Cleft Lip/Palate

Scarlett

Visit site
Folks,

A few months ago we took on a 8 month old Boxer x Staffy from a rescue. He has a deformity to his face that the rescue were told was due to him being kicked as a puppy, then they were told he was born with it - his lower jaw is also misshapen and doesn't quite match up and he also had cigarette burns on him. The rescue vet operated on it to remove some excess bone and some teeth that were growing out the way and stitched his lip back across, sadly the stitches came apart just after we took him on and our own vet doesn't think it's worth trying to restitch. Our vet is torn between it being a harelip he was born with and a trauma injury, it doesn't quite fit into either.

Either way it doesn't seem to affect him and while that's the case we will leave it as anything we did now would be just cosmetic.

I've spent hours reading stuff on cleft lips, but almost everything I read is about puppies and people hand rearing them, there's very little out there about how the dogs cope as they get older. He's now nearly 14 months and I'm hoping the reason I can't find much is because once they get over the puppy stage it has very little affect on their lives.

Does anyone have any experience of this, esp in dogs 1yr +.

Here he is in the sun this weekend...
attachment.php

As he's gotten bigger (he's grown a lot since we got him) it's opened quite a bit.

Any stories, good or bad, would be appreciated.