Cleaning tack

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
What do people use for cleaning leather? My tack has been cleaned (not by me) but has a sticky residue on it now, really horrible to touch. No idea what it is, but I'd like to get it off. Any recommendations?

Procrastination

Visit site
Probably not 'correct' but to clean I use hot water with fairy liquid in! To condition I either use Ko-cho-line or oakfield conditioner. Both work well for me 😊

JillA

Visit site
Probably not 'correct' but to clean I use hot water with fairy liquid in! To condition I either use Ko-cho-line or oakfield conditioner. Both work well for me ��

Me too, with or without the detergent and the water not too hot - it's the only way I have found to get my plaited reins clean of grease. But you do need a really good conditioner to replace the natural oils which keep the leather soft.

honetpot

Visit site
Water as hot as your hands can bare, and a micro fibre cloth, it will also strip the grease out of your hands. If it was floppy to start with too much grease, air dry and then use a good quality saddle soap. If its grease on hard leather, as it dries keep rubbing in saddle soap or dry and use something like Stubben leather cream.

Kylara

Visit site
Hot water. With mild detergent if really bad (but rinse off obviously). Then a good conditioner. I clean with a leather cream from rapide which cleans and conditions. I also have their leather cream for serious reconditioning and their leather oil. It's amazing stuff. Glycerine isn't good and makes things sticky and rots stitching.

First Flame

Visit site
I too hate sticky tack...rinse with hot water, good scrub and I use Flexalan oil to help soften after. On a day to day I rinse the dirty bits (normally the noseband straps) in warm water and wipe the rest clean and then use Horsemans one step. Once a week to 10 days I then fully wash and oil. Clean lovely pliable leather= happy me, lol.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I wipe over with warm water that has a splash of antiseptic in it and then use Belvoir tack cleaner but to be honest that can leave it slightly sticky? When I find my oil balm I will give everything a good clean with that once a month or something.

I'm only riding weekends at the moment so tack is being kept as home .. its never been so clean, lol!

pansymouse

Visit site
Belvoir tack cleaner contains glycerine that's why your tack is getting sticky.

Glycerine is sugar so I have no idea why it was deemed appropriate to clean leather with. I have licked a bar of Belvoir and it actually tastes sweet (curiosity got the better of me!)

I do a lot of tack renovation and repairs and my go to cleaning product is Wilf Whites saddle soap which is glycerine free and also acts as a conditioner.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Belvoir tack cleaner contains glycerine that's why your tack is getting sticky.

Glycerine is sugar so I have no idea why it was deemed appropriate to clean leather with. I have licked a bar of Belvoir and it actually tastes sweet (curiosity got the better of me!)

I do a lot of tack renovation and repairs and my go to cleaning product is Wilf Whites saddle soap which is glycerine free and also acts as a conditioner.

Lol, thanks for sharing. You know what curiosity also did don't you? ;)