Cleaning up my stables inside

Marigold4

Visit site
This summer I want to do up the inside of my stables as they are not looking good. It's a sort of American barn set up which we created out of some old outbuildings. The internal walls are made of very thick marine ply on to strong studwork. The fronts and partitions are standard wooden slats fitted into a wooden frame with bars above. All the woodwork needs something doing to it. The horses have poo-ed down the walls, thrown feed around etc and it just generally looks horrible. How do I clean it up? Can I pressure hose it? I did think of putting some kind of finish on the wood to make it look smart but it would obviously have to be something non-toxic.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
Pressure hose, allow to dry thoroughly, and blast some cheap white emulsion paint around. You can smarten up the bars with Hammerite or something similar. I have gone over the wooden partition with left over white masonry paint after doing the stable walls, and it does make everything look clean.

Asha

Visit site
i use a bucket of hot water some disinfectant and a brush. Did all mine last week. Takes a bit of elbow grease but at least the place doesnt get soaked.

As for painting ply, id go with a paint thats used on hoarding. Johnstones opaque is good for that, weve had lots of positive feedback on that product. Plus you can get it in many different colours and it comes in water or solvent based,

Ive never used the water based product, as im generally not a fan of water based paint. My wooden partitions have been painted with sikkens, which had made them look really smart, and they have stood up against poo/wee / damp etc, but wouldnt use it on ply

Marigold4

Visit site
i use a bucket of hot water some disinfectant and a brush. Did all mine last week. Takes a bit of elbow grease but at least the place doesnt get soaked.

As for painting ply, id go with a paint thats used on hoarding. Johnstones opaque is good for that, weve had lots of positive feedback on that product. Plus you can get it in many different colours and it comes in water or solvent based,

Ive never used the water based product, as im generally not a fan of water based paint. My wooden partitions have been painted with sikkens, which had made them look really smart, and they have stood up against poo/wee / damp etc, but wouldnt use it on ply
Thank you. That's really useful info on the painting. I'll look into that.