Cleveland Bays and Cleveland bay X's - tell me about them please!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I worked for someone who had a pure bred one years ago and he was a complete brute, only she handled and rode him he had a big sign on his door saying beware I bite, unfortunately she was diagnosed with ms and became quite ill quickly, her instructor bought him for her riding school where I think mainly staff and more experienced clients rode him.

I used to look after and ride a CB x TB she was lovely a really sweet temperament and easy and safe to ride, she was such an elegant looking horse and did really well at dressage.

Billyandme

Visit site
Husband bought a CB Cross Welsh section D as a first horse. God he was a brute of a horse 17hh and could nap for GB. In the right and experienced hands he was a machine but in a novices hands a complete barsteward. I took him to rc show to do a prelim dressage test. Worked in fine. Whilst waiting in collecting ring to go in next, he whipped round, junped the ropes, over the top of a bloke sunbathing and tried to cart me back to the lorry.

We loaned him to the local hunt where he was worked hard but he would still nap on exercise if ridden solo. Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.

Littlebear

Visit site
I have known a few and personally would not have wanted to own any even though I love the stamp. I think those describing them as brutes I would agree was the right word for all of them that I have known.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
When I was looking for my first horse I was advised against a CB because they could be strong willed, have a mighty buck and be challenging. But I think that's the advice you'd give a novice owner and not someone in your position OP.

The only one I've known in person was a lovely, gentle calm horse. The owner even had videos of the horse being led by her 3 year old child (obviously mum very close by) to the field while their dog played around. The horse was an utter saint.