a very small syringe of warm water I would never suggest anything more.

humblepie

Visit site
Thanks all. Have been leaving very much alone and useful to have others experiences. Vet has said sudocrem on the harder scabs.