Clear round report, with pics & vids to make it more interesting

vam

Visit site
Ok so clear round isn't exactly a competition and its really not as interesting or exciting as other things on here but I know it's been mentioned that there isn't many reports on here anymore so I thought I would do one. Might as well lay it all out there.

So it was a bit of a good and bad day at Felbridge clear round on Monday. Horse was good, I was bad. :eek:
So not the best prep leading up to it, I’ve only jumped her when I first tried her 6 weeks ago and at my lesson the other week, even that was only over a couple of small fences so going somewhere spooky like Felbridge to do a course was perhaps a bit optimistic.
She loaded and traveled well (big relief), got there and left her in the lorry to see how it was going. They were running dressage as well so it wasn’t as quiet as I had hopped but I thought I would see how she warmed up and go from there. Got back to the lorry to find she had sweated up. She is a pretty laid back horse but she is incredibly impatient. She was fussing and scraping before I loaded her and as soon as the lorry stops she starts scraping. She does it a feed times and when it’s time to go out in the field so it’s not so much stress of being on there just that she wants off and to crack on. I think she will get better with time but she will need to learn to stand on the lorry as it’s not always possible to tie her to the side at a lot of show grounds.

Anyway jumped on and she settled right down and off we went to warm up. First mistake of the day. I didn’t put my name down earlier so by the time I got to the warm up there was going to be a long wait. There seems to be a real issue with multiple horse riders at Felbridge being badly organised, more so than any other place I’ve been so I did get pushed down however the lady on the gate was on the ball and it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.
As Jools is an impatient miss we did have to walk a bit in the warm up as she didn’t want to stand around, fair enough. She did warm up really nicely, paying attention to me and not getting too distracted. I did see some long ones but thinking back I think they felt long because I wasn’t burying her.
Had to wait some more then had a canter round and popped her over a fence again and went in. She had a good look round but did try and focus once we got going. I’m super pleased with her, she had a moment at number 2 which was the bright orange filler and went from a standstill and although wobbled and looked a bit always went. I rode a bit defensively and possibly didn’t have enough leg to keep her straight and forward but we got round clear.

Went back in a few horses later, she felt more confident but we came unstuck at 2 again, although she was taking me forward I really didn’t have enough leg and we came to a stop again and did a slow mo from stand still. It wasn’t pretty and I'm not pleased with myself for not slipping my reins going over but she seemed to forgive me. She was more bold through the rest of the course and again I didn’t have enough leg on and was a bit braced, I did that just because they feel forward doesn’t mean you take your leg off and sit like a passenger thing. Again I need to sit up more and not drop her just before a fence, I think I just let her run on a bit.
Loaded to go home perfect, wasn’t impressed about stopping for diesel but unloaded at home without a care in the world.

I'm super pleased with her, she just need mileage. I however need to get over my brain freeze when riding a course, I struggled before at times but after 3 years since I last jumped a course it was pretty bad. I was angry, upset and disappointed after about how badly I let the mare down by not riding properly and dropping her in front of the fences. I looked back at the vids and realised I can take some positives, my lower leg was pretty stable and I didn’t drop her as much as I thought. I was still too tense and handy but I think now I’ve got that first show type ride done I can start to focus a bit more.

Vids of the warm up and the 2 rounds, warts and all plus a couple of pics because she’s cute.... :biggrin3:

Warm up https://youtu.be/3GFtfJcdg38

First round https://youtu.be/SrgWwGdgQQI

Second round https://youtu.be/W2f1OmnQ5cI

cc6abf82-8e1a-4362-b188-d65894ef4b08_zpsp9telesj.jpg

f3d13d83-756b-42a3-abd9-081fb5e14375_zpsqadcrni3.jpg

20160530_1232460_zpshdjdnzzy.jpg

20160530_123835_zpsqozengr2.jpg

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I think you're being hard on yourself - a bit of tension is forgivable as it's early days as you said and your position looked pretty good from where I'm sitting! Looks like a fantastic venue but there is lots to look at, with long runs between the fences. I'll be looking forward to watching your progress, your mare is beautiful :)

Bernster

Visit site
Ah well done, she looks like a sweety. Def lots to like and it's all good experience. I agree that it's a case of just getting the first outing out of the way, working out how to get the best out of em, and onwards and upwards from there.

I also think you are being far too harsh on yourself, as riders seem to be. I often find that the vid doesn't look nearly so bad as it felt (generally still not great in my case, but not as horrid as I imagine!).

Thanks for posting!

almostthere

Visit site
Felbridge has to be one of the most spooky of venues with the pond (were the frogs making a racket? ;) ) and the climbing teddy bears up the side of fences so well done you for taking her there as a first outing :). I too think you are being harsh on yourself...we all get caught out from time to time and (I think) this is a new partnership so take heart, stop beating yourself up and be proud of what you have achieved (which is actually a hell of a lot if you think about it) rather than what (in your eyes) you didn't! (I too am really bad at focussing on the positives but am trying really hard now..it's a good tip ;)

vam

Visit site
I am my own worse critic. My biggest problem is self doubt so I'm always worried I will make a mistake and f up, that affect my nerves more than anything.
If I had waited a few days this report would be more positive, I would have had time to work though the vids, work out what I did and then what I need to do in the future and work on. I'm someone who likes a plan and wants to push myself to improve, I like the focus but it can also have a bit of a strangle hold on me. I am better once I'm in the swing of things and I know I shouldn't beat myself up but its hard. I don't want perfection, just better....

Anyone know where the brain's off switch is!

Bernster

Visit site
Anyone know where the brain's off switch is!

Yes, it automatically engages when the bell rings and you start your round haha. My brain freezes instantly and then starts to ooze out my ears. It returns when the round is done ;-)

Mince Pie

Visit site
The main ring at Felbridge is a nightmare! I've nearly been dumped in that little pond more than once lol

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Well I think you looked super, you gave her two lovely confident rounds.

Looks very spooky, I've not managed to get to Felbridge yet but glad I didn't go seeing those jumps as I've hardly jumped recently.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
She looks great and so do you. As a first outing it looks like it went really well. Look forward to future reports and maybe I will see you IRL one day if I am ever brave enough to go to felbridge

LouisCat

Visit site
Love that last picture, her face is so pretty!
I think you did a great job. You had no idea what to expect from her and (promise I'm not being rude) you probably felt a bit rusty yourself. Well done :)

vam

Visit site
She looks great, you need to give yourself more credit!

I loved your OH(?)'s commentary as you were warming up!

Thank you, He has spent so much time watching and videoing lessons etc, he makes really good eyes on the ground! Although I sometimes get grumpy when he reminds me to do something mainly because I know he is right :p

Well I think you looked super, you gave her two lovely confident rounds.

Looks very spooky, I've not managed to get to Felbridge yet but glad I didn't go seeing those jumps as I've hardly jumped recently.

Thank you. They do nice small classes with the fillers out to the side if you fancy giving it ago without worrying to much about the jumps. Its a great confidence boost getting round there :)

She looks great and so do you. As a first outing it looks like it went really well. Look forward to future reports and maybe I will see you IRL one day if I am ever brave enough to go to felbridge

Thank you. Its a good place to go, if they can jump there, they can most places. I don't tend to compete there as it is normally so busy and a bit disorganised but they have good fillers and the noisy pond so make the most of it when they have cr on.

vam

Visit site
The main ring at Felbridge is a nightmare! I've nearly been dumped in that little pond more than once lol

My ginger one used to be convinced the noisy frogs where actually alligators and were going to eat him ;) Oh then there was the time a duck landed in it while I was going past....

Love that last picture, her face is so pretty!
I think you did a great job. You had no idea what to expect from her and (promise I'm not being rude) you probably felt a bit rusty yourself. Well done :)

Thank you, I am super rusty, I woke up aching on Monday!

blood_magik

Visit site
it sounds like there are plenty of positives to be taken from your outing. 🙂

don't be too hard on yourself. you got round - sure, there were a few sticky moments but you got over everything and stayed on. that's always a win for me, especially with a new horse that you've barely jumped. 😄

well done.