Cleveland Bay Peeps!

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi there to all the Cleveland Bay experts out there. Ive been to a local show today and spent some time with a pure bred CB, he was beautiful and had a nature to die for. Ive always been strictly an Irish Draught person myself (I have one 17hh mare and a 16.1 gelding who looks like hes probs going to have to be retired due to ill health), anyway I was wondering what the weight carrying abilities of the Cleveland are? Anyone whos read any of my earlier posts will know i'm not exactly light so need a horse that can carry quite a bit of weight!

Thankies in advance for your help.

Luv Jayne xx

Irishcobs

Visit site
A lot!
I used to work with a CB that had 10 1/2" of bone, 16.3hh and was solid.
You can obviously get lighter builds and heavier builds like the ID.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
In my head I've always regarded Irish Draughts and Cleveland Bays as somewhat similar in both build and disposition - both are cracking types with the potential to carry substantial weight.
smile.gif
I wouldn't restrict yourself to looking at purebreds, a nice crossbred hunter type (ideally with blood from either of the aforementioned breeds) would probably suit you down to the ground.

Tinker_Belle

Visit site

I've always classed them in the same category, lovely solid horses that are capable of carrying a good weight.

I'm a massive fan of Clevelands & ID's both for their nature & disposition & their build & presence.

Stinkerstonkersmum (I think that's right
blush.gif
) on here might be able to help you a bit more.

She has a lurvely Cleveland
laugh.gif

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi, thanks all three of you for your replies. I think I would probs need one of the heavier either pure breds or a crossed with a heavier type, as were talking carrying probs in the region of 19 stone when all tacked up etc. My big ID mare seems to have no probs carrying this weight but I get really paranoid that i'm too heavy really to ride at all. I am currently trying to do something about my weight, but its very hard unfortunately!

Thanks again youve been very helpful as always on here!

Luv Jayne xx

cariad

Visit site
Weightwatchers is the only thing that worked for me with losing weight!

My partner breeds Cleveland Bays at Lincoln University and the stallion, Prince (Lindon Principal) has such a good temperament that he is able to be used in school lessons for the students. The University is so hot on the dreaded Health and Safety that if there was the slightest doubt about his temperament, he'd be out. He has won the King George ridden class twice in three attempts and he does dressage, jumps, hunts and generally hacks about with my partner, who is quite novicey. He has been best CB 2 year old at the Royal Show and best ridden pure bred CB there amongst many other wins at County level. He is just about to be affiliated at dressage. He is 16.1/16.2.

However, at home we have Dorothy, a one eyed brood mare who is built like a tank and was described by the vet nurse as "built like a small tenement block". She must be 16.3. and I suspect she could tow artics.

They are weight carriers and you can get them quite huge, certainly 17.2. is not unusual. Some of the breeders like the big showy ones with bone; some like the smaller more sporty ones as being easier to sell for riding.

A few years back, we had a Cleveland Bay/Irish Draught Challenge at the University as a bit of fun. Both breeds entered pure and part bred teams of 4 and they had to do a Novice dressage test, a round of show jumping and then were judged on conformation and ride. Honours were even at the end, as the CB's won pure and the ID's won part breds. In the ride/conformation line up you would have been hard pressed to distinguish a bay ID from a CB.

CB's get a bad press but once you get to know them as a breed, you realise it's just like anything else -good and bad individuals. My own view is that they respond well to a one on one relationship. They really do scrub up well as well. We know Stinkerstonkersmum and she has been a real ambassador for the breed.

Daffers

Visit site
I totally agree with u that they tend to get bad press, i have a 17.2 cb x tb mare on loan and would def go for another one!!!! Yeah she can be "stubborn" but give them time and space, they'll be ur best mate!!!! She was so quick to pick up on the parelli training we dabbled in that she even shocked me!!

Ezme

Visit site
Uh oh, the P word! lol

Clevlands are coaching horses, so great in my book! They're bred to be tough and go over bad ground very quckly, a coaching horse would cover 10miles at a fast canter/gallop then stop and probabily do this a couple times a day.

On the other hand the ID is bred to be the ultimate alrounder, pull the plow during the week, hunt on saturday and go to church on sunday!

I couldn't seperate the two, their both gorgeous to boot! I'd love to have pure of either.

Daffers

Visit site
Uh O the P word......yeah i know ok shoot me down lol.... I do try to keep my opinions to myself bout that word!!!!
grin.gif