Cleaning willies

Petrie

Visit site
is something I KNOW I don't do often enough! Let's face it, it's not the greatest of horse jobs, is it!

How often do you do it? And what techniques do you use? And is there any way you can get a horse to dangle it's bits for washing?!

I do it about twice a year, with warm water and baby shampoo, a bit of clean sponge, and rubber gloves. I can never get them to dangle, so I clean around the outside bits, then go up inside the sheath a bit.

Ugh, making me gag just thinking about it.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How often do you do it? And what techniques do you use? And is there any way you can get a horse to dangle it's bits for washing?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrrrr....never
crazy.gif

They don't have someone to do it for them in the wild after all
tongue.gif

BBs

Visit site
See I have the same problem - not me personally
wink.gif
snooop!!

He has a filthy willie
crazy.gif
and although I had a battle with it the other day (foam everywhere) and snoop stood like a dream - I caught him waving it in the wind the other morning and its is still full of crusty scabs
frown.gif

By the time I get there armed with damp sponge he put it to bed again GAHHHH

His back legs have a horrid greasy stain down them where he gets his bits out when Im not there.

Reading on the bottle it says gentley pull penis out - now snoopy is being very well behaved - however, if i start yanking at his manhood I can see me being told where to stick it (probably wrong phrase
crazy.gif
)

Any tips also gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I used to clean it until I read various threads on here (and an article in H&H iirc) and since then Ive left well alone. I keep an eye on it when he's weeing etc just to make sure everything looks normal and what not... but i have heard that cleaning it just messes with the natural balance.

I used to have a gelding that could bend right round and would lick his own
frown.gif

thank god i have a mare!!!!!!!!!!

Someone i know struggled with hers for ages - similar to you, stains on hinds, couldn't gt all the crust off before he put it away etc. She started to use baby oil and thinks it is fab....
Put a glove on and fill your hand with baby oil and then quickly get hold of the willy and cover it with the baby oil before they put it away. The next day, or after a couple of hours, take a sponge, wipe it and all the crust will come straight off really easily!!!!

Lill

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

His back legs have a horrid greasy stain down them where he gets his bits out when Im not there.

Reading on the bottle it says gentley pull penis out - now snoopy is being very well behaved - however, if i start yanking at his manhood I can see me being told where to stick it (probably wrong phrase
crazy.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but PMSL!!!!
shocked.gif

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrrrr....never
crazy.gif

They don't have someone to do it for them in the wild after all
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Know what you are saying..but in the wild they would be..well..using it a bit more.

Not something I have had to worry about while the gelding has been away,,I do very occasionally loosen off any really sharp bits but there is no routine to it

Parkranger

Visit site
Leave well alone unless you can smell it from 50 paces or there's anything untoward coming out of it!

If you use lots of detergents etc you can do more harm than good....my thinking is that they don't carry around sponge and soap in the wild......

Lill

Visit site
I never clean Blue's although dopey horse that he is managed to gash it open whilst trashing field fences a few years back
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
- cut was about 1.5inches square and open - really really gross!! Got Vet out who just gave him bute and said keep an eye on it and he was fine! Was not pleasant to look at though!
blush.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
erm I hate to say it but they do have someone in the wild to clean it for them, it's called the mare that they're covering...

sallyf

Visit site

Most times before we do an A.I collection or cover a mare.
In the winter not unless i can help it.
Easy in the summer though as they have there tackle out ready , just got to keep them still long enough
grin.gif

Petrie

Visit site
thanks everyone for replying!

I'm now feeling much less guilty for avoiding it.

As for not doing it at all, I would LOVE to, but I had heard that they can get infections if you just leave it.

And in the wild, they would be getting it out and using it, so it is a bit different.

Mine are both a bit 'willy shy', especially when they see the rubber gloves and bucket looming, but I'll keep some baby oil nearby so next time it's out, I can grab it.

They are quite strong though, aren't they?! When they try to pull it back, you've got no chance really.

Lill

Visit site
Lol Blue seems to think he is still a stallion and shags three of our mares whenever he feels like it in the Summer,
blush.gif
strangely he does not try it on with Holly though!
smirk.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ive been around horses a long time and only known this happen once. It was last year and it was my YO's old grand prix horse.. he got a very nasty infection and despite antibiotics and lots of cleaning, they couldnt get on top of it and the decision was made to put him to sleep (he was in his early 30s mind).

I must admit, when that was going on it terrified me too and I did go through a cleaning phase but reading things on the net shows many people (including vets) believe you should just leave it well alone.

sallyf

Visit site
When you think that our stallions havnt been washed before they have there swabs taken , very little bacteria ever comes back on the results .
So on the whole although there is gunk in there i think they are pretty clean really.

peapod

Visit site
This "guide" has been doing the rounds recently - personally I just squirt with some babyoil when he lets down and leave it! Anyway - it's quite entertaining:

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Hand

Step 1) Check to make sure there are no prospective boyfriends, elderly neighbors, or Brownie troops with a line of sight to the proceedings. Though of course they're probably going to show up unexpectedly ANYWAY once you're in the middle of things. Prepare a good explanation.

2) Trim your fingernails short. Assemble horse, hose, and your sense of humor (plus, ideally, Excalibur cleanser and perhaps thin rubber gloves).

3) Use hose (or damp sponge) to get the sheath and its inhabitant wet. Uh, that is, do this in a *civilized* fashion with due warning to the horse; he is apt to take offense if an icy-cold hose blasts unexpectedly into his personal regions

4) Now introduce your horse to Mr Hand . What I find safest is to stand facing the horse's head, with my shoulder and hip snugly against the horse's thigh and hip so that if he makes any suspicious move such as raising his leg, I can feel it right away and am in any case pressed so close that all he can do is shove, not really kick.

The horse should be held by an assistant or by your free hand, NOT tied fast to a post or to crossties. He may shift around a good bit if he's not happy with Mr Hand's antics, but don't be put off by that; as long as you are patient and gradual, and stick close to his side, he'll get over it.

Remember that it would be most unladylike of you to simply make a direct grab for your horse's Part. Give the horse a clue about what's on the program. Rest your hand against his belly, and then slide it back til you are entering The Home of the Actual Private Part. When you reach this first region of your destination, lube him up good with Excalibur or whatever you're using.

If the outer part of his sheath is really grungy you will feel little clods and nubblies of smegma peeling off as you grope around in there. Patiently and gently expedite their removal.

5) Thus far, you have probably only been in the outer part of the sheath. The Part Itself, you'll have noticed, is strangely absent. That's because it has retired shyly to its inner chambers. Roll up them thar sleeves and follow in after it

6) As you and Mr Hand wend your way deeper into the sheath, you will encounter what feels like a small portal that opens up into a chamber beyond. Being attentive to your horse's reaction, invite yourself in . You are now in the inner sanctum of The Actual Private Part. It's hiding in there towards the back, trying to pretend it isn't there. Say hi and wave to it .

No, really, work your finger back and forth around the sides of it. If the horse won't drop, this is your only shot at removing whatever dried smegma is clinging to the surface of the Part itself. So, gently explore around it, pulling out whatever crusty topsoil you find there. Use more water and more Excalibur if necessary to loosen attached gunk.

7) When Mr Hand and the Actual Private Part have gotten to know each other pretty well, and the Part feels squeaky clean all around, there remains only one task: checking for, and removing, the bean. The bean is a pale, kidney-shaped accumulation of smegma in a small pouch just inside the urethra. Not all horses accumulate a bean, but IME the majority do, even if they have no visible external smegma.

So: the equine urethra is fairly large diameter, and indeed will permit you to very gently insinuate one of your slimmer fingers inside the urethral opening. Do so, and explore upwards for what will feel like a lump or "pea" buried no more than, I dunno, perhaps 3/4" in from the opening. If you do encounter a bean, gently and sympathetically persuade it out with your finger.

This may require a little patience from BOTH Mr Hand AND the horse, but the horse will be happier and healthier once it's accomplished. In the rare event that the bean is too enormous for your finger to coax out, you might try what I did (in desperation) last month on the orange horse: Wrap thumb and index finger around the end of the Part and squeeze firmly to extrude the bean. Much to my surprise it worked and orange horse did NOT kill me for doing it and he does not seem to have suffered any permanant damage as a result ;-> I have never in my life seen another bean that enormous, though.

Now all that's left to do is make a graceful exit and rinse the area very thoroughly in apology for the liberties you've taken . A hose will be MUCH easier to use here than just a sponge and bucket, IME. Make sure to direct the water into the Part's inner retreat too, not merely the outer part of the sheath. This may require you to enfold the end of the hose in your hand and guide it up there personally.

9) Ta-da, you are done! Say, "Good horsie" and feed him lots of carrots. Watch him make funny faces at the way your hands smell. Hmm. Well, perhaps there is ONE more step...

10) The only thing I know of that is at all effective in removing the lovely fragrance of smegma from your hands (fingernails arms elbows and wherever else it's gotten) is Excalibur. Even then, if you didn't use gloves you may find you've got an unusual personal perfume for a while. So, word to the wise, do NOT clean your horse's sheath just before an important job interview or first date
and of course, there is that one FINAL step...

11) Figure out how to explain all this to your mother (or the kid from next door, or the meter reader, or whoever else you've just realized has been standing in the barn doorway speechlessly watching the entire process.)

Now, go thou forth and clean that Part

[/ QUOTE ]

seaview

Visit site
my gelding used to be a star, when you puleld his tail!!!! he got er (excited / relaxed) and it dropped out, you could do anything then!!!!

He had one of the er not nice ones though!!!

N
x