Cleaning water containers?

chaps89

Visit site
We have 3 plastic water containers on our yard (like the ones you use in a caravan) but the inside of all of them are really skanky and full of green algae, I've tried using the hose & 'jetting' the inside but it doesn't work & I just ended up with green bits floating at the bottom that wouldn't come out.
I've had a google but just get info on clearning water bottles by cyclists, not terribly helpful ;)
Any ideas as to how to get the inside of the containers cleaned up a bit, in a way that is safe to the horses after?

Chavhorse

Visit site
We have 3 plastic water containers on our yard (like the ones you use in a caravan) but the inside of all of them are really skanky and full of green algae, I've tried using the hose & 'jetting' the inside but it doesn't work & I just ended up with green bits floating at the bottom that wouldn't come out.
I've had a google but just get info on clearning water bottles by cyclists, not terribly helpful ;)
Any ideas as to how to get the inside of the containers cleaned up a bit, in a way that is safe to the horses after?

Baby milton fluid

Oliver12

Visit site
I'm sure the horses won't mind a bit of green slime. I'd rather them have that than the taste of Milton sterilising fluid.

bouncingbean

Visit site
I had this problem recently, wanted it clean asap but was worried about what to use in regards to being safe for horses so in the end got a dustpan brush and attached it to a stick to scrub out the inside. Not 100% perfect but much better than before :eek: :D

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Bleach (Milton is just very dilute bleach), and put some gravel in the container, swoosh it about for about 5 mins then rinse out very thoroughly. Also drain fully (upside down) and let it dry between uses, that'll kill the algae.

indie999

Visit site
Bleach (Milton is just very dilute bleach), and put some gravel in the container, swoosh it about for about 5 mins then rinse out very thoroughly. Also drain fully (upside down) and let it dry between uses, that'll kill the algae.

Agree with above too,I jet wash them or just a normal hose at pressure and then household bleach diluted first so it doesnt leave a clump of gel. I usually leave the containers soaking over night. Then give them a really good old rinse and house out again. When they are empty I make sure they are fully dry and stick the lid on to keep airtight.

I have had my 8 x 25 litres ones for a few years now

Britestar

Visit site
I use Steradent. Leave a couple of tabs in the container filled with water. Ponies like the minty ones!Must leave a taste in the plastic even after rinsing.

WelshD

Visit site
Milton, a couple of litres of water plus half a pound of dry rice and give it all a big shake

(if you cant get all of the rice back out please dont sue me!)

Pasture Mix

Visit site
Pop a bit of water & some smallish pebbles in the containers, then swirl & shake them around.. The pebbles will knock the green stuff off the inside, then you can rinse them out & tip the stones back out. If they don't come out, it's not the end of the world :)

chaps89

Visit site
Didn't expecct to see 2 pages of replies this morning, lol.
Bit wary of using bleach and whatnot, even if you rinse it I think I'd be forever paranoid of poisoning the horses :eek: Suppose sterlients can't be harmful if used for baby bottles etc tho. They're not my container sso would check with YO first.
The top is too small to fit a scrubbing brush in, I've tried :(
Water and bits of gravel sounds a good compromise. Don't particularly wish to buy new containers as we are *supposed* to be having automatic water troughs & a tap put in over summer (fingers crossed) so they will become redundant apart from in emergencies so it's only to get them a bit cleaner in the mean time.

WelshD

Visit site
I get my containers from a health club, they have to pay to get rid of chlorine and Calgon containers so are happy to have people that will take them. Rinsed out thoroughly they are fine to use, I normally fill, leave for a day, tip out then rinse out a few times

Spiritedly

Visit site
I use bread....put some bread in with a little water and shake it about then just empty and rinse after. :D

Pasture Mix

Visit site
Gravel/pebbles has worked well for me in the past 'cause there is no worry about chemicals & how long to spend rinsing them before you feel safe using them again :)