Cleveland Bay Poll v3.0

CBHS should have a part-bred stud book

• Total voters

Zuzan

Visit site
Another p/b .. classic CB x TB .. really couldn't have asked for a better horse. She is registered with the CBHS

Aredis

Visit site
Spent many hours researching stallions before breeding and producing Jaguar Moon, my part bred Cleveland Bay.

I took pride in registering her with CBHS, she is also registered with SHB(GB) to allow her to compete in hunter classes.

Very proud and probably more than a bit lucky that the planning worked and Jaguar Moon is all I dreamt of.

She has always been promoted as a Part Bred Cleveland Bay above all else.

With most part breds there will be choice to make between stud books. My own view is register with the dams stud book first and / or over stamp with CBHS..

I also put all my horses onto Sport Horse Data and where possible NED so their history can be traced.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10534126

Currently have four pure bred Cleveland Bays and one part bred.

Steve

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
We have had a few CB x TB but do not see the point for geldings? Our current one is SHB registered.

Zuzan

Visit site
We have had a few CB x TB but do not see the point for geldings? Our current one is SHB registered.

I think there would be huge benefits for the CB breed as registered / acknowledged part bred CBs are wonderful sport / performance horses.. I think the CB needs to be credited for the strength and stamina it brings to sport horse breeding as well as wonderful movement. I personally think the CB has not recieved the acknowledgement for its contribution to much breeding and this I think might help redress this.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Umm I am not convinced about lovely movement! All ours despite excellent TB stallions (current one is by Krisinsky) being used are slightly upright in the shoulder and move in a distinctly average way especially compared to everything else. But our current one is nearly 22 and still hunting twice a week and if you ask people how old he is they think he is about 10. He is typically CB as stubborn, piggy eyed and has great feet.
I can see why you might want to keep a record of their performance but ultimately the society is looking for pure breds?

Zuzan

Visit site
Umm I am not convinced about lovely movement! All ours despite excellent TB stallions (current one is by Krisinsky) being used are slightly upright in the shoulder and move in a distinctly average way especially compared to everything else. But our current one is nearly 22 and still hunting twice a week and if you ask people how old he is they think he is about 10. He is typically CB as stubborn, piggy eyed and has great feet.
I can see why you might want to keep a record of their performance but ultimately the society is looking for pure breds?

Crikey ... sounds utterly different to all the CBs I have met.. I don't remember seeing any upright shoulders.. or piggy eyes.. they have brains and opinions yes but I wouldn't say stubborn....????? you a very different perception of the breed to me.

I have seen many more TBs with upright shoulders and piggy eyes than I have CBs

Interestingly my partbred is by a CB stallion out of a TB mare (both of high quality) I wonder if that way around is likely to result in better conformation?

Yes the CBHS needs to preserve the breed but acknowledging the partbreds and the good influence of the CB on sport horse breeding can at least partially be addressed by a part bred stud book

ScratchyMooMoo

Visit site
Me neither, don't get me wrong, mines very querky for sure, difficult to train on the flat, very opinionated too! but when it comes to jumping, he's such a sparky brave little horse, a super athelete with a fab jump, he is the boldest horse I have ever sat on. He has such stamina too I've never known him get tired. I would definitely have another even with the querks. His plus points far out way the negatives, he's a nice looking chap too.

LEC

www.youtube.com
I am perhaps overly critical of him but ultimately he has been a brilliant horse. We had one out of CB stallion with TB mare and that had the same movement.

This is the gelding - aged 20
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galleries/v/Hunting/weston-banwell/_F7W1964.jpg.html

They have never been quirky - they are very straightforward but I consider lying down rather than being loaded as a 4yo stubborn! They do grow out of it but I would hate to see a CB who was allowed their own way.

Rollin

Visit site
Me neither, don't get me wrong, mines very querky for sure, difficult to train on the flat, very opinionated too! but when it comes to jumping, he's such a sparky brave little horse, a super athelete with a fab jump, he is the boldest horse I have ever sat on. He has such stamina too I've never known him get tired. I would definitely have another even with the querks. His plus points far out way the negatives, he's a nice looking chap too.

Stamina is one of the wonderful characteristics of the breed. there are only about 500 pure breds left in the world and many just used for breeding, so it is amazing to think that two pure bred mares in the UK have competed to 80kms in endurance. One was third in the UK cup, the other made times as good as any Arab in 30deg temps.

If you look at Horse Breeders Magazine on line you will find an article I wrote on the CB. The part-bred Peter Semple was placed three times in the first three of the Grand National.

The year his jockey was thrown, Peter was caught remounted and finished second. His jockey was an amateur and the winner was ridden by the greatest steeple chase jockey of the day.

ScratchyMooMoo

Visit site
That's really interesting I'll go read it. It's a shame they have been over looked as a breed, a lot of people think they're difficult. When I tell people mines part CB they are quite surprised as they think they are all stubborn, which isn't the case as far as mine goes. He has got a mind of his own and likes to think for himself! But I think that's what makes him so bold and brave.

Zuzan

Visit site
....... a lot of people think they're difficult. When I tell people mines part CB they are quite surprised as they think they are all stubborn, which isn't the case as far as mine goes. He has got a mind of his own and likes to think for himself! But I think that's what makes him so bold and brave.

Yes exactly.. they don't do micro management.. ;)