Clegs ( horse flies )

Lady Jane

Visit site
I take anthihistamine every day but double the dose if I get a bite.Cover my arms when riding when they are bad and use various types of repellant - none of which I am convinced work! Look forward to other suggestions

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If I get bitten, I use the little zapper, like a tiny taser. It stings while you zap, but in a nice way. It seems to kill the poison, dry it up or whatever.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I killed my first one today. I hate them with a passion. Bad news is that these evils winged insects can smell your blood up to a 1km away. You must be particularly tasty. I take to spraying myself with the horses fly spray when we go out riding. Ready supply of anti histamine tablets and cream are essential summer purchases.

moscow_mule

doggy paddling through the custard of life
Visit site
So if
I killed my first one today. I hate them with a passion. Bad news is that these evils winged insects can smell your blood up to a 1km away. You must be particularly tasty. I take to spraying myself with the horses fly spray when we go out riding. Ready supply of anti histamine tablets and cream are essential summer purchases.
I don't know whether
I’ve got four of the damn bites on my legs currently, they’re everywhere here.
outchy :eek:

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Long sleeves and light colour. Clegs hunt by detecting heat and dark is warmer.

I put up two horsefly traps this summer and they were catching them 10 days before the first one was seen on an equine.

Red-1

Visit site
If zebra stripe fly repellent rugs work.... why can we not have fly(cleg) repellent clothing? Just asking :confused:

I have been looking on eBay, loads of long sleeved tunics/shirts!

Have a look at these photos from my I bought a Cob thread, got us both decked out in stripes. On me it is just a striped skirt tho.

Red-1

Visit site
Here is a photo. I do have the striped backside too, but we were on the road that day so had a day-go backside and striped front!

The weather cooled down today, I dug some more of the zebra pantomime horse outfit out of storage. Aaaaaand...
Tonight, we had a fabulous ride out! The stripes really do keep the flies away. Bliss! Photos courtesy of a kind neighbour.

Rigsby has been on some rather expensive gut medicine, £200 so far
1f644.png
but it has worked! He was up for a lovely ride out tonight. No plodding for Riggers, he was a cob on a mission! We were out for an hour and a half, our longest ride yet, and he came back striding out just the same as when he was fresh.

Happy days!

I am so glad I cancelled everything a few weeks ago. I knew he was not enjoying himself, and was puzzled as he wasn't lame. Sore guts, explains it all. He must be relieved that I listened, and I am glad that I asked Fiona to come and take a look. She is a one off. Amazing. No conventional signs of ulcers, on a teenage horse with many issues, and she was adamant that it wasn't feet or lameness, also that Rigsby wasn't ready to retire quite yet. I think she has X ray eyes!

View attachment 73983
View attachment 73984

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Ambling away on a long rein out hacking yesteday, chatting away and then I am in a bush! Poor horse had one on his face and was trying to brush it off. Bush failed, but I managed to kill that one.

I however did get got, on the knee as is often the case and its SO itchy and huge. :( Hate them, really hate them. But never knew them as clegs, so learnt something today.7

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Out in force from today..thank goodness I’d got both ponies fly rugs ready. Unfortunately I was in black clothing and although I’d sprayed Jungle formula spray on me the b*****s were landing on me.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
I ride with whips that have a 'ponytail' attached (forget the proper name!) so I can flick cleggs off me and the horse. Horses wear light green ride on fly rugs with a frond and a fly fringe on their browbands. Plus Tritec14 is applied everywhere known to man. I wear bright / light colours too. On a bad day I have been known to wear a midgie net over my hat. God knows what the neighbours think!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Are ride on fly sheets suitable for all work? Took horse to a canter track with a friend and we had to stop as everyone was being eaten alive by the barstewards. My horse was trying to remove them in fast canter, it was not fun....